• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Music Subscriptions???

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was gifted some cash this year. Have decided I want to do something that will enhance my life on a daily basis. I spend a LOT of time in the truck, and on the boat where good music would be appreciated. It's not something I would buy for myself, but something I think I would appreciate.

Looking at around $100 or so of budget. Plus or minus a little of course. Would like to get a yearly setup so that maybe I'll be gifted some cash again next year and can continue the trend here. I have a low data cell plan that I like so streaming away from WiFi is out. I like the functionality of Pandora in terms of curating a station and finding new music, but don't need that ability while mobile. Both cars and the boat have Bluetooth connections, and we both run Google Pixel 2XL phones.

I've tried Google music. It seems to work pretty well, and has most artists I've looked for. Only ones I haven't found on there are Garth Brooks and Metallica, and I'm ok without them. I'm in an Android household so the Google integration is nice. I know it does the downloading of playlists, and the thumbs up/down curating of stations. This is my current front runner for purchase despite the slightly higher cost (~$120/yr)

Guys at work keep telling me they use Spotify. Supposedly it has downloadable playlists, and the Pandora-esque ranking system to find new music and dial in a station/playlist. I've never used it, but it seems to be wildly popular.

I had a 6mo free trial of Amazon music this summer. It was OK. Plenty of artists, and downloadable playlists. Worked well with my existing prime account, and overall worked. The app experience wasn't great though. I found myself often frustrated trying to set a playlist while on the phone. I'm probably out on this service, but haven't completely tossed it aside yet.

I'm not ruling out Sirius XM. The wife and I both have receivers in the car, and I have a base station that was gifted to me awhile back that I never activated. Would have to add a receiver on the boat to cover all locations. I always "miss it" when the free trial in the truck runs out. I dislike that it's still a radio station though, and there are ads, talking between songs (I'm NOT a fan of the morning show/zoo type shows). And i end up with like 4 stations I listen to and the rest is a waste. It does require the LEAST amount of effort to listen to though, which is nice.

Apple music is a NO. We've never found anything in the apple ecosystem that we've liked. I'm doubting it plays nice with our Android based household either.

What is everyone else doing for music? How does it transition from home to truck to office to truck to boat?

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spotify Premium or Family, if you plan to share with your wife, is probably your best bet if you take streaming off the table. It lets you create custom playlists and it will start to suggest new music playlists and it has a similar artist listening function. Playlist can be downloaded for offline use. So far the amount you can download seems to only be limited by storage space on the device. I stream Spotify in all my cars and the boat via Bluetooth as well as the house via Alexa, my smart tv, or my audio receiver. When using one account most of my devices at home know where I left off on the last device and I can even control the music playing on the receiver from my phone. Between Spotify and pandora I’m usually pretty happy. I’ve been a long time pandora user, but these days I really only listen to my thumbprint radio on pandora as it’s extremely dialed in after 10+years of use. However, the majority of the time I’m using Spotify.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use Spotify free. Sure I can't skip or download offline but I put it on the artist or album I want to listen to and that's good enough for me if it skips songs by the artist. I use Pandora prior and I like Spotify better. The reason why I won't pay for premium is because all of these places get data breached and just one more leak point in the Internet to get your stuff.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I use Spotify family. Up to 6 people can use. It cost $15 a month which my 2 boys give me $5 each, so it's only 5 bucks. Kind of a win win for everyone. I believe as of recently it carries podcast. It's quick in finding any song plus you can download for when you're offline. Highly recommend.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I use Amazon music exclusively. Works great here and integrates with Alexa as I also have one in the house.

They also recently updated the app so it’s a bit nicer to use now also.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We use Sirius/XM in the car and stream the rest, in the truck, out on the boat, in the garage, in the gym, etc....you can get a deal now for an all inclusive package with unlimited streaming (all-access) for about $105 a year (out the door), the nice thing is that every year (my 3rd yr now) I call in and tell them I'm going to cancel unless I can keep the same package and boom it's done. Great selection of channels, and they have started a Pandora - powered music channel maker for your favs. You could activate one of the cars and then stream on your phones for the rest. Good luck!

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We use Sirius/XM in the car and stream the rest, in the truck, out on the boat, in the garage, in the gym, etc....you can get a deal now for an all inclusive package with unlimited streaming (all-access) for about $105 a year (out the door), the nice thing is that every year (my 3rd yr now) I call in and tell them I'm going to cancel unless I can keep the same package and boom it's done. Great selection of channels, and they have started a Pandora - powered music channel maker for your favs. You could activate one of the cars and then stream on your phones for the rest. Good luck!
Does all-inclusive mean “as many cars as you like”?

I have XM in my truck and my wife’s car (I threaten to cancel every 6-months to keep the $30 per car, per 6-months), but $105 for everything sounds better if there’s steaming included. Especially if I could get the boat hooked up also.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have had Spotify Premium for years now and haven't found another service to match it. Sure there are a few things here/there that aren't on it, but there is more than enough other options to make up for anything missing. I cringe every time I hear a commercial now, worth every penny in my mind. Downloaded playlists are slick to keep data to a min., that's how I play music on the boat (90% of the time).

I just checked and it looks like they do offer a way to pay annually as well.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We use Spotify and it's great for us. We have unlimited data plan because we use our phones for everything. We do download playlist for when we travel by plane or when we go camping in the boonies. They've had podcasts for awhile and I'll occasionally listen to one when I'm looking for something different. If I didn't have Spotify I'd probably listen to iHeartradio. It's free and there are stations that are commercial free, I can't stand a lot of commercials. It is a streaming only app when it's free. I've had SiriusXM in my truck off and on over the years and we currently have it for now in my wife's new Expedition. It's convenient to just have music playing in the background, but I've found that the sound quality isn't the best and it's just not worth the money if you like high quality audio. I just replaced the head unit in my truck for one with bluetooth and HD radio and no satellite radio. The guys at the stereo store said that most units, even high end models, don't have the Sat radio option and that it's on its way out. I guess we'll see on that! I know I had no desire to pay for that option.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had both spotify and pandora but prefer spotify. Most of the lakes we're at have data service for streaming, but I have my boat tunes downloaded. I connect via bluetooth. I travels with me wherever I go to whatever device or vehicle i wish. You also have access to podcasts which I often partake of while working it in the shop. It works out nicely.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming.

Looks like lots of people like Spotify. i see they have a free 3 month trial. Might do that and see where I land.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We use Spotify premium/family and I have tried several over the years and have changed as they get bought up. Even with Spotify, once in awhile I use Pandora or Amazon prime but that is mostly in our house to get some additional variety. I think I pay $15/month for Spotify. Give it a try for free and see if it works out

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Does all-inclusive mean “as many cars as you like”?

I have XM in my truck and my wife’s car (I threaten to cancel every 6-months to keep the $30 per car, per 6-months), but $105 for everything sounds better if there’s steaming included. Especially if I could get the boat hooked up also.
The $105 is for 1 car but unlimited streaming devices that how we use it the car has a factory xm radio, I stream at home, on the boat and in the truck. Also as far as negotiating with XM/Sirius if you dont get the $ you want hang up call again, I've seen it referred to as "Dial a Rep for Dollars" :winkingthumbsup", IMHO its a good deal especially if you have a decent data plan for your phones, I just use the bluetooth in the boat and truck, never know the difference!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We’re entrenched in the Apple ecosystem so we use Apple Music, family subscription. It works especially with unlimited data. Bluetooth link to the fusion 750 hu and good to go all day with the boat.

We did pandora but got tired of the commercials.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m interested in compare contrast of Spotify with Apple Music. Is it lossless audio? 6 devices is more than we need. I think we pay 14.99/ month for Apple Music for family plan.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another vote here for Spotify Premium. Did it about 10 months ago and never going back unless something better comes along. Which I do not see happening anytime soon. I have yet to not be able to find a song or artist and I sometimes I like to listen to some pretty obscure stuff.

edit: grammar.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m interested in compare contrast of Spotify with Apple Music. Is it lossless audio? 6 devices is more than we need. I think we pay 14.99/ month for Apple Music for family plan.
Spotify is not lossless.....there has been discussion about them offering lossless, but nothing yet.