• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My theory on jet pump Ingress.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've owned a single pump 190 and about to jump into a twin, and this got me into thinking about the old jet boat problem of debris entering our pumps.
It was while I was in the "no wake" zone that my theory hit me as I went through some floating Palm fronds and weed but came out unscathed. Now, I'm not saying single pump boats cannot suck in debris, that's just dumb, but my theory is there a lot less likely to, the reason being to the location of the intake grates.
As a single hull boat pushes through the water its displaced to the sides, so any floating debris is also pushed away from the boat, but at certain speeds some of it will naturally mix with the water and submerge. This is where my theory hits, a single pump boat has its intake grate at the lowest point of the hull, where twins have them either side a little way up from the keel, so, making ingress more likely.
I like to live by logic, and most of the time it works for me, making my theory logical Mr Spock :D.
I've tried to illustrate my thoughts, a bit rough but I hope it gets my thinking across.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seems logical MR. Spock.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It works the same. Some noted they believe they had issues on the bimini trip due to not being on plane so things were not getting thrown out of the way. What I can tell you is a rarely ever head my 192 suck air on the pump however my 212X does it on heavy wake crossing etc. so it certainly supports your thoughts.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought they looked like Scarab owners who gave up waiting on their boats to be repaired and decided to swim. I know, I know ....just joking guys.