• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mr1 vs tr1 ar210

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at upgrading to a ar210

Any outlook on the newer tr1 engines?
I know the mr1 engines are very reliable

So looking at 2015 vs 2017 used models

Of course for the right price I would buy a 212

Will the tr1 engine last as long as the mr1?
Are they louder then the mr1?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are many MR1s out there, but maybe not enough with experience on both. MR1 has been generally reliable, but complex/exotic with many valves and the reduction gear.

Not sure if the TR1 addresses these complex factors of the MR1. In practice the MR1 has been thought of very reliable in all my research, with a few outliers with valve train issues. Also Wet ECUs tend to break and can hydro lock the engine with excess fuel.

I own 2 MR1. So far so good.

EDIT: Seems the reduction gear has been removed on the TR-1. Revs lower so it's not needed.
https://www.boatingmag.com/yamaha-tr-1-high-output

proof will be in the pudin as determined by reported use. May the Odds be Ever in your Favor!

Last edited:

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe that the 21' hulls were redesigned with more sound proofing when the TR1s were first introduced in 2017, so they probably win the noise test. No one really knows about the long term reliability, but I am sure they'll be fine. Yamaha has a pretty good track record with engine reliability.

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
while im no expert in yamaha motors, i just brought our 2018 AR210 (twin TR-1s) homes yesterday. I read posts here where people said it was underpowered, etc... and I have to say that i think the twin TR-1s power the 21' boat pretty well. definitely fast enough for my needs. coming from a 23' cuddy cabin with a 350 efi mercruiser, this boat is much faster. im happy with my choice. the boat is louder than my old boat, but not obnoxiously so.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
while im no expert in yamaha motors, i just brought our 2018 AR210 (twin TR-1s) homes yesterday. I read posts here where people said it was underpowered, etc... and I have to say that i think the twin TR-1s power the 21' boat pretty well. definitely fast enough for my needs. coming from a 23' cuddy cabin with a 350 efi mercruiser, this boat is much faster. im happy with my choice. the boat is louder than my old boat, but not obnoxiously so.
The 210 lineup being underpowered comes from a time years ago when you could spend a bit more for twin 1.8s in the 212x or 212ss. Now there is a big gulf in between these models.