• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Mounting fire extinguishers

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How are people mounting their fire extinguishers? I have a Coast Guard approved one and a big CO2 unit. I'm thinking of mounting the CO2 under the starboard bow seat. Cut out a patch of carpet and use polyurethane glue and screws to the floor. The smaller one I'm thinking of mounting to the back of the port bow backrest inside the port console. Will the seat back hold the weight?

I put one inside the port bow, behind the back rest. been there for about a year now no problems. I just used the two stainless steel screws that came with it.

I bought some industrial strength velcro off of amazon and plan to velcro mine to the inside carpet under the furthest forward cushion in the main seating area. I'll take a picture when it's in.

I actually mounted mine just inside the port side compartment door on the floor parallel with the opening with the bracket and screws it came with. It's been surprisingly out of the way even though it's right there and I figured that would be easy to get to if the need ever came up. This summer I plan on re-doing my storage in there though so it might move...

Before I settled on that spot I was thinking about doing it in the rear port storage (by the battery) or right under the throttles by the driver side somewhere.

I mounted one in the starboard compartment just inside door with industrial velcro. Then one under port lounger mounted on the partition I put in for the battery charger plus the one next to the throttles. I know, overkill but I have seen two boats burn at our lake over the last several years with the crews having to go overboard. You would much rather it sink than burn.

I have a CO2 that looks alot like the Kidde. The black nozzle unscrews from the chrome tube on mine.

I mounted mine with Velcro from Lowes. One is just below the throttles beside the drivers seat mounted vertical. The other is in the battery area in front of the cooler mounted horizontal to the floor. Neither one has moved with some pretty good aggressive driving the last two times out.

I'd suggest keeping the mounting more mid boat or further front. I had a battery cable catch fire- self inflicted- and was not able to access the extinguisher that was mounted right next to the battery! Luckily didn't need it, but it did point out the fact that multiple extinguisher locations are a necessity. Surely the rear of the boat near the engines/batteries is the most likely place for a fire to occur, I'd keep whatever supplemental extinguishers I'm using mid-boat. Mine are in the storage locker and behind the helm, as well as one in the battery compartment.

One in the fire extinguisher stock holder aft of the throttles and a larger one in the starboard locker. My first mate(daughter) gives all newcomers the safety, shoes off and safe fun instructions. Helps keep her and her friends conscious of safety and it really looked good when the water patrol stopped me for a safety check. They complemented us and we got the Golden Ticket..

I mounted one at the helm, near the floor as far forward as I could get it and another in the head compartment on the aft bulkead - boat came with a couple of others mounted to the underside of the aft seat cushions which are PIAs because they get in the way of everything, and make getting the cushions in and out that much more difficult.

Back