• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Docking Light Switch Restarts the Radio

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I could sure use a little help with this one. Electrical gremlins drive me nuts.
I was working on the CMD7 radio adding a SCC1 Sirius receiver today. While putting the dash back together with the radio running I bumped the Docking Light Switch to the on position and the radio shut off. Within a few seconds the radio came back on. The only thing I can think of is a serious voltage drop on the main buss when the lights turn on. This happens every time I switch on the lights.

Has anyone else experienced this on the 242LS? Is this something to be concerned with?5FA9CFAC-EBFB-44AA-89A4-7C715AE81BF1.jpeg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are the radio and docking lights wired for key on? Are the docking lights led?

Edit - Looks like bears do love boating.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No school today so my 5 year old granddaughter was helping. Pooh was supervising.
All accessories operate off the house battery including lights and radio. They are not wired to the ignition which has it’s own battery. I doubt the lights are LED (2013) but I’m not sure.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is/are the battery/ies fully charged?

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is/are the battery/ies fully charged?
I’m not sure if the batteries are fully charged. They show about 13 volts on the meter. The batteries were new on 9/17. So, you’re thinking it’s a voltage drop that the radio can’t handle?

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's possible. If the battery voltage drops below the voltage that the radio needs to see to operate, even if it drops for only for a moment or two, the drop may cause the radio to shutdown. When you turn the docking lights on, the initial current draw required to light them, may cause enough of a voltage drop. There's two ways that are quick and easy to check if this is indeed what is happening. The first and easiest would be to simply connect a battery charger and see if the symptoms persist. The second way would be to put a voltmeter on the battery and watch for a drop when you turn the docking lights on. This would be where I would start, if the problem is not there then at least you have ruled it out and thus narrowed the possibilities.

Once again, I'm not saying this is definitely the problem, just that it could cause the system to act that way and it's the first thing I would check.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would start by checking all connections including fuses fully pressed in and the battery terminals.