• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mounting a Thru Hull transducer

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I ordered a thru hull Airmar P19, 20 degree transducer. It has an arrow pointing at the word, KEEL. In the directions, they say nothing except to be sure you have the right dead rise model. I mount this thing either side of the keel with the arrow pointing at the keel, not forward or backward. Judging by the way the cable comes out of it, it seems backwards. Help!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this a true thru hull transducer that you mount in a hole drilled through the hull?

image.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's no forward or backward it is only important to point it at the keel for the angle compensation. Not sure how the cord seems backwards. Got pics?

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Does that transducer have a fairing block? Is that what you mean when you say arrows?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@bruces pic is probably accurate, but you can't tell how the puck inside it is positioned. Pics tomorrow

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
looking forward to seeing this install... I have been considering this type of install....of course my transducer mounted just adjacent to the scupper plug is working just fine. We jetboaters don't exactly think like the "if it aint broke don't fix it"....its more like, "if it aint broke, I wonder if there is a new hole we can drill into the boat to make it more awesome"

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Boy that is the truth @utahrd .

Here are a few pics of the transducer. It
Seems tilted in the case opposite jowi to is marked. It shows the arrow to the keel, but the cord comes out of the top in the same direction, which seems wrong to me.
image.jpg
image.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
But even the pic you posted, @Bruce , shows the cord coming out opposite how I would expect, so I guess that is right.

I will post up pics of the install here @utahrd , it is actually easier to seal and probably more waterproof than a drilled hole above the waterline with a cable running through it...because you also have screw holes to hole the cover, screw holes to hold the wire clamps, and screw holes to mount the transducer...this way, only one hole, and it sandwiches the hull like the scupper or any thru hull device.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r, are you going to drill through the hull to mount your transducer?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will be excited to hear how it works. I chickened out on installing one. Are you hoping that having it in front of the Jets will improve functionality?

As far as direction I believe you can install it on either side as long as the arrow is pointed toward the keel and the hull is at a 20 degree or close angle.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They went to thru hull transducers for the depth sounder in the 240/242 and got away from the transom mount. So I intend to mount it in the mirror position opposite it on the other side of the keel. I think it is between the intakes. I'll get pics...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let me preface by observing that I have no idea of what I am talking about. And I have never installed a transducer. So I really don't know anything about this.

But, are you sure that the arrow is not supposed to be forward, the keel side toward the keel and the tilt side toward the side that tilts up (which shall not be greater than 20 degrees)?

So, I know nothing, but that is what I would think just looking at it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ironically, you may be correct @tdonoughue , because the stock transducer in the picture has an arrow pointing at the bow. This is my very reason for the thread...it doesn't add up.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It has the 20degree tilt within the tube...the arrow should point to the keel.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The exact same transducer for the stock sounder has the arrow pointing to bow.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Seems like I read someone else found this too. I'm going to call Garmin before I install it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Arrow is toward keel. If the arrow was to be facing bow you could only install it on one side of the boat (starboard).

One note..... Make sure you deal the raw fiberglass with epoxy be gore install. If you don't the glass may soak in water from either side.

Here's the same install sheet you probably have.
http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/installguide/17-364-01.pdf

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Murf'n'surf , your post there is confusing to me. The arrow is supposed to point at the keel. If the arrow pointed forward, the angle of the transducer would be way off no matter which side of the keel it was on. I was commenting that the arrow on the bottom of the puck on stock thru hull T/D is pointing forward. That is strange. I can't see the inside of it, until I pull the clean out tray...as it is mounted, as always, under the starboard side water box. I think I can drill, mount, and seal the new T/D without removing the water box, but it may be tight.

You also are confusing me about using epoxy. Our hull is fiberglass mat in fiberglass resin. It isn't core construction. I should not need to coat this or bed it in anything except life caulk. A few punctuation conflicts in your post above so I may not be getting the benefit of what you intended, could you clarify?