• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 2016 FSH Sport mods

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last edited:

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
nice. a little more bling than the plastic ones on mine.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Those look cool! May be a future mod...

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here's the newer type Garmin transducer that's packaged with GCV10 (down and SideVu), also has NEMA capability. I chose the GVC1O because it uses this mini transducer. Otherwise, the other option is Garmin's giant transducer, at $600 each (if buying the giant transducer separate from a main/head unit)!

This mounting option puts the transducer forward of the hull step/turbulent water flow.

Pics coming soon, of the 741sx and the GVC10 (mounted inside the changing station). Super clean install and included 90 degree cables!

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like that! I didn't even think of mounting a transducer like that. I won't have DV with the P79.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My transducer location is perfect, if that's even possible for a transom mounted transducer. I get good sonar and depth readings at 30 mph+, and down to 2 feet of water and less. No clearance issues when mounted on trailer or boat-lift bunks. Very happy.

My next mod is gonna be a top mount (vs a flush mount) stainless steel flag holder, with about a 10 degree slant. Three screws, some 5200 (or 4000), and a 24" stainless steel flag staff and I'll be ready to fly the stars and stripes! I plan to mount the holder on the starboard gunnel, just forward of the where the 'transom' intersects the starboard gunnel (but out of the way of the live well hatch and the starboard side flip-up jump seat. Underway, a flapping flag might get noisy for a passenger in that seat though...

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylor-made--stainless-steel-flag-poles--P007_214_005_512

I'm hoping to get feedback on why I shouldn't do it lol (I prefer everything to be flush mounted - less to trip over).

Pics coming soon.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks @ClemsonTiger!

I had thought about a home-made style pvc tube and slipping it into one of the rear rod holders (angled at 45 degrees or so), but those two rod holders are already slated for a T-top shade extension in the near future (custom made from online). I may go with your suggestion since its non-permanent and low cost too. Plus, I doubt I'll want a shade extension installed while underway, which is the best time to fly the flag anyway - the flag and the shade can time-share an aft rod holder haha.

190 fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Here's the newer type Garmin transducer that's packaged with GCV10 (down and SideVu), also has NEMA capability. I chose the GVC1O because it uses this mini transducer. Otherwise, the other option is Garmin's giant transducer, at $600 each (if buying the giant transducer separate from a main/head unit)!

This mounting option puts the transducer forward of the hull step/turbulent water flow.

Pics coming soon, of the 741sx and the GVC10 (mounted inside the changing station). Super clean install and included 90 degree cables!

Attachments

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Swimmingly, I stole the 45 deg outlet idea from you. I installed 2. Thanks for the link....

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

So mounting this here gives you side imaging as well? Im looking at putting in a Garmin 73sv with the side vu...im losing sleep over where the transducer should go....

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have great Down and SideVu with this mounting location. The idea is to get the transducer just below the water level, but in as little turbulence as possible. There's a spacer made from starboard that places mine down just a little lower, out of the turbulence and just below the water surface. There's a reflection, but that's not an additional spacer; there's only one spacer, which is black or a dark color.

Also, my factory Garmin transducer mount was cut/modified to be shorter or smaller to fit in that spot against the fiberglass (the shiny bracket with the screws was modified).

The blue squigglies show turbulent water and the straighter lines show less turbulent. Apparently my depiction is accurate, because it works at low and higher speeds (never tried my sonar above about 30mph, but the bottom depth reads accurately at WOT 100% of the time).

One more thing - the mount location would be a bit better if it was more toward the center of the keel, but obviously not blocking the port side plug (as visible in my pics) - FSH's have two small plugs, both port and starboard. I'm talking just a couple inches, max, because that's all the room available as you move toward the keel/center of the boat. Reason - the trailer bunks and my boat lift bunks just happen to be adjusted so any further "forward" loading of the boat will cause the transducer to ride on the bunks, as visible in my pics (below/above). My boat lift's bunks happen to be about the same orientation too.

Transducer.GCV10.paint.1.jpg

Last edited:

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tired viewing this on my phone, it made my brain hurt a little.. Makes more sense on the desktop...I will forward this to my boat guy...You spend a bunch on a boat...then a bunch on a sonar...you kinda want it to work,(with minimal holes on the boat)!! I really appreciate your help...Did you ever get that flag mount? That is a fairly important mod that I will need to tackle as well....

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Glad to help. I had the service mgr at Barney's install mine (Yamaha dealership). When he showed me an FSH already in his shop and how he installed the transducer and mount, etc, I was sold on letting him do it. He has lots of experience with the FSH. If I needed to show an installer how to do it, I'd be wary of using that guy. Just my .02. The cutting of the Garmin mount isn't obvious until you get under the boat and look straight up to the area where the screws go into the bottom of the boat (its a narrow area aka not enough room to fit the entire length of the Garmin mount). The end result of the mounting (adding a starboard spacer and/or cutting the Garmin bracket) needs to place the transducer in the water so its "just right".

I haven't installed the flag pole and not crazy about drilling holes for a dedicated flag pole, that's so short anyway. I scrapped that plan for now.

I did get a low cost pole designed to slip into the stern nav light receptacle/port. Its a few feet tall and holds a 16"x24" just fine. It hasn't blown out while at WOT, but I constantly check to see if its still pushed down into the nav pole receptacle.

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm confident in the installer now after talking to they guys at the shop. They are one of the biggest Yamaha Dealers in the east. They are a JBP dealer too which is nice!

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
:thumbsup:

When I bought my FSH Sport, the service mgr happened to have someone else's FSH Sport in the shop for a full JBP FSH Edition kit and full FSH Seadek kit, plus nav and other accessories!

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wish I could fully outfit the boat right away... not gonna happen though... all in time.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

Hey there, nice job w the transducer!
Going to do this soon.
Did you have the transducer level with the waterline?
Or is it in an angle?
Thnx