• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Search for the RIGHT JetSki. . . . .

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everything below the line was for the original post I made regarding a very specific JetSki I was looking at. . . . . What I am finding out is this is likely to be a longer journey than originally anticipated. As such, I have renamed the thread and will be posting about each ski I am entertaining below. I hope to garner feedback from those of you who are more knowledgeable in this realm as I am just dipping my toes into the JetSki arena. I have ridden them (rentals/friends skis/etc. . . ) a bunch but never with the intention of owning one. This thread will chronicle that journey to solicit feedback from you all and hopefully for the benefits of any others who may be in the market.

--------------------

Avg. Retail via Nada is $3680 w/trailer.

Since this is the first used Ski I am looking at:

Going to compression test it (what psi should I be looking for?)

Visual cylinder inspection via bore camera. . .

Check wear ring/impeller w/bore camera.

What else should I be looking for and/or are there any known issues with this make/model/yr?

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC - I'm looking at you bud. . . .; )

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Check the hull especially near the tunnel and in the lower front where it would contact the ground when beaching, sounds a bit expensive for a 15 year old ski though. Hours may be real or he has a different computer, remember it is 15 years old. 58 seems a bit suspect.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the hull especially near the tunnel and in the lower front where it would contact the ground when beaching, sounds a bit expensive for a 15 year old ski though. Hours may be real or he has a different computer, remember it is 15 years old. 58 seems a bit suspect.
Thanks, will do. . . . Re: the hours. . . I believe they are real. It's actually a guy on my lake, who is the original owner, and he is only up occasionally.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Cobra Jet Steering LLC that sounds a bit pricey for an 02. I'm not familiar with the older Yamaha's does that have a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine? I would look for a newer VX or even a Sea Doo GTI. I bought a 2012 Sea Doo Gti with 25 hours on a double triton Aluminum trailer two years ago for $4500.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I just got back from looking at it. . . . didn't even pull the plugs. There was bubbling on the hull where it looked like it was separating, pitting on the jet, gashes underneath where it had been beached, oil (and Ski) was dirty.

Might give him $2K as a throw away ski if EVERYTHING else checked out. But $4K. . . . . no way. Not even worth posting the pictures I took.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well at least you did not have to go far to see it. The worst thing for a ski is to sit year after year not being used, I have close to 500 hours on 2014 models.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$4k is too much for that ski I see 04s and 05s for $3k often here locally in scal. The fx is the top of the line Yamaha I think the gti is close to the bottom of the line seadoo. For the next one, if there is a next one, I wouldn't pay too much attention to compression numbers, just take it for a spin, it should get to 52 mph at sealevel. Acceleration is good but not great compared to the 160 hp versions. Also try to test it when it is cold, my fx140 eventually died altogether but the rectifiedr went bad first making it hard to start for a while before the ecu finally died. Rectifier was under $100, ecu is closer to $1,200.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I keep looking up 2004 fxho models and they seem to be 3k-4500 and i would jump to that personally so the motor matches my boat and i have spare parts down the road. My wife won't let me though!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have updated the title and first post of this thread to more accurately reflect what I would like it to accomplish.

So, after all of the above and the various conversations I have had with local sellers. . . . we seem to be leaning towards a new ski (though not ruling out a solid deal on a used one).

That said, I am leaning towards the Yamaha Ski's for several reasons included but not limited to:

Engine/part compatibility with my AR240
Overall reviews
Performance Capabilities
Style/design
Local Dealer Relationship

Where I am a bit torn is the following models:

VX Cruiser HO
(1.8L HO Motor and a lighter ski, but no trim adjustment)

Kinda like the trip option not avail on this ski/power to weight ratio/and this price point

FX Cruiser HO
(1.8L HO Motor, Heavier Ski with Trim capabilities but $2K+ more)

Do I really need Trim capabilities for $2K? What other features might make this extra expense more palatable that I am missing?

FX Cruiser SVHO
(Supercharged 1.8L, with trim capabilities, but $5K more)

Currently all the local dealer has in stock. . . . not sure I like the idea of an SVHO motor that puts extra stress on the engine. . . . am Positive I don't like the price tag as much.

Thoughts?

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have my 2016 fxho with trailer and low hours in FL that my wife and I just wanna break even with. We don't use it really because we only have one and I'm so busy so when we go we take the boat. You can PM if interested if not that's cool too. Granted we could try to figure out the delivery.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Things may have changed since my 06 fx cruiser ho was released but I recall the fx having some features the vx did not. Like a reverse bucket, learning key, pop up cleats and a second multi function gauge. As far as the trim adjustment goes, I have it/a mechanical / wire-cable version. I never use it. If either Yamaha has a cruise control feature or a brake I would weight those heavily when deciding what ski to purchase next.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Things may have changed since my 06 fx cruiser ho was released but I recall the fx having some features the vx did not. Like a reverse bucket, learning key, pop up cleats and a second multi function gauge. As far as the trim adjustment goes, I have it/a mechanical / wire-cable version. I never use it. If either Yamaha has a cruise control feature or a brake I would weight those heavily when deciding what ski to purchase next.
Both have cruise assist and the new "RIDE" braking/flybywire reverse bucket feature. . . . Only difference far as I can tell besides overall size/shape/weight is the extra multifunction guage and the Trim on the FX.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have my 2016 fxho with trailer and low hours in FL that my wife and I just wanna break even with. We don't use it really because we only have one and I'm so busy so when we go we take the boat. You can PM if interested if not that's cool too. Granted we could try to figure out the delivery.
I appreciate the offer, but it would be tough to cost justify the travel/shipping on something like that. Whatever I might save on the purchase, I suspect I would lose on getting it here.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I appreciate the offer, but it would be tough to cost justify the travel/shipping on something like that. Whatever I might save on the purchase, I suspect I would lose on getting it here.
Totally understandable.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We will probably still have it so if you come again and still ski less just ask!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We will probably still have it so if you come again and still ski less just ask!
That said, any thoughts on my search. . . .? Do/did you like the FXHO? Do you use the trim at all?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use the trim on both of my fx cruisers , It helps with rough water and it helps to direct the jet thrust down when pulling tubes etc. Just remember the timing chain issues If you get a used one, I had one hatch at about 350 hrs and the other is still holding up at 480 hours so who knows if that will ever hatch, obviously the new ones have a better chain.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the trim on both of my fx cruisers , It helps with rough water and it helps to direct the jet thrust down when pulling tubes etc. Just remember the timing chain issues If you get a used one, I had one hatch at about 350 hrs and the other is still holding up at 480 hours so who knows if that will ever hatch, obviously the new ones have a better chain.
Another reason I was contemplating new(er). . .

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That said, any thoughts on my search. . . .? Do/did you like the FXHO? Do you use the trim at all?
I love the ski. The cruise is awesome, the power is great. The fuel economy is great. I use the trim also in rougher water and when tubing and just cruising. I really enjoy it just wish I could use it more