• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Multiple battery setup question

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I purchased my first boat late last year, a 2013 yamaha 212x. I've spent the offseason adding/modifying/improving, etc. I have a question on the existing battery setup in this boat. I've done my best with a diagram below. Batteries 1,3, and 4 are Optima D31M and battery 2 is an optima 34M. Let me start by saying I have had zero trouble from this battery setup so far, I'm just trying to understand what is actually happening, and make sure that it is connected properly, and that I am using it properly. The circle in the diagram below is a common "perko" style switch, red with a "1" position, a "2" position", an "All" position, and an "off" position. Can someone explain in layman's terms what's happening when the switch is in each of these positions? What position should the switch be in during "normal" operation? Besides a dead battery situation, when would you switch to a different position and why? Note, its entirely possible I've left out a connection in the diagram, so don't assume that my boat is immediately about to explode. I've had no issues, so if the diagram is wrong, I've screwed up the diagram.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anyone?

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If I read this right here is my take, Battery 2 is your start battery and is active when switch is in position 2. Batteries 1,3,and 4 are in parallel which means the voltage is 12v but capacity/ah is additive and are active when switch is in position 1. Do you have a kicka$$ stereo? Because you should be able to run one for several hours with 1,3, and 4. When you put the switch in "all" it would essentially parallel all batteries. You would do this if the start battery was not able to start the engines. This also would not be good for the battery because the other three would be doing an extremely fast charge on it, but its an option.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Coheeba beat me too it as I was typing and almost exactly what he said down to the stereo comment. Position 1 will be the normal position for you. Someone designed this so position 2 is the emergency start position. I doubt combine would be usefull in this set up depending on how the single emergency start battery gets charged.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you both for the explanation. I was on the right track but I wasn't sure so I appreciate the details. As for the stereo, there are 6 JL 12s, 4 8" tower speakers, and then the factory speakers have been upgraded. These run from 3 JL marine amps in the port cabinet. The previous owner told me he had the stereo put in and his battery died on the water one day, so he took it back to the installer and said "I never want the battery to be dead again", so this setup is what he ended up with. When I purchased the boat, he couldn't explain the battery setup, just that "they told me to run it like this". I need more information than that :). Thanks again.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
6 12s? Damn lol

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll be honest, its much more than I ever would have done personally, but its a really nice system. I've been meaning to post some pics, but I keep adding to the list of things to do before I do that. So maybe one day. Ha.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would love to see pictures... and if there is any room left on the boat lol. I think that has been the biggest thing for my system, it has taken zero space.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottie pics and more info on the system....can't tease us with specs like that, my build is still in progress and I'm posting since Iive had to wait this long , but I get the idea of a big reveal too.

Are these in boxes and where...sealed...ported.

I have 2 12w3s and wouldn't mind adding one more some where

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Okay, she's still under the covers, and she's dirty, but here's a few pics. First off, it is 6 10s, not 12s, sorry for that. Six JL m10IB5 subs. These are marine subs, designed for large air volume without a sealed enclosure. On my 212x at least, I'm really not losing any space that the ballast bags aren't already taking up. If you don't have ballast bags, then my setup could create some storage issues. 3 JL marine amps, 2x m600/1 and 1 m800/8v2. Head unit is nothing special, Sony marine unit w Bluetooth. I added the Sirius/xm tuner to it. It all sounds great and was done pretty well. Pics coming soon.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ahhhh, ok....I was about to say 6 12s would be insane, I have seen 6 10s before, but still wanna see pics when you get a chance.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
20180327_111849.jpg 20180327_111904.jpg 20180327_111417.jpg 20180327_111233.jpg 20180327_111339.jpg 20180327_111935.jpg

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Subwoofers galore! I was under the impression they were each in a box.... that thing probably gets down!

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are those towers 770s or 880s?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm honestly not sure. I will have to check.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dayum! What a setup!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good lord! I know what 2 IB5's do, I couldn't imagine 6!!

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That system might just come close to drowning out my wife squawking at me.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

"IN A MEETING"

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I ended up having to install a new deep cycle marine battery for the starter and then I direct wired 3 optima blue tops to my amps in order to power my sound system.