• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My $500 Aquatrax F12X project

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So just starting this. I just happened upon an Aquatrax F12X from a reputable dealer. The story goes that the ski came in on consignement. It needed a computer. They put in a brand new $1000 computer. Then on a test drive for a sale the manifold cracked. The ski runs with the computer in it, but there are codes and issues due to the cracked manifold. The owner decided to not keep the computer and just get rid of the ski. It is a salt water ski which contributed to the manifold failure. For $500 it was worth a shot. I already scored a manifold for $500 and a computer for $500. If i cant get it running then I will just part it out.

Attachments

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it kind of seems to be that you bought a trailer and got a jetski for free.
Lol. That’s what I was thinking then I saw your post. Everything else Honda makes usually last a long time so it might be a nice pick up.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have the same ski. It’s a blast! Inspect the turbo. You need to lube the waste gate rod and make sure it’s functions properly or it will go into limp mode.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same ski. It’s a blast! Inspect the turbo. You need to lube the waste gate rod and make sure it’s functions properly or it will go into limp mode.
Yeah, I've been reading a lot about these skis. The mechanic at the dealer says it ran perfect with the new computer until the manifold cracked. I'll go through the whole thing and clean it up and do all the maintenance just for piece of mind. He mentioned that the pump had been replaced with one from a fresh water ski.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Sounds good. The pump clatter sounds just like mine.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got it home and started cleaning it up. Probably shouldn't have started cleaning til after I fix it but I just couldn't stand letting it be really dirty.
20190329_183927.jpg

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And the old manifold is out. This was not fun getting this thing out. Just some scrapes and no busted knuckles. All the bolts came out pretty easy. I was expecting to have to fight with them.

20190330_141002.jpg20190330_141011.jpg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That should buff out no problem :D

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Started stripping the traction mats since I won't have the replacement manifold til tomorrow.20190331_141837.jpg

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same ski, been flawless since hour 1, only fresh water use.
At 50 the turbo kicks you in the ass. Let us know how it goes
Sweet. I'm hoping this thing will be reliable once I'm done with it. Hope to have it ready for a water test this weekend.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Be sure to put new plugs in it, its kinda like the old MR1s, It can be a little surgey with old plugs. You only really notice it when you hold it at 1 consistent speed for long times but Im really picky and most people dont even notice. Beyond that we really just slam on the thing, put gas in it and change the oil at the end of the season. I only put premium in mine. We call it the Aqua-Couch cause its so stable and comfortable. I put a piece of PVC pipe in the back grab handle and put my fishing pole in there for days when its just me. That ski has caught a ton of fish on the CT river

Attachments

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be sure to put new plugs in it, its kinda like the old MR1s, It can be a little surgey with old plugs. You only really notice it when you hold it at 1 consistent speed for long times but Im really picky and most people dont even notice. Beyond that we really just slam on the thing, put gas in it and change the oil at the end of the season. I only put premium in mine. We call it the Aqua-Couch cause its so stable and comfortable. I put a piece of PVC pipe in the back grab handle and put my fishing pole in there for days when its just me. That ski has caught a ton of fish on the CT river
The dealer said the plugs were new. I'll still check them. They did a full service on it last year when they were getting ready to sell it before the cracked manifold. I'll definitely do the oil.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Theres 2 places to suck oil out of it, through the main fill opening and on the back of the engine, thats how I get 90% of the oil out of it.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tested the wastegate actuator as this is a common failure point for these skis.

Last edited:

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welll... I Should have checked prices first... damnit... good thing the manifold had a 30 day return policy. its going back simply because I can get a new one for only $170 more.