• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My new boat is in! Moomba Max

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally going to have decent weather on a weekend! Taking her out Saturday on beautiful Lake Martin to try and knock out some more break-in hours. :winkingthumbsup"

3AA71291-6007-4C1E-A409-B710D2961AB3.jpeg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally going to have decent weather on a weekend! Taking her out Saturday on beautiful Lake Martin to try and knock out some more break-in hours. :winkingthumbsup"

View attachment 94396
I think I have been drooling too much over your posts. I ended up on the moomba website build feature. It is getting hard to resist. Which engine did you go with again? Which prop? Do you happen to know what top speed is with the big engine and a prop that leans a bit more towards speed? What is best cruise? I may be dreaming a bit as I would likely be divorced if I brought home a new boat right now but perhaps I can start working on her now and have a new boat a couple years down the road.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think I have been drooling too much over your posts. I ended up on the moomba website build feature. It is getting hard to resist. Which engine did you go with again? Which prop? Do you happen to know what top speed is with the big engine and a prop that leans a bit more towards speed? What is best cruise? I may be dreaming a bit as I would likely be divorced if I brought home a new boat right now but perhaps I can start working on her now and have a new boat a couple years down the road.
ha, I opened the website as well. Then I almost slapped myself and thought: Dude! you have a 2 month old boat! haha.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Mainah I have the Moomba Helix (20.6') with standard 6.2 Raptor 400 (350hp/400ftlbs) and standard prop. I hit about 45 mph, and it gets there extremely quickly (feels significantly quicker/torque-ier than my old 212X). I'm sure you could prop to go a lot faster, the hull may be the biggest issue... the Helix and Max are both relatively flat (mine almost looks like a trimaran), and mine needs full center trim tab to not porpoise like crazy over 40. I believe the other model hulls are a little less all-in for the surf wave and slightly more all around (and speed) friendly.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m still doing my break-in so I can’t comment on best cruise or top speed. I have the Raptor 400 with the surf prop (15 x 13 OJ 945). My salesman told me with that prop top speed will be around the 40 mph range but I doubt I’ll drive those speeds and will cruise in the 25-30 mph range. The speed on these boats for some reason seems faster than it is and maybe some of that is sound affecting my brain or maybe I’m just not as big into speed anymore lol....I don’t know. You could prop the boat for more speed but that sort of defeats the purpose of these boats especially if you wanted to run more ballast over what comes stock. I had no desires or even thought about top speed when we were testing the boat during maiden voyage.

The Helix and Max look similar but their hulls running surfaces and chines are different. The bow deadrise angle on the Max is a good bit greater angle than the Helix. I haven’t studied both hulls real close beyond that but you can tell they are shaped different on the running surfaces. Not sure how much different they are at midship or the transom.

Helix
image.jpeg

Max
image.jpeg

I had horrible maiden voyage conditions out in 2-3 ft white capping lake effect with short wave intervals in 20 mph headwinds and it took it no problem once I filled the front ballast to put the “knife” surface of the bow into the water to cut more. I filled the front ballast full and I was running 100% center wake plate but didn’t take it more than 18 mph or so due to break-in. The Yamaha would have been slapping real hard by comparison and would have likely been taking water over the bow in those same conditions so I came away pretty impressed with the Max’s rough water handling. With just two of us in the bow we really had to add the bow ballast though to keep the bow down enough to slice and bust through the chop but with a fuller boat of people I probably could have ran with just the wake plate at 100% or minimal ballast. The nice thing about having 6 ballast pumps is if you do decide you want to add ballast it takes like no time lol.

I’m at 2 hours now. After 3 hours I can take the RPM’s up to 4000. So far I’ve had to try and keep it below 3000 RPM. Even then you can tell there is tons of torque!

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got one more vehicle and a new dirtbike to pay off. Then in 2021 I'm getting a Max as well. Stoked for you dude.
They’ll probably have the nice 7” screen in them by then :thumbsup:. Thanks man! I can’t wait to spend the first full day on it tomorrow!!

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pics of it didn’t happen.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got one more vehicle and a new dirtbike to pay off. Then in 2021 I'm getting a Max as well. Stoked for you dude.
Damnit, this fad is going to cause prices to keep going up up up. Maybe an economy crash would be good for us boaters in recession proof jobs.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Swung by my parents house to start filling it up with crap. My dealer dropped off my registration numbers yesterday so I went ahead and got those put on too. I went with chrome letters to match the rest of the chrome trim on the side of the boat. These were free from the dealer so I’ll use them until they show some wear and then I’ll probably splurge for the nice epoxy domed chrome letters with white outline but they are pricey and will have to wait until these freebies look thrashed.

1FE7F70C-F5E3-4F3F-9CAA-F7D96E847B02.jpeg

81F74139-7566-4461-B8D1-FDB748FD31A2.jpeg

I was able to put 6 ski life jackets plus a 4 pack of the the emergency life jackets under the port bow cushion along with a large Plano box that holds my tsunami ballast pump, surf rope and crap and still had tons of space to use! Under the port rear seat I have a massive Plano container housing my Box anchor, spare dock lines, and various tons of crap, emergency paddle/dock grabber and can even stuff a few surf boards in there! Under my starboard rear cushion are 4 large fenders, 3 large Gail Force floats, bow filler cushion with plenty of room for other junk. This thing has crazy storage! That’s a 5’3” Hyperlight Broadcast for size reference.

D78DB7B2-B6C6-44A6-9AFE-F88C61876058.jpeg

7E1EFB89-AE3F-4FDC-AE1F-9195A720EC11.jpeg

Last edited:

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's funny - I was sort of worried about speed when I started investigating wakeboats and figured I'd still want to cruise 30+ like we always seemed to do in our Yamaha. Seeing people post on wake forums about top speeds in the mid/high 30s had me nervous. However, since getting our MB I find that we tend to cruise right around 25 and I haven't missed cruising faster at all. Not a Moomba, but in our MB with the Raptor 400, 1.76:1 transmission, and the original 15X14.25 prop top speed was about 36. With a 15X15.75 prop, top speed is right at 40. It hits top RPM (5400) well before it runs out of throttle so I suppose I could prop it for another 5+ mph on top, but why? That would give away ballast pulling ability, which is not acceptable to me. We surf with about 4,500 - 5,000 pounds of ballast onboard, wakeboard with up to 3,000 (not me - that is a SCARY wake!), or drain and cruise 25 at 3500 rpm and all is right with the world.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm sunburned as hell but had a good time taking @blacksapphirez and his wife out on the new boat today! I think they came away very impressed with the build of the boat.

I didn't log as many hours as I had hoped but I'm now at 6 hours.

Played around with the surf wave for a minute or two. Can't wait to get back there on that wave. It's crazy how different the wave will look with just a 5% change in the surf tab!!!

The starboard side wave I had at 70% surf tab with I think 10% wake plate.

starboard wave1.jpg

starboard wave2.jpg

Port side wave I think i had this at 65% surf tab and same wake plate setting. I want to say speed was 11.4 mph.

port wave1.jpg

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is on the dash (seadeck looking) between phone cutout and screen?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is on the dash (seadeck looking) between phone cutout and screen?
It's GatorStep (like SeaDek stuff) just like the flooring is. They added a lot of little pad details in the interior for 2019. I wished I had splurged and got the bow are and gunnels done with the boat but I'll do it eventually. Almost busted my ass trying to get off the bow onto the trailer when pulling the boat out :D

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
3 hours later and the boat is all cleaned up inside and out. It needed a bath so bad after having the delivery on a stormy day. Now she’s all happy and ready to take my wife and daughter out on the next ride since they haven’t been in it yet. Hell my wife hasn’t even seen the boat in person yet lol.

69D1E960-BECF-4AC7-8419-6F729E0A339C.jpegA83C4C5C-18A1-49FA-9B3D-42E94285D4A6.jpeg175063F2-8136-4B6A-AEB6-2729E1CF3680.jpeg345582A8-419E-4F6F-803E-C6CB653A0A69.jpeg

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash Side note, what pressure washer is that and are you happy with it? I'm looking for a decent electric unit.