• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Motorcycles...Rules to Live By

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive seen a couple of threads since I’ve been here regarding riding and/or getting started in motorcycling. I’ve had some sort of two wheeled vehicle since I was 6 and recently became two wheeless when we bought our Yamaha. So with this, I think we should start a repository of best practices for motorcycle operation. Feel free to add.

Avoid riding on painted lines. Especially when wet. They are very slippery.

Avoid riding in the center of your lane. Ride in the tire tracks of four wheeled vehicles. The center of the lane collects oil. Very slippery when wet.

Don’t pull directly up behind vehicles at a red light. Stay way left and back far enough to make an exit if you need to. Always consider a way out.

When approaching vehicles that could pull in front of you from a side road, watch their wheels. It’s easier to see a wheel spinning indicating they are moving forward than actually seeing the car edging forward.

At intersections always square off your turns. No wide sweeping turns.

Stay back a little at stop signs or intersection. Most four wheeled drivers sweep around the turn instead of squaring off.

Use caution at the outside of turns. This is where gravel and salt deposits from normal driving.

For the first hour during a rain, use extreme caution. Oil drippings make the road extremely slippery until there is enough rain to wash off the excess oil.

Don’t trust someone’s turn signal. Especially if you can’t make eye contact.

Practice mirror memorization.

Always do a head check before passing or switching lanes.

Square off to railroad crossings when possible.

One of our golden rules while traveling was to be done riding by 7PM to avoid a deer collision.

I could go on forever but I’ll leave it at this so others can add.

Ride safe!
Mark

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When entering a large intersection and you have a green light I would always speed up or slow down to get next to a car in the lane next to me. It reduces the chance of a car pulling out in front of you by not picking up a lone bike going through the intersection.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be ready for everything and anything.

Mainain your bike and tires(check pressures often)

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When approaching an intersection, initially stay to the left of the lane so oncoming cars have a better chance of seeing you... I believe cars turning left in front of oncoming bikes they don't see is one of the most common accidents.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Always look where you wanna go. Don’t get target fixation in a corner or you will end up there.

Never ride outside your comfort level. It’s easy to get caught up in a group ride but know your boundaries. If it is a good group they will understand.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Consider buying the best fitting and most comfortable helmet you can find. Not an item you want to save on. I love the new Shoei Neotec flip-up that now has internal sun shield.

Watch for the leaves! Very slippery.

Always look where you wanna go.
So important! It literally is like that - especially in turns - you are likely to end up where you are looking. Make sure you are not looking into a ditch (no joke).

And a special note:
If you get a motorcycle with a sidecar - no matter how long you have been riding - plan on practicing for a while in some remote location before you take it out on public roads.
When you finally do hit the road make sure you carry a spare pair of underwear. You are going to need it, the first time you "fly" sidecar wheel on the street.

--

Last edited:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
all good points. my 2.5 cents:

-helmets save more lives than loud pipes. loud pipes are fun, but they should never be considered a safety device.

- "dress for the slide, not the ride" LOL mother in law told me that... funny but important.

-always assume that drivers cannot see you (more important now, with the cellphones in everyone's faces)

-many drivers wont see a motorcycle, if there is traffic. IF they're waiting to turn onto, or merge onto a road, they are looking for a space between cars, and may miss the bike.

-starting mid September, I also do not care to ride after dusk. Deer are thick here.

-I do not ride if it has been below freezing all night. Had a nice little incident with some ice on the shaded back of a hill once.

NOTE: When riding outside the "normal" riding season, like I like to do, all of those must be heightened. Drivers aren't looking for bikes... there's sand on roads...

ride safe! even with all the danger, and freezing cold, its still better than being in the cage. :)

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If riding in a group it is important to stagger lane positions. No need to have 2 motorcycles next to each other in same lane at 55mph.