• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

My new 2016 242 Limited S thread

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys! Some here know I sold my 2013 AR192 back in August. I have since been boatless and planning my return to boat ownership. What started out as a hunt for a left over AR240 evolved into the eventual purchase of a left over 16 limited S. Things are all but finalized now, as in its my boat but I have to go get it!

I have lots of plans for the new boat including: Tinted windows, perfect pass, stereo upgrades, sea dek, maybe fins (I had TVXL's on my 192, we will see how the articulating keel works), tower speakers, led lighting, wake wedge, and the list goes on!

I cant wait to get started! I am heading north to Red Wing, MN Saturday to pick it up. I will keep this thread updated as I go. I plan on spending a free day on Sunday in Minneapolis, so if you have recommendations on what to do up there I'm all ears. We like museums, tours, touristy landmarks, beer and boats!

Pictures to come!

Hey guys! Some here know I sold my 2013 AR192 back in August. I have since been boatless and planning my return to boat ownership. What started out as a hunt for a left over AR240 evolved into the eventual purchase of a left over 16 limited S. Things are all but finalized now, as in its my boat but I have to go get it!

I have lots of plans for the new boat including: Tinted windows, perfect pass, stereo upgrades, sea dek, maybe fins (I had TVXL's on my 192, we will see how the articulating keel works), tower speakers, led lighting, wake wedge, and the list goes on!

I cant wait to get started! I am heading north to Red Wing, MN Saturday to pick it up. I will keep this thread updated as I go. I plan on spending a free day on Sunday in Minneapolis, so if you have recommendations on what to do up there I'm all ears. We like museums, tours, touristy landmarks, beer and boats!

Pictures to come!

Congrats on your new purchase! I bought a 2016 242 Limited S the end of October and just passed the 10 hour mark. So far, really happy with it and take it out as much as I can. Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Last edited:
Thank you @SeanPC, I actually found some of the photos of your limited here on the forum and they helped make my decision on the gray. I had a really hard time finding good pics other than stock Yamaha photos. I may still be crazy for purchasing an item this big without seeing it in person but I know it's gonna be sharp. Monday can't get here soon enough!

We just got our 2016 242 limited in September. It's a great boat!! fullsizeoutput_466b.jpeg

@skrip345 Congrats! You are going to love it, AND there will be times you are going to miss your 192!
I think @shane hric has the same color, grey hull with white tower - it is beautiful.

--

@skrip345 Congrats! You are going to love it, AND there will be times you are going to miss your 192!
I think @shane hric has the same color, grey hull with white tower - it is beautiful.

--

I think you're right. The 192 was a great machine. Lots of good memories and over 100 hours in three seasons. There were times where I would take it out alone, or maybe with one other guy, and man that thing was fun! We time trial our superjets through a slalom course in front of our lake house occasionally, and the 192 had a very competitive time. It ran on rails when lightly loaded.

A few factors came in to play with my decision. One being the hope to eventually make it to Bimini. A larger one still was that there are always so many people at the house. It got to the point that people were being left behind because there was no more room on the 192, and it didn't respond well to being full or overloaded. All in all I was very happy with my 192, and I wouldn't hesitate to own another if my situation changed. That said I'm pumped to get the new one and start tinkering. Thanks!

Congrats!!! Can't wait to see the new ride and the evolution of mods!

A few factors came in to play with my decision. One being the hope to eventually make it to Bimini. A larger one still was that there are always so many people at the house. It got to the point that people were being left behind because there was no more room on the 192, and it didn't respond well to being full or overloaded.
Oh yeah, the new 240s eat chop, it is pretty amazing actually.
And space-wise - these boats rock. I have had 12 adults on my boat on several occasions this past season, and couldn't believe how comfortable it felt. Especially the bow - it is the size of a cockpit in a smaller boat, literally.

Now, going all by myself -- I used to take my 190 into the most remote and beautiful corners of the Kaskaskia river, would never dare to do this with the 240. It is just too heavy if I got stuck.

That idea with running a slalom course is great, I'm very curious how you will find the difference. It's not gonna be pretty with those new hulls tracking pretty strait. I have a feeling you will be looking at AK Cobras before anything else.

Are you planning on doing any performance upgrades, ECU reflash etc.?

--

I am looking at a left over 2016 242 Limited S also. Have a 2013 212X to sell or trade in. I like both the white and gray colors this boat comes in and either will be great. What kind of deal were you able to get? Any YES warranty included? There seems to be a few available here in the North West. Thanks and Congratulations to you !

To reiterate what @swatski said bout eating chop; so far I'm really impressed on they way she handles other boat waves and chop. For the first 10 hours running around the lake there wasn't a single wave we took that was uncomfortable or jarring and I didn't slow down for any of them. Blown away by the lateral g-forces she capable of when adding throttle in a turn.

With that said, I recently took my 242 out on the lake with my in-laws (6 of us total) on a very windy day. To be honest, I under estimated the wind and waves on the water. Wind was steady at ~25 with gust to ~40+ waves were 2 - 3 feet (judging from an untrained eye) and some infrequent but larger waves. I was really nervous as I got out into the middle going with the wind. We would frequently drop into a wave and the two people in the front would look back like I was trying to kill them. Long story short, we made it through an open section of the lake and into a protected area where I could breath again. On the way back to the ramp, we were against the wind and plowed about 10 - 15 mph with everyone in the back all the way and she handled it like a champ. So glad I went with 24 footer!

@swatski the slalom course was kinda just for fun. I just remember it having a respectable time despite being MUCH larger than our skis. It wasn't a regular thing, and I doubt the 242 will be put through the course, other than maybe just for curiosity sake. I had two different LS2000's before the 192, and have always liked to drive my jet boats aggressively. Spin moves, sub moves, etc. As the boats have gotten newer, more expensive, and larger, my driving has adjusted accordingly. Now I just enjoy the cruise, with an occasional aggressive maneuver to keep things fun, depending who is on board and if they're hanging on well :D. I almost bought an exciter this fall as a project, and will likely own a 270 exciter someday for the "Fun boat" and the 242 will be the cruiser.

At this time I will probably leave the 242 alone performance wise. I did ribbon delete on my 192, and planned to do an IC upgrade if I kept it. Leading into @gobecauseyoucan 's question, I have a 5 year ESP that was thrown in as part of the boat show specials, so I will likely leave it be during warranty coverage. I have followed the ecu flash and lucky 13 cone replacement threads closely, but will probably throw my mod money at sounds system, and interior upgrades like the sea dek, lights, and Bimini crossing necessities for now.

Also @gobecauseyoucan your deal can and probably will be a lot different than mine because you're trading. I had, what I consider the best negotiation position as an outright purchaser, that was willing to travel for my deal. When you trade, the dealer's profit isn't made that day, its made whenever they sell your trade in. That could take a while, so they are always more aggressive and willing to negotiate if the deal is "Cleaner". Also, my other half likes to adventure to new places, new cities, etc, so I looked at any traveling as a bonus to us (within a reasonable distance). That said, there are some dealers advertising VERY low prices on the left over stuff. Typically they tack on around 2500 worth of setup and fees. Excluding taxes, I got mine out the door for less than 56k. That's what pushed me to a 242 over a 240. I feel like I gave new 2017 AR240 money for a 16 242. Good luck on your purchase process!

@swatski the slalom course was kinda just for fun. I just remember it having a respectable time despite being MUCH larger than our skis. It wasn't a regular thing, and I doubt the 242 will be put through the course, other than maybe just for curiosity sake. I had two different LS2000's before the 192, and have always liked to drive my jet boats aggressively. Spin moves, sub moves, etc. As the boats have gotten newer, more expensive, and larger, my driving has adjusted accordingly. Now I just enjoy the cruise, with an occasional aggressive maneuver to keep things fun, depending who is on board and if they're hanging on well :D. I almost bought an exciter this fall as a project, and will likely own a 270 exciter someday for the "Fun boat" and the 242 will be the cruiser.

At this time I will probably leave the 242 alone performance wise. I did ribbon delete on my 192, and planned to do an IC upgrade if I kept it. Leading into @gobecauseyoucan 's question, I have a 5 year ESP that was thrown in as part of the boat show specials, so I will likely leave it be during warranty coverage. I have followed the ecu flash and lucky 13 cone replacement threads closely, but will probably throw my mod money at sounds system, and interior upgrades like the sea dek, lights, and Bimini crossing necessities for now.

Also @gobecauseyoucan your deal can and probably will be a lot different than mine because you're trading. I had, what I consider the best negotiation position as an outright purchaser, that was willing to travel for my deal. When you trade, the dealer's profit isn't made that day, its made whenever they sell your trade in. That could take a while, so they are always more aggressive and willing to negotiate if the deal is "Cleaner". Also, my other half likes to adventure to new places, new cities, etc, so I looked at any traveling as a bonus to us (within a reasonable distance). That said, there are some dealers advertising VERY low prices on the left over stuff. Typically they tack on around 2500 worth of setup and fees. Excluding taxes, I got mine out the door for less than 56k. That's what pushed me to a 242 over a 240. I feel like I gave new 2017 AR240 money for a 16 242. Good luck on your purchase process!

I found the exact same with my leftover 2016. Paid less than 17 AR240 price for a 16 Limited S. Was a no-brainer for me...

@
To reiterate what @swatski said bout eating chop; so far I'm really impressed on they way she handles other boat waves and chop. For the first 10 hours running around the lake there wasn't a single wave we took that was uncomfortable or jarring and I didn't slow down for any of them. Blown away by the lateral g-forces she capable of when adding throttle in a turn.

With that said, I recently took my 242 out on the lake with my in-laws (6 of us total) on a very windy day. To be honest, I under estimated the wind and waves on the water. Wind was steady at ~25 with gust to ~40+ waves were 2 - 3 feet (judging from an untrained eye) and some infrequent but larger waves. I was really nervous as I got out into the middle going with the wind. We would frequently drop into a wave and the two people in the front would look back like I was trying to kill them. Long story short, we made it through an open section of the lake and into a protected area where I could breath again. On the way back to the ramp, we were against the wind and plowed about 10 - 15 mph with everyone in the back all the way and she handled it like a champ. So glad I went with 24 footer!
@SeanPC , it sounds like you're ready to go to Bimini now.

@MrMoose You have no idea how bad I want to go to Bimini but 3 weddings and an extended family trip to Ouachita this year will eat all my wife's vacation. The act of going to Bimini without her would end up in paperwork being served... :). With that said, a trip to Arkansas backed up to a trip to Bimini sounds like a great summer! Wonder if she can take unpaid leave...

How often to you go to Conroe? I have friends in Houston and plan on heading over there with the boat this spring some time.

I've got some good news for you @SeanPC ... I just double-checked the Preparing for Bimini file and bringing your wife is not required.
@Glen was wife-less in 2016 and I was wife-less in 2015, and we're both still married.

I've got some good news for you @SeanPC ... I just double-checked the Preparing for Bimini file and bringing your wife is not required.
@Glen was wife-less in 2016 and I was wife-less in 2015, and we're both still married.

I can hear him now "Ah honey it's just a bunch of guys fishing all week near a remote island with a bunch of bugs. You would probably hate it."

I can hear him now "Ah honey it's just a bunch of guys fishing all week near a remote island with a bunch of bugs. You would probably hate it."
I think that @Glen's approach is better..."Gotta go do the trip without you to make sure that it's safe for you and the kids." or something along those lines.

To be clear, it was how I rationalized going anyway, once it became obvious that the rest of the families Sched did not work.

Back