• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mobile service cart

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
While building the new RV barn, and previous with the boat, or on household projects, I used a small, low cart, similar to a wheel barrow but lower. We used this cart as a dock cart too. But I had always hated that it wasn't at countertop height. So I built one!

I thought some of you might want to build your own. I used a Kreg Jig to drill pocket holes to assemble all the pieces. That is the perfect too to attach a piece of lumber to another tight and strong.

The cart tables are 23"w X 30" long, with a handle arm that projects the top two side rails 36". I topped both tables with 1/2" plywood secured with 1 1/4" deck screws. The handle I attached and made from 5/16" all thread rod, inside of 1/2" pic, wrapped with 1/2" pipe insulation. I made three bushings out of some 1/2" tubing, with a 1/4 of it sliced lengthways out of each piece, to allows tight wrap around the all thread and to fit snug inside the pvc. I am going to make a removable table rim and pad the surfaces with tool box liner. I used 4" castors, the front swivel and lock, the rear are non articulating. The cart should hold 300-400 pounds easily.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
This cart cost me about $45, as all I had to buy was the castors, all the other material I had on hand, leftover from previous projects.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$45? I'll take two! ;) Great looking cart Mel.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bill D , I guess if you had to buy all the materials, you would add the cost of a half sheet of 1/4" plywood, 2x4's, 2' of 1/2" pic, 2' of all thread, misc. screws, nuts, and if you don't have a kreg jig, bows your opportunity to get a really great tool, along with castors. It's a bigger cart than the $120 commercial versions, and I expect evening it cost you $120, your getting a $150-200 cart. You could build this with deck screws and no jig, but it would the as uniformly even, nor would it be as strong. It has already served me installing the man door light over the new barn today.
image.jpeg

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd probably throw a couple of cross braces on the legs of that cart, other than that it looks great!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Scuba_ref On most any structure, I would agree about cross bracing. In all the carts I have looked at from harbor freight to northern tool and more, none were cross braced, even the ones capable of over 600 pounds support. With four vertical legs so close together, there is no forward/backward/lateral movement. It certainly wouldn't hurt but I don't think it will add a thing. Except that it would interfere with access to the bottom shelf. This cart will hold me easily without a creak.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks great, fun doing little projects like this. One thing I would throw on is a bit of a lip around the top to keep things from rolling off.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, my wife wants a lip too. But I tend to put all kinds of things up there. I was cutting conduit on it yesterday. So the lip is in my way. I have designed a wrap around lip I can use and remove. I'll build it when I get a chance.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@RightStuff , you and the wife win out! How about a little lip! Also put a little tool drawer padding on top.
image.jpeg

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You could router out or drill a few different notches for say 1/2"-1 1/2" areas to hold everything from conduit to steel fence post also. Or a mount for two chain vices on each end.