• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Pool Build

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Per the request of a few members, and because everyone likes projects, I've started a pool build thread.

The story begins when my neighbor gave us access to their pool while he and his family were away on vacation this past summer. I should have seen it coming. My wife and kids used the pool every single day the neighbors were gone and were practically in mourning when the neighbors returned. Then the barrage began. Every morning before I left for work “Dad can we get a pool”” and every day I came home from work “Dad can we get a pool?” At first I thought I at least still had sanctuary in my bedroom, but that also quickly eroded with my wife whispering “Honey, I think we need to get a pool.” I fought it as best as I could, heck I’m the CFO at my company, I know a bad investment!! Reason, logic, and common sense were useless weapons. My wife even resorted to subliminal messaging as it was amazing how often an episode Pool Kings was on the TV. Totally surrounded, no surprise, I caved…..

So, we met with a few pool builders. It’s amazing how much a price can swing, but in the end found one that met our needs and had a “tolerable” price.

rsz_toton_001.jpg

rsz_toton_003.jpg

We signed the contract in August and have been dealing with delay after delay (none were the pool builder’s fault). However, the dig day finally came and we were so excited.....

IMG_7933.JPG

........until we uncovered a power line through the middle of where the pool is supposed to be.

20171018_094621.jpg

So, a month delay and $1,600 later, the power line was moved a whopping 5’ over. Now we are back at again and have just finished the dig. Next up is soil injections follower by plumbing and rebar.

2017-11-14 14.55.46.png

Hope everyone enjoys the thread.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Soil injections? What are they?
Dirt in north Texas is prone to a lot of movement. Soil injections help stabilize the dirt around the pool with the hope of keeping it from shifting too much. I'm not as bad as some folks that need piers.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm more impressed by the size of the excavator in your little yard. How in the hell did they get that thing in there? Is that an alley back there?
Good luck with the project. Hopefully no more surprises.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tell me about it...this thing took up the entire yard.

2017-11-14 07.19.39.jpg

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hopefully your ground is more stable than the sandy soil and high water table we deal with here in Florida. If I ever drain my pool, I need to hook up another pump to pump out ground water to prevent it from pushing my pool up out of the ground.

I can feel you with the delays. When they dug my pool, they found a ~2 ft diameter, ~30 ft long tree trunk buried in my back yard where the pool was supposed to go.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Shuck Water when your pool builder is finished with the pool and ready to push the dirt back in around the outside perimeter, make sure that he compacts in lifts and not just 1 time after filling in the hole. If they do not do this, you will have problems with the pavers/travertine sinking from the edge of the pool coping to about 3' into the deck all the way around the pool. Unfortunately I see this all the time being a manager for a construction company that specializes in brick paver and concrete decks.
20170929_110844.jpg
20171101_121618.jpg
When we install our pavers we put in a 4" layer of limestone baserock, 2" of screening and the 2 3/4" brick paver. Realistically the pool builder should have the compacted dirt 9" below the top of the coping but they never do. Most will just lay 2" of screening and the paver so over time when the joint sand washes out, water penetrates down into the dirt causing the paver to sink. Same goes for concrete decks if the dirt is not compacted in layers, it just takes a longer period of time for the concrete to sink. If you are going with pavers, seal them with a water based sealer. This will stabilize the joint sand so it doesn't wash away also gives the paver a non slick wet look that really bring out the colors. If you have any questions, let me know.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great I'm fighting the same battle right now I have not caved yet but I may have to. I was shocked at pricing for small pool was close to 50k

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Shuck Water when your pool builder is finished with the pool and ready to push the dirt back in around the outside perimeter, make sure that he compacts in lifts and not just 1 time after filling in the hole. If they do not do this, you will have problems with the pavers/travertine sinking from the edge of the pool coping to about 3' into the deck all the way around the pool. Unfortunately I see this all the time being a manager for a construction company that specializes in brick paver and concrete decks.
View attachment 66024
View attachment 66025
When we install our pavers we put in a 4" layer of limestone baserock, 2" of screening and the 2 3/4" brick paver. Realistically the pool builder should have the compacted dirt 9" below the top of the coping but they never do. Most will just lay 2" of screening and the paver so over time when the joint sand washes out, water penetrates down into the dirt causing the paver to sink. Same goes for concrete decks if the dirt is not compacted in layers, it just takes a longer period of time for the concrete to sink. If you are going with pavers, seal them with a water based sealer. This will stabilize the joint sand so it doesn't wash away also gives the paver a non slick wet look that really bring out the colors. If you have any questions, let me know.
Small world — I used to be big in paver and retaining walls years ago. Does your company do any work in Port Royal for some big builders? We may have met....???

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@CraigAR Much appreciated!

@robert843 It's nuts anymore. The only benefit to us is the influx of people and companies from California. They are willing to pay a lot more for a home with a pool than without. I've seen premiums range between $60-$80k for a nice pool. How long will this last, who knows.

Digging is done and they flashed the dirt with some gunite.

2017-11-15 14.25.18.jpg

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Small world — I used to be big in paver and retaining walls years ago. Does your company do any work in Port Royal for some big builders? We may have met....???
We've done a couple jobs for 41 west in Port Royal a few years ago. I'm the project manager for Bauer Construction Group Inc. We work from Marco Island up to Port Charlotte.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Took out the rest of the concrete leading up to the house. That jack hammering was loud!

2017-11-16 15.55.06.jpg 2017-11-17 07.15.01.jpg

Pool equipment is in

2017-11-17 07.23.35.jpg

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:eek: I'm sure your neighbors have nothing but good things to say about you right now.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Trench for water and wiring?
Why the patio destruction?

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@mrmeaniemeateaterman Luckily my neighbors like me....or rather they used to like me. Trenching is for all the piping, gas line, and electrical. The patio was cracking and had an ugly aggregate finish. We're doing all traventine around the pool and wanted to make it match. You're spending silly amounts of $$$ already, might as well do it right.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@CraigAR Much appreciated!

@robert843 It's nuts anymore. The only benefit to us is the influx of people and companies from California. They are willing to pay a lot more for a home with a pool than without. I've seen premiums range between $60-$80k for a nice pool. How long will this last, who knows.

View attachment 66027
The pool build looks good. As a CA (Silicon Valley) resident your statement above make me think of a few local pool stories from recent years.
A) home owner getting a $22k utility bill for the month because she heated her pool up during the “energy crisis”.
B) realtors telling home owners that they would be lucky to get half the cost of the pool back on the home’s sale.
C) people filling their pools in during the last drought.

I’d love to have a pool even after working a pool maintenance job in my teens but after reading about the costs and trouble the only way I will have one is if it is already installed when I move in.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie That's what I always said too. I'll buy a house with a pool already installed. However, the real estate market here has just gone nuts and my wife and I love the house we're in. Plus she did remind me that the boat was my toy and is about to be paid off in the next two months....so quid pro quo...

Plumbing progress over the weekend!

rsz_2017-11-18_150443.jpg

rsz_2017-11-18_150409.jpg

rsz_2017-11-18_144000-1.jpg

rsz_2017-11-18_143431_hdr.jpg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, that's a lot more plumbing than I expected - ha.