• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Tower Rack Saga!

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, The original tower racks on my AR230 were pretty rough when i got it. They were a solid design that held the boards well but the finish on them was shot. I often take a knee board and or the Zup board with me. So, I started looking for a combo rack and a matching just wake board rack. I ended up with cheap racks form Origin. One that came with the rubber inserts. These were a nightmare. they came with the typical rubber inserts to adapt it to your tower tube diameter. they would rotate down til the boards were angled down under almost any conditions. I tightened them and then even added a set screw to them. they would still rotate. with so much space between the clamp and the board with the large adapter they broke the ends off the set screw. So avoid this type of rack.

So, I've moved on. I ended up buying the Krypt quick release racks that are ordered with a clamp specifically for your tower dimension.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has mounted theirs lower on the tower. Seems the added weight on the high horizontal bar really makes the tower move a lot when hitting wakes or chop. down lower seems like it would be much more stable location. I cant seem to find much information on any drawbacks to mounting them lower. I'm even contemplating mounting them to the bar that parallels the windshield. anyone have thoughts?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm starting to struggle with this also, I have one rack that I have to tie with a piece of rope in the "up" position and both racks have lost their rubber inserts to protect the boards,

The only problem going lower is loss of visibility and docking or tying up to another boat,

If I have to buy another it will have a swivel but I'm really thinking about a "top of the tower" rack like CamKX made (more for surf boards but could work for anything),

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I caved and just spent the money to buy the really sweet samson swivel racks. Ordered a wakeboard/kneeboard combo and a wake/surf/wake so i can store the zup in the middle.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks!

Dang! $675 for surf/surf on Samson’s site. Is that where you purchased? I’m not sure the wife will go along with that in this season’s budget. Lol

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks!

Dang! $675 for surf/surf on Samson’s site. Is that where you purchased? I’m not sure the wife will go along with that in this season’s budget. Lol
Yeah that's where I got them. They are pricey but the rotation mechanism is so nice. Just pull a lever. No pin things.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah that's where I got them. They are pricey but the rotation mechanism is so nice. Just pull a lever. No pin things.
That video sure is slick!

Another thing I’m fighting with... I have an aftermarket tower and stock SX bimini. So, if I have the bimini deployed any swivel rack/board is going hit the poles until I take down the bimini.

Most of the time, I think I’ll be ok. But, on our recent trips every dock we were in had posts that would have been much easier to swivel in, so the top would have had to been put down each day. Not an unbeatable annoyance, just frustrating. :) But, not frustrating enough to buy the bimini made for the tower.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was very close to buying the Krypts. They are essentially the same chinese racks with some minor improvements. One is tower tube specific clamps, and a swivel system. I wasnt super impressed with their swivel system. I also never really liked the single bungee system on these. its a single loop of bungee so bascially 2 pieces of bungee over the board. they are in the middle so they tend to bunch up in the middle. if you have much bumpiness at speed this configuration doesnt hold the board very well. the board tends to slide around and I've had them almost fall out a few times. the samson racks have a loop per fork. so a total of 4 pieces of bungee and they are forced to be separated because they are attached to the forks. ultimately i would love to have the PTM Clamp Force racks, but they are crazy expensive. the other deciding factor for the samsons was the way they designed the kneeboard opening. I typically carry one of 2 knee boards. The thick roto molded board fits perfect in the 4" openings. This is the knee board i carry for kids, though it wont be as often now that i have a Zup. The kneeboard i carry for the adults is a composite board. It is thinner and would sit at a weird angle in the rack and the edge would rest on the wakeboard. the samson the kneeboard is on the bottom and tapers as it gets closer to the tower. I'm hoping this will hold a thinner knee board better.

Did you keep the Krypt, or return it? I’m looking at this one, too.
https://www.krypt-towers.com/quick-release-double-wakesurf-tower-rack/

The site has an option to add a swivel for $150, but I don’t see any pics of it. Anybody have any thoughts on that?