• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 2021 255XD Review/Update

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hello to all!!

So I did this back when I bought my 2016 242X and figured I'd Review & Update and fill you all in on my boat and my current situation...

Review:
2021 255XD - I bought this with every conceivable option.

My Opinion - Power and new hull is amazing! My Boat would rocket to 58 MPH with 2 of us and with 5-6 adults it would still run 55 and get there fast! The hull seemed heavier which made for a very comfortable ride. The seating layout and design was similar in the front to the 242X but the rear was very squared off for the adjustable seats. I didn't like that we lost valuable storage space from the rear facing seats. I personally wasn't a fan of the adjustable seats. Also it didn't flow as well as the 242 as it was squared off. I did like the storage and table behind the Captains Chair. The "Tech" was cool and loved the LED lights. The stereo lacked a bit and every time I was getting it dialed it the speakers would come loose then the amp blew(more on this). Yamaha must've listened to us about the cleats as they moved the mid cleat in a much more usable location. Fuel consumption.....58MPH!!! ok enough about that!!LOL

Bimini - Again my opinion but wish it was bigger and sturdier like my 242X's Bimini. Still worked well but when it rained the water dumped right on the Screen!

Surfing - The 255XD was an improvement over the 242x. The wake gates worked well and the added ballast helped with shaping the wake. My Surf Point worked well boat I've read some issues on this. The Ballast Tanks are hard which I can see being a good thing but when not surfing it again took away from much needed storage space. Speaking of Storage, the head now has a Rod holder...loved that!

Drive - The Drive System was really cool, wish I had more time with this(more on that later). The power steering required minimal input and the paddles worked well. I was so used to the single E Series lever that I had to make myself use it. I say my only complaint was the equipment for the Drive took up valuable space that was much needed.

Update:
I no longer have my 255XD.......Yup she's gone. I had alot of issues, some small and some big. I do have to say my Dealer was excellent and went deep to fix and make us happy and my issue is NOT with them!

Issues - Some small issues were like loose bow rails, speakers vibrated from being loose, Wetsounds Amp was blown, wiring was a mess but these I could live with and could chaulk up to a New Model during challenging times. Larger more pressing things....at 3 hours my Port motor was starving for air and wouldn't pull a clean rev. This was an issue for me as I like all the power and use it! This was eventually fixed but was back and fourth to the dealer a couple times. Voltage and wiring issues, loose grounds etc.....back top dealer and again they fixed these issues. They also replaced the Interstate Batteries with Gel Batteries.
But the biggest issue was my Starboard motor was getting water in it. Oil was milky....back to dealer and they changed oil and check the a seal....looked ok. Got it back and Starboard motor would start hard....like 30-45 seconds to start. Back to dealer and there was moisture on the plugs which meant water still getting in somewhere?? Bottom line and after more drama, the engine needed to be worked on and I wouldn't have the boat for the rest of the season and at this point I really didn't want a boat with a motor issue. Nor did I want to spend another dollar for a 2022 that I didn't like as much as my boat. So my dealer took care of us and bought us out. They were very fair and will buy a boat off them again.......just want to wait until Yamaha works the bugs outta this model.
To salvage our season and probably next as there is not many boats available, we picked up a 2015 Yamaha Limited S so I'll be kicking around those pages looking for info.!!

Bottom line, my last 2 boats were flawless, this one not so much. I may have just got a bad one and I know this can happen. I will buy another Yamaha but not until I'm convinced the QC is better....

I hope you're all well and you're using the hell out of your boats!

Mike

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Kane- Sorry to hear about your ordeal. A freat dealer makes a big difference. I found the comparison of the rear seating layout and storage impacts very interesting. Once you get an after market speed control in your 2015 I bet you will find you like its performance better than e series built in. I recommend hydrophase ridesteady for that. You will also want to install ballast for wake sports. Tip on that is combine batteries when filling to spread the high constant draw across both.

Hope you report back on 242ls vs 242x once winter is over where you are at. At least you have the offseason to deck out the new to you boat.

Best

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Chris while it’s not an X and I’m spoiled by all the options, it’s a nice boat and there’s already a lot of upgrades coming…Seadek, stereo and subs, ribbon delete and of course a bunch of maintenance items that it can certainly use! As always I will report back!
Thanks for your advice!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This QC issues do worry me too. We have a order in on a '22 255Xd. But we love our 2018 242x so much.

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yeah 255 XD is not a good boat, it wasn't just yours, i Had issues with mine as well, basically I have to retightened every single screw myself, all rails got loose after 2 times on the water, recently the steering assembly and pump completely got off its base, i lost steering in the middle of the ocean, I didn't knew it was that and made it back to shore using the individual engines till i got it home and was able to look into it and found the assembly completely loose, port back seat broke and wont slide back and forth any longer, bow ballast will fill but it wont empty. Dealer walk away from us after Yamaha gave them a hard time, I spoke several times with Yamaha Corporate , they filled their mouth saying they will help me out and telling me they will call me back which they never did, now they want me to ship to boat to the mainland (is in Hawaii) just cause there is no certified dealer in HI to warranty any issues 13k each way for shipping to Cali, I told them i would take care of the labor paid a mechanic who is a Yamaha certified technician (he is just not a dealer) we troubleshooted and found the issue is the PCM(Ballast control module0 as well as bow relay, they reject to send me the replacement parts. They send me a safety warranty recall for the gas tank air vent and same thing to wont send me the part, so how much they really care about the customer safety?
If you start reading about complaints on Yamaha boats, wave runners and even outboards from 2020 to today it is insane the ammount of complaints, and the responses and position of Yamaha to blow consumers and don't stand behind their products is a really bad approach.
My advice do not buy any Yamaha thing that was built after 2020, is no longer the same and Yamaha doesn't care is not the same they hide behind their old reputation for marketing and sales but is quickly changing and it will if they keep with this attitude.
You lucky your dealer had your back, the one we bough from walk away from us, and to be honest even if I'm pissed, I don't blame them, they had their hands tie.