• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

my new anchor buddy

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been using them for years and now have two, one for use as designed (I.e., to pull the boat away from the shore) and one as a standard anchor line. I think they are great.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have one and use it for anchoring in light chop. Never used it as designed. The only caution is never use it completely by itself with a heavy anchor or "catchy" bottom. The stress of trying to free an anchor or pulling up heavy weight on the bungee is a bit concerning.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good point Jaws, I had the loop on one fail (unravel) once. As a result I tie at least two knots near each loop on mine. It sucks to lose anchors moreso when they are pricey like box anchors.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love our anchor buddies. Keeps the ladies from having to get in the water too deep while boarding.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've used the standard (25' stretches to 50') for years. I use it as designed and suggested with a 25 lb. Richter anchor. They work great. I have 150' nylon line too but it has never been in use because the Anchor Buddy is all I need.

The first one broke on the inside surgical tubing so I bought a new one. For $29 I wouldn't have an issue with buying one every year.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These are awesome. I have used them for years. Really aid in keeping the anchor in place. Just be sure to clip the end onto the tang in your anchor locker. The "rode" gets short fast as you drop anchor..

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wait, so what does it do for you? It gives a little less shock to your boat or something? What about tying up with a bunch of other boats around? We usually end up tied up with like 4-10 boats at a time. Would it work for that kinda thing?

jaybro72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wait, so what does it do for you? It gives a little less shock to your boat or something? What about tying up with a bunch of other boats around? We usually end up tied up with like 4-10 boats at a time. Would it work for that kinda thing?
they make little ones to tie boats together or to docks

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The idea and practical use of the Anchor Buddy is this.

Drop your anchor off the bow as you're backing up towards the shore. Position the anchor so that when the Anchor Buddy stretches you can reach the shore, or as close to the shore as you wish to be. Then set a shore anchor for the stern of the boat. You can then enter or exit the boat easily. When you are ready, you let out slack on the shore anchor line as you stand on the shore watching the Anchor Buddy pulling your boat away from the shore. Now your boat is well away from the shore so it isn't getting damaged by waves or wakes banging the stern of the boat on the bottom of the shallow area.

When you want to board the boat simply pull it to shore with the stern anchor line. The Anchor Buddy bow line will stretch so you can pull the boat to shore.

It's easier than it sounds.

The Anchor Buddy doesn't work in all conditions. The boat can sway more with the elastic bow line. If you're in a situation where you have boats anchored close by they won't move the same way your boat does and you can bump other boats. Also there's no way I'd leave my boat (again) overnight on the anchor buddy. We had a strong wind come up and push the bow sideways enough to break the anchor free. That wouldn't have happened with a standard line where I could have given it much more scope. The 50' line simply doesn't allow enough scope.

Another advantage of the Anchor Buddy though is in calm or mild conditions the boat won't e tugging on the anchor constantly because the Anchor Buddy will take most of that action in the surgical tube and it won't be transferred to the anchor so the anchor is more likely to stay set.

For anchoring away from the shore, say in a cove, I always use the Anchor Buddy. Toss the Richter Anchor and forget it.

Last edited: