• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Money Doesn’t Buy Happiness

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
“Money doesn’t buy happiness.” Uh, do you live in America? ‘Cause it buys a WaveRunner. Have you ever seen a sad person on a WaveRunner? Have you? Seriously, have you? Try to frown on a WaveRunner. You can’t!

--Daniel Tosh

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Money may not buy happiness....but it buys a lot of S*** that can make you happy!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't take a selfie but I'm pretty sure the look on my face while being towed back on my broken Waverunner wasn't one of happieness.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it just a coincidence that all of the “rich people” I know are happy?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Money is like clean water or toilet paper. It's not enough to make you happy, but you will certainly be miserable without it.

The richest person doesn't have the most stuff, but needs the least. It's a state of mind. True riches are the ownership of ones time. The day I can boat the Caribbean without worry for money, or work, that's the day I'll be rich.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
“But it could buy me a boat, it could buy me a truck to pull it”, Chris Janson
https://g.co/kgs/9VUmNM

came here to post this.

Maybe this should be titled "DEBT" doesn't buy happiness!

Meh Ive come out of my credit union office smiling more times than I care to admit LOL 4 wheelers. Motorcycles, boats. cars..... :) the smile just gets bigger when you clear that debt...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Life changes, and your priorities change with it. While we all want to create memories with our kids and extended family and friends, life changes.

When you get s few years from retirement, you will start looking at your wealth, or lack there of, and try to put together the finances in your remaining years of work, what would have been simpler during your working years.

For us, shrinking, downsizing, and paycuts, finally gave way to restoration of benefits and pay. Getting the kids out of college and off the tit so to speak, will help you redirect your funds to actually fund your own support, where you were just playing with the idea before.

I retire in 3 years and 6 days. The house will be paid for in 2 year 2 months, and the motorhome will he paid for in 1 year 11 months. We will have no outstanding debt going into our last year of work before we retire, and will stockpile all we were paying on the house and motorhome. Now, let me scare you...we paid double on our house the last 5 years and will continue the next two years. And that was after a 15 year refi at 2.75%. So our double payments will have paid it off in half...7 years. We have been maxing out the 401K and playing catch up since I was 55. So that is 24K a year. Add up the house (x2), the motorhome, and the 401K, and that paid will reduce my monthly expenditures by $6600/month. Also, no more paying life insurance, another $300/mo. And we saved $2k into normal savings each month to pay for cars/boats/etc. so that’s another $2k we don’t have to pay.

The point is, when you retire, the income stream stops, so the debt has to stop. Or you better be able to afford your debt with your “fixed” retirement income. How much per month will your retirement provide you? I say that tongue and cheek following a 10% reduction in the market.

Gents/ladies, I’m not half done enjoying my life. I may have to get another boat pretty soon, may not be what you or I expected, but we need to feel alive. Be sure while your enjoying your life today, you provide enough for tomorrow, those are the most important years you will have on this earth. It is those years you can be self sufficient...or a burden to your children.

Last edited:

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Plenty of people die with money in the bank. Y?
How great would it be to know when you were going to go?
Are u happy when a health and fitness nut dies jogging in his 40s? I am better odds for my bacon loving self.
I would rather have a healthy kid and live in a trailer with a row boat in the yard, than have a permanently sick child and live in a mansion with a big boat docked out back.
Health is wealth.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
True riches are the ownership of ones time.
And so many people miss this fact. Time is the only commodity you can't get more of and should be your most highly valued asset.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will add to this! My saying is, money can’t buy happiness but fun is expensive! And fun generally is happiness...

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
“Money doesn’t buy happiness.” Uh, do you live in America? ‘Cause it buys a WaveRunner. Have you ever seen a sad person on a WaveRunner? Have you? Seriously, have you? Try to frown on a WaveRunner. You can’t!

--Daniel Tosh
🤔. Maybe tis is the formula for world peace?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve never met anyone who’s is here on a second tour....
RPW Jr.

Never seen a uhaul following the hearse to the graveyard..
JM.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In my humble opinion “Money doesn’t buy happiness” is something that people with money tell people without money or that people without money tell each other to make them feel better. That is, it’s a lie, but I use it and like to hear it anyway. For example, when I get compliments on my boat from people on the shore (“I wish I could afford a boat like that.” My reply, “thanks but having it is a lot of work”) or when I’m envious of a big house or someone else’s new car.

if I won a lottery jackpot or unexpectedly become rich overnight I would spend the rest of my proving or trying to prove the statement is false.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The wife and I both grew up poor, married young, and have no college education. We had nothing for the first few years of marriage. Out of sheer luck I walked into a really good paying job one day. The money was good for a few years, but the wife and I weren't happy. We fought all the time and almost split up once or twice. After getting laid off due to a poor economy, we sold off everything we owned that we didn't need, and barely scraped by for the next few years. We grew closer and were the happiest we'd ever been.

A few years later we started our own business. We've grown it to the point that we can't take on anymore clients without hiring a second crew. We've been blessed and have a better income than most my age and in my friend circle. But we've learned from our mistakes earlier in life. We don't focus on the money. The time and the people are where joy is at. If I lost my business tomorrow, I'd just shrug, smile and start over.

Money can buy things that provide some temporary happiness, but if can't provide contentment and joy. Find contentment in life and you'll never be unhappy again.