• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Multi Zone Control

austin65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2008 Yamaha AR230 with the following equipment
JVC KD-X37MBS Receiver
6 6.5 in boat speakers (two on swim deck)
1 10" Rockford M1 mounted behind drivers seat
4 8" Tower speakers
1 5 channel 750watt Rockford Marine amp
1 4 channel Boss Audio 3700 Watt amp (Not currently installed)
2 Rockford 200 x2 amps (not currently installed)

My question is how to control the tower speakers separately from the boat. the back of the receiver has a Rear, Front and Sub RCA ports. I have Roswell dual zone controller and hooked it up in conjunction with splitters and it worked, but it severely effected the quality of the sound. I took it to the local sound shop and they told me that I can't use it the way I had it. They told me to run the front channel rca's to the amp with the in boat speakers as well as the subwoofer RCA and then the rear channel RCA's to the tower speaker's amp and then use the splitters to make it so i have signal to both the front/rear inputs on the amps. They then told me i could use the roswell dual zone controller to hook to the receiver and the rear channel(tower amp) and contol the volume that way. I did that, and it all works fine, however i can't have the tower speakers on without the boat/subwoofer going.

Is there any options with the equipment I have? Or do i need a multi zone receiver? I would get one, but i'm limited on space to mount a new deck because of the space taken by the single din. I can't find any multi zone single din's that aren't a grand or more.

Thanks for the help.
oh the rockford amps are just extras. I don't think they can power the tower speakers unless I use them both. which means more wiring that i don't want to run across the boat. So i use the 4 channel Boss.

Thanks!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Honestly I would use a wetsounds WS-420-SQ. It will do everything you want it too and more.

austin65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. Does that allow you to turn the tower speakers up but leave the boat speakers down? The tower speakers go much louder than i want the boat speakers going. I looked at the pictures and it looks like the boat/tower are controlled in the same volume knob and then there's a main volume that controls everything?

austin65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Scratch that, I now see those knobs actually have two knobs in one. Makes sense now. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the help!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, you actually have full control over tower, sub, and interior speakers. I went one step further and separated the front of the boat with the rear of the boat.

austin65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh nice, do you happen to have any pics of the unit installed? i'd love to see where that fits and what it looks like.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

austin65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd rather do that, I like the control features on the WS unit but you're right, it's big and old school looking. I've had multiple people tell me to do bass knobs, but how does that work? The tower is on its own 5 channel amp, then the boat and subwoofer are on another 5 channel amp. The boat's amp already has a subwoofer knob on it to control the subwoofer. I can use the RCA dual zone knob as a second controller, but it makes it so i have to turn the deck up to turn the boat/tower/subwoofer up and then i have knobs to turn the tower and the subwoofer down, but not the tower too. if that makes sense. i'd like to be able to have the tower on and the boat not on. or much more quiet at least.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'd rather do that, I like the control features on the WS unit but you're right, it's big and old school looking. I've had multiple people tell me to do bass knobs, but how does that work? The tower is on its own 5 channel amp, then the boat and subwoofer are on another 5 channel amp. The boat's amp already has a subwoofer knob on it to control the subwoofer. I can use the RCA dual zone knob as a second controller, but it makes it so i have to turn the deck up to turn the boat/tower/subwoofer up and then i have knobs to turn the tower and the subwoofer down, but not the tower too. if that makes sense. i'd like to be able to have the tower on and the boat not on. or much more quiet at least.
If your deck has three outputs, I would do front for interior, rear for towers, and sub for sub. Those base knobs just go inline of the RCAs.

austin65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I did that, would I just leave the volume up to max on the deck and control the volume through the bass knobs?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How did you have the Roswell controllers set up and how is that different from the bass level knobs? Aren’t they the same? What sounded bad?

My plan was to use the Roswells when I add mid cabins and amps to my boat.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If I did that, would I just leave the volume up to max on the deck and control the volume through the bass knobs?
That's essentially what I did on my SX210..... I was able to change volume levels extremely quickly.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

austin65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did you have the Roswell controllers set up and how is that different from the bass level knobs? Aren’t they the same? What sounded bad?

My plan was to use the Roswells when I add mid cabins and amps to my boat.
I had the input put into the rear channel (which may have been the issue as I now believe the front's are stronger) and then I got splitters to hit the front and rear inputs on the amps. I had just finished running amps to the boat speaker and sub and it sounded great, but then when that got installed it sounded distorted at higher volumes. the sound shop just told me I can't use them and I can only really use those to control one amp. I may go try it again and put the inputs on the front RCA output instead. I'll let ya know. If not, i'll either get some bass knobs, which are very similar to what i already did, or get the WS-420-SQ and stop throwing money at it.

austin65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
None. In theory there shouldn’t be any either.
I like to hear that, could have been because I put the cables to the rear channel instead of the front? Guess we'll find out. I'll try to swap them tonight.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Boats need equalizers due to all the different size speakers and I have had them in other systems this time I installed two. This gives me two sub woofer zones and 4 other zones

20190531_200218_1559418850667_resized.jpg

20190531_200323_1559418848934_resized.jpg

20190703_121310_1562176982129_resized.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bass knobs don't give you control of the eq, that's why the 420 is WAY better. Ugly or not they serve a purpose allows for more fine tuning

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Bass knobs don't give you control of the eq, that's why the 420 is WAY better. Ugly or not they serve a purpose allows for more fine tuning
The 420 hardly gives you any EQ controls. Literally a 4 band and you don't even know what the Fqs are and its set to a 12dB slope. You can do some light tuning, but you cannot do "fine" tuning. Most radios these days have significantly more than what the 420 offers. If you want EQ on a boat get a Rockford DSR-1 (about the same price but magnitudes better in regards to tuning). This gives you any crossover points you want with 7 different octave selections, a 31 band EQ per channel, and digital time alignment.... all on your phone.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I like to hear that, could have been because I put the cables to the rear channel instead of the front? Guess we'll find out. I'll try to swap them tonight.
This shouldn't be an issue.... double check your fade is centered and gains are set equally on the amplifier.