• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Trash Can Modification...

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finally got around to doing my trash can modification and thought I'd share here. My plan was to use a standard kitchen size trash can in the tray in the head storage area under the port side dash board. The trash can I got fits in the channel without moving the table, which I also store there.
So here's how it worked:

First, make sure I have all the equipment I need (forgot a tape measure, so had have my helper bring me one):
IMG_5818.JPG

Here is the before picture: IMG_5820.JPG IMG_5821.JPG

Next was to mark the spot to cut the rubber stuff.. This was the scariest part of the whole project. One thing I did was to make sure the whole would be completely underneath in case I ever decided on 'undo' the job and order a new piece to cover it up. My idea of a back-out plan.. IMG_5826.JPG

Cutting through was very tedious and I'd recommend using a sharper razor and only putting one line through. Trying to do multiple cuts created some loose edges that had to be cleaned up. The loose piece came up pretty easily with a scraper. The bowl was what I had that gave me a little extra diameter to give a little bit of a fit look. GooGone wipes took care of the left over glue. IMG_5850.JPG

Next was marking, taping and cutting... I used a 3 1/2" hole saw which was slightly large for the Yamaha cup holder, but the 3 1/4" was too small. I used a small drill bit first to get the hole started, then used the hole saw with a Dewalt right-angle driver. Pro-tip: let the hole saw do the work and keep it level so it doesn't bind up and rip the drill out of your hand. Fortunately I figured this out in my garage before trying it on the real thing.
IMG_5848.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG
IMG_5843.JPG
I decided to cut the inside piece from the inside:
IMG_5841.JPG

Finally, just cleaned up the edges, pre-drill holes for the screws on the plastic part and install the cup holder.
IMG_5840.JPG

IMG_5837.JPG

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

Finished product (cup holder also added):

IMG_5827.JPG

The alignment of the holder to the trash can is not spot on, so I may add a bit of PVC or corrugated 3" tubing to help the trash get to the right place, but going to see how it works for a while first. Would love feedback from the group on this mod..

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks neat, but make sure you explain it to everyone before they start dropping full beers into the 'cupholder'.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing! The only thing I was thinking of doing differently was I was considering attaching/hanging the trash can right up under the hole in a slide in slot (like two L brackets). This way the garbage can is up and out of the way, and there is no way stuff dropped in might miss. An alternative is to find a way to hold the can up with a frame...or as you say....create a shoot down to the can.

Another member did something similar to this but on the starboard side, and he used PVC piping to get the trash to the can.

Last edited:

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
"I dont like it, I love it!"

Pickwick18

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd like to know how much rainwater you've collected in there? lol.

Good idea tho and very well executed.

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No rain water that I'm aware of. It's fully under the wind screen. I have collected a couple full beers though!

I am considering doing @Julian suggestion of building a bracket to hold the trash can right up under the opening. The way it is it can overfill without me realizing it which is no fun...

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Maybe have a sticker made for around the perimeter of the opening that says TRASH ONLY!!!

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Or find a cup holder that is slightly smaller and slip it into the regular one....

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you have a parts list, or source that you ordered the ring from? Thanks for the write up. I am assuming it is a cup holder with chrome ring with the bottom of the cupholder cut off?

Yamaha part or generic?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No rain water that I'm aware of. It's fully under the wind screen. I have collected a couple full beers though!

I am considering doing @Julian suggestion of building a bracket to hold the trash can right up under the opening. The way it is it can overfill without me realizing it which is no fun...
OK....I'm following this.....very eager to hear if you come up with a way to hang it! I think having it up in the air in there would 1) put it out of the way and use dead space, 2) prevent over flow 3) get the garbage can off the deck (where I currently have it) and free that space up for a small cooler

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have our garbage on the Starboard side behind the Helm. So I saw a previous thread with one of these dropped in behind the steering wheel. I think they put an angled PVC pipe below so that the garbage and cans would hit the garbage can below. We will see if I can get it to line up without.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
A trap door design would be really cool if you can figure out how to put a spring loaded hinge on the bottom...

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found the cupholder parts from my vintage boat. Then I noticed the same part numbers are used in the new boats. Some were all metal, and I think those were the ones with the drains on the bottom. I ones I think I would want are plastic like yours, with a chrome ring. That plastic will be easier to cut the bottom out of.

Those must be the cheaper part listed. F2D-U5633-10-00

Very nice job!!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great mod! You could even put a rubber gasket on it to prevent, or slow down any accidental tossage....

Almost like a desk for cords. This way you'd have to know you're putting something in there on purpose, and would keep water and debris out.

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have our garbage on the Starboard side behind the Helm. So I saw a previous thread with one of these dropped in behind the steering wheel. I think they put an angled PVC pipe below so that the garbage and cans would hit the garbage can below. We will see if I can get it to line up without.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-trash-mod.10584/

Here ya go! I would have preferred to put it in the port side closet like JasonSchoenrock, great idea!, but I already had that modded with shelves and stuff. I gotta tell ya, now that I've had it a couple of seasons, it's great!

Now just gotta figure out a good option for trash while hanging out in the water at the stern!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's the thread! I'm gonna do mine that way. It's a great use for that space too.

Not like it's hard to open the door to drop garbage, but this has a cool factor as well. I think I want to spring the extra for a chrome ring cup holder though to dress it up. I may make it like the cup holder in the help. Then I will ask my wife to cut some vinyl to label it.

Thanks for the link!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Did you ever come up with a way to hang the trash can?