• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My trash mod!!!

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After racking my brain and staring at my boat forever, I finally came up with a solution for trash on my boat. I was tired of tying trash bags to posts, and going on friends boats with built on trash cans! It may not work for everyone, but it's perfect for me and my crew, since I rarely use the helm storage area anyway.

First I bought this port/hatch, whatever you wanna call it...

https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Marine-Screw-Inspection-Access/dp/B014Q8NPH6/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1469638519&sr=1-5&keywords=4+inch+screw+out+deck+plate

I was going to try to remove the windshield and use a hole saw, then thought about using a hole saw from below instead, but i ended up just using a dremel with a drill bit. It was messy, but I wasn't concerned with that since I was going to clean the boat anyway.

Then I had to extend the lip that would be below deck by pvc gluing a piece of 4" pvc to the bottom, it was a perfect fit. Needed to extend that piece so I can remove the elbow if I want to down the road. I didn't want the entire piece to be permanent, just the hatch.

I used this 90 degree elbow from Lowes/HD from the outdoor corrugated pipe area. I had also fitted a pvc elbow, but it was a little heavier than I liked, this is much lighter.

I used these nylon screws and wingnuts to connect the two pieces so that the elbow could be removed if needed without having to take off the hatch, which is now glued to the gelcoat.

Drilled some holes in the elbow and pvc, added the nylon screws, threw in a trash can that I had sitting around which I'll probaby just bungee in place and voila! Looks good, functional, no need to tie off any bags, out of the wind, fits cans/bottles and most everything else i'd have to throw away. Anything bigger than that, you can still open the door to throw away if needed.

The only things I keep in the helm storage is the table and legs, which I never use, and the Jetboatpilot basketball net which only comes out at anchor. Other than that I store the bimini cover when it's open. All of those still have plenty of room, plus I can still store my bumpers in there as well.

Very happy with the results.

A couple of things to watch out if you decide to do this...

The hole must be drilled precisely to clear the door and other contours underneath the dash. I was a little off with my placement and had to trim my elbow to clear the door. Not a big deal, but just be aware. Also keep in mind that you need a little extra room for the elbow to clear the door trim on the inside of the helm storage area. Just go slow, check, recheck, and check again before you begin to cut.

When drilling your holes in the elbow/ring, make sure to compensate for the thickness of the fiberglass. I ended up drilling more of an oval so I had some wiggle room.

The screws cannot all be installed in the hatch without removing the windshield which I did not want to do. I was able to put the three screws in closest to the end, and glue the hatch ring down. I may cut some screw heads off and glue them just to complete the look.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very creative! I assume cans and bottle fit?

I've been pondering something like this inside the big storage/changing room. A similar hole but on the far side of the top area where there is hydroturf now. Then creating a slide in can underneath it that is held up out of the way from the other stuff in that storage area.

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cans and bottles fit perfectly. I used a full size Corona bottle to check. With the black elbow, it needs just a slight nudge to go through. Really not even worth noting, but the regular pvc needed nothing, slid right thru.

I had looked at the big storage area, it'd be even easier to do the same thing over there, however I have that compartment already full with shelves and racks.

Last edited:

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been wanting to something like that. Great write up and thanks

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JDSCHMOO it looks great / stock and sounds like it works perfectly as well. It's nice that you can cover the opening.

I remember reading about a similar trash mod where the member removed a cup holder and somehow fastened a bag to the underside of the opening but I cannot find it now. This may be a good alternative for those that like this mod but don't want to drill their boat.

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I considered doing the cup holder mod, but I know I'd forget to tell everyone that it's not a cup holder!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JDSCHMOO , I hear you. Is the hole you drilled about the same size as the hole for cup holders? If so I would consider replacing a cupholder (the one furthest from the throttles) with the parts you used so that it would be clear its not a cup holder anymore and I could cover it. Again, think your mod is great but I my helm compartment is where I store my vests (lots of them) for whereas the aft compartment near the throttles only has a cooler in it that would not block access to a trash bag. Another big plus is that wouldn't have to drill a new hole in the boat.

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The hole is quite a bit larger than a cup holder would be, although you may be able to find a smaller cover to fit the cup holder.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. I will measure the area and head down to store when I'm ready to start buying next year's mods. If I can't find something smaller maybe I can enlarge the cup holder opening to fit the parts you used.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
also acts as a VENT to dry the storage if it gets wet :)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After racking my brain and staring at my boat forever, I finally came up with a solution for trash on my boat. I was tired of tying trash bags to posts, and going on friends boats with built on trash cans! It may not work for everyone, but it's perfect for me and my crew, since I rarely use the helm storage area anyway.

First I bought this port/hatch, whatever you wanna call it...

https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Marine-Screw-Inspection-Access/dp/B014Q8NPH6/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1469638519&sr=1-5&keywords=4+inch+screw+out+deck+plate

I was going to try to remove the windshield and use a hole saw, then thought about using a hole saw from below instead, but i ended up just using a dremel with a drill bit. It was messy, but I wasn't concerned with that since I was going to clean the boat anyway.

Then I had to extend the lip that would be below deck by pvc gluing a piece of 4" pvc to the bottom, it was a perfect fit. Needed to extend that piece so I can remove the elbow if I want to down the road. I didn't want the entire piece to be permanent, just the hatch.

I used this 90 degree elbow from Lowes/HD from the outdoor corrugated pipe area. I had also fitted a pvc elbow, but it was a little heavier than I liked, this is much lighter.

I used these nylon screws and wingnuts to connect the two pieces so that the elbow could be removed if needed without having to take off the hatch, which is now glued to the gelcoat.

Drilled some holes in the elbow and pvc, added the nylon screws, threw in a trash can that I had sitting around which I'll probaby just bungee in place and voila! Looks good, functional, no need to tie off any bags, out of the wind, fits cans/bottles and most everything else i'd have to throw away. Anything bigger than that, you can still open the door to throw away if needed.

The only things I keep in the helm storage is the table and legs, which I never use, and the Jetboatpilot basketball net which only comes out at anchor. Other than that I store the bimini cover when it's open. All of those still have plenty of room, plus I can still store my bumpers in there as well.

Very happy with the results.

A couple of things to watch out if you decide to do this...

The hole must be drilled precisely to clear the door and other contours underneath the dash. I was a little off with my placement and had to trim my elbow to clear the door. Not a big deal, but just be aware. Also keep in mind that you need a little extra room for the elbow to clear the door trim on the inside of the helm storage area. Just go slow, check, recheck, and check again before you begin to cut.

When drilling your holes in the elbow/ring, make sure to compensate for the thickness of the fiberglass. I ended up drilling more of an oval so I had some wiggle room.

The screws cannot all be installed in the hatch without removing the windshield which I did not want to do. I was able to put the three screws in closest to the end, and glue the hatch ring down. I may cut some screw heads off and glue them just to complete the look.
Can't see any of your photos anymore....can you upload them to our server?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just throw our trash in the lake..........not really, but we do have a trash bag tied somewhere that flops around at high speed, you guys know what I'm talking about.

triplet_dad777

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Loving this idea!! It’s great that it has a sealable top. I will definitely be adding this!! Thanks for sharing!!