• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My new boat is in! Moomba Max

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
WOW! A single 750 fatsac really wakes up a Max compared to stock!! Can't wait to get some real extra ballast for this thing with the WM kit. This was just wife, 9 year old daughter and I on the boat. Starboard side had a really nice curl with a barrel out back. Port side had a longer pocket and both were at 70 surf plate and 0 wake plate.

Wife was first time driving and nervous as hell lol so I didn't get to play with the wave much and get a lot of footage but it's definitely much better than stock and showing promise!

max port side 750 fatsac1.jpgmax port side 750 fatsac2.jpgmax starboard side 750 fatsac1.jpgmax starboard side 750 fatsac2.jpgmax starboard side 750 fatsac3.jpg

Last edited:

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
God damn that goofy wave is nice. Can't wait to see it with another 1000lbs

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm so happy I surf goofy footed. It's always a nicer wave.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
God damn that goofy wave is nice. Can't wait to see it with another 1000lbs
Yea that goofy side is bananas and about waist high! Always going to shape a little nicer on that side due to the prop rotation. I will need to learn to surf backside to play on it and I'm sure bust my ass a bunch :D. I think I need to list the boat a little more to shape the regular side to look similar to the goofy side but who knows lol. 5% surf plate changes makes a pretty big impact so I think this is going to take me at least the summer if not more to learn this stuff and get to know what the boat will do without making a setting, shaping the wave is part of the fun though!

I really wanted to mess around with the wave longer today but wife was pissed I threw her behind the wheel with minimal coaching what to do. It's my fault but damn she just had to drive straight. She see's a boat 1,000 yards away and she starts yelling at me what to do lol. I look forward and say just drive straight woman but that didn't go over so well so we had to cut the play time short. Mainly wanted to see what a single 750 bag would do and it didn't disappoint and only reaffirms the WM kit is going to transform this thing big time!

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Upon pulling back in the dock today, I thought it might be a good idea to have my wife film while I try and show how to maneuver these boats slow speed and to dock them. Most vdrives naturally pull the stern to the right in reverse due to the prop rotation. My salesman showed me how to do this on my maiden voyage and now that I've had the boat out a few times I'm getting the hang of it without much fear. Anyways I figured anyone going from jet to vdrive may find this helpful or anyone in general and this is my slow way to keep myself and the boat safe from hitting the dock hard or abruptly. Once you learn how to use the prop rotation you can do a lot. I haven't tried to challenge myself to port side docking but I will just so I have the technique if there is a situation where starboard docking isn't possible. Smooth input is key and not freaking out or panicking.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's definitely taken some getting used to for me and my wife. I am fortunate that she grew up on boats so she learns pretty quickly and loves to drive. I would kill for some reverse directional control other than to the right. I am considering a transoms mounted thruster. The prop kick is great when parallel parking, but trying to pull straight on the lift is kind of a bitch. If you dont plan the approach perfectly so that the reverse burst to slow the boat it gets messy really quickly. Throw some odd wind gusts in the mix and it really makes me miss the jet.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
It's definitely taken some getting used to for me and my wife. I am fortunate that she grew up on boats so she learns pretty quickly and loves to drive. I would kill for some reverse directional control other than to the right. I am considering a transoms mounted thruster. The prop kick is great when parallel parking, but trying to pull straight on the lift is kind of a bitch. If you dont plan the approach perfectly so that the reverse burst to slow the boat it gets messy really quickly. Throw some odd wind gusts in the mix and it really makes me miss the jet.
For the ones we've seen on the other forums they start at $4k and go up to $8k. There's a dude who did a dyi job for about 300 bucks tho. The coolest thing I've seen is the dock buddy. Just an extendable pole with a hook to help bring you safely into the docks.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When you're pulling into your slip try to angle the front of the bow a bit more than you would think you should do and then at the last few feet or so throw it into reverse to straighten it back out but only use reverse for a second, like just bump it into reverse and back into neutral. Small bursts of forward and back into neutral helps keep it controlled. You can see even at the end of the video I held it in reverse for just a bit more than I should have causing the rear to swing towards the dock just a hair hotter than I wanted. Normally I would have just bumped it in/out a little instead of keep it there for a second. As you know, it doesn't take long for the strong prop rotation to kick in lol. Keep at it brother and you'll be a pro I'm sure! I learn something new every time i take the boat out and have a different scenario to deal with. Yea it sucks having a crosswind. Even if I don't have my bimini deployed I have a lot of freeboard that just likes to catch the wind if you let it so have to plan ahead of the wind and always have a plan b abort lol. All else fails my emergency paddle doubles as a dock grabber and I let the first mate pull the boat in or get lucky and have some strange at the dock willing to help (been there and done that and super thankful for those people out there).

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For the ones we've seen on the other forums they start at $4k and go up to $8k. There's a dude who did a dyi job for about 300 bucks tho. The coolest thing I've seen is the dock buddy. Just an extendable pole with a hook to help bring you safely into the docks.
I've got one of the poles and it's been pretty handy. I did some brief online shopping for thrusters and found this one:

I cant seem to find much info on sizing though. I'm not sure if it would be enough to make it worth while or if I would need something bigger.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check this out. This is what you guys need to add to your boats.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The main thing I like about thrusters is the ability to hold the boat next to a dock even in wind or current. Not a feature worth thousands of dollars and integration into your hull IMO but still cool tech.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The main thing I like about thrusters is the ability to hold the boat next to a dock even in wind or current. Not a feature worth thousands of dollars and integration into your hull IMO but still cool tech.
No doubt. No way i would spend that much coin on it.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No doubt. No way i would spend that much coin on it.
Agreed. If I could get one for a few hundred I'm all for it, but I have a really hard time spending a few grand on a boat that I have a loan on.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wife and daughter are out of town at the beach. Friends are camping and riding dirt bikes at an ORV park. So screw it I went out solo to Lake Mitchell. Weather was beautiful and the water felt great.

1BD76A93-CA8E-4A28-B3AA-BDCBC88B6F95.jpeg

F868E220-93DC-4BCA-AAB1-E35EBB9E9C0A.jpeg

1CBC6453-DC4C-4762-9BDE-A494FE0A181B.jpeg

497AF782-58B3-4A0A-9CEC-88695B90328B.jpeg

Decided to fill ballast and play around with shaping the wave for different types. Just me in the boat so wave isn’t going to be huge but it was fun trying all sorts of different smartplate and surf plate settings and at different speeds. Starting to get an idea what the settings will do to the wave in terms of shape and steepness. Pretty cool watching it happen in real time! You can see just how different each of these wave pics look with different shapes and lengths. Crazy!

AE60E595-58CF-46B1-886E-6246C8948974.jpeg

6E09C5F7-5359-4C4E-9223-FEC3EB7A9C1E.jpeg

4A053C86-1D0E-43F2-AD3D-68A77A9C86EF.jpeg

80471BD9-8232-4111-8871-E0A4B7B00827.jpeg

837A851F-9180-467D-A137-A52C47CEA50E.jpeg

I kept passing this yellow and silver flake Moomba Helix. I remember seeing them out a few times last year on the same lake.

8E8C06BB-F8D2-4019-B63A-B0E39C9E35EB.jpeg

Last edited:

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got a little bit of time to get out on lay lake with a buddy. It was last minute so of course I forgot my extra ballast bag...ugh! Tried to explain to him how to operate the surf system and speed and he did fairly good. My first time to get behind the boat! Didn’t go ropeless or get a ton of push with just him on the boat but still had fun slashing it up on the Nubstep. A few times I’d try to remember to lean forward and stopped leaning so far back and I could feel the rope get light and board speed up so I have some technique to learn for sure. This board carved so quick compared to my LF Fish or HL Broadcast! Really wished I grabbed the damn 750 sac as it could replace some of the bodies that were missing from today’s ride. Oh well we got out on the water and dodged most of the storms. :)

View attachment 98369View attachment 98370View attachment 98371View attachment 98372View attachment 98373View attachment 98374View attachment 98375View attachment 98376View attachment 98377View attachment 98378
Just based on your pics it looks like you need to get more weight forward on the board and close your stance a bit to the boat. Looking at your wave it looks like you should totAlly be able to ride a nubstep ropeless on it. Oh yeah - if you haven’t already, remove the two smaller fins from the board and just ride with the big ones in their forward spot. You think it slashes now, wait til you do that!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
BTW @Arcadyus if your AutoWake or surf tabs glitch out and won't retract, turn off the batteries via the switch, wait 15 secs or so and then turn them back on and everything should reset and retract the tabs. I had mine glitch out yesterday on the water while I was messing with AutoWake roll values. Called my salesman and he explained sometimes these surf systems need a "reboot" so doing the battery switch cycle fixed it. I posted about it on the FB group and seems it's common for others to experience it every once and a while. I think I caused the glitch by editing the roll or doing something in the menu while underway. I think AutoWake likes setting changes when static or sitting still so that it can calibrate using the inclinometer which it then makes the changes to the surf tabs or ballast levels. At one point it deployed BOTH of my surf tabs at different values because I think when had the roll setting so extreme and no people to move around the boat to satisfy AutoWake lol. Just wanted to pass it along in case you have a plate that won't retract.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash when are we going to see some videos of you thrashing behind the boat??