• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My trim tab review

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We spent 3 days in Pensacola Florida. The first day we ran to crab island in Destin. The next two days we ran to Flora-Bama and gulf shores, all in the back bays. Put 12 hours on the boat and about 80 miles per day. The tabs make so much difference that everyone one in the boat will know when they’re down or not. I got “the look” a few times when I had them raised comparing the difference, or had them raised while in flat conditions and was slow to drop them when it got choppy again. You won’t know how much your boat bounces until you get trim tabs to see the difference. Some would say “night and day”.
I expected the fuel mileage to suffer but I didn’t see that. I actually saw higher numbers but we may have been running slower speeds due to the water conditions.
Another bonus that I didn’t even think of, is that you can actually steer the boat with the tabs or take the torque off the wheel when experiencing a good cross wind. Getting a strong cross wind on the port side, lower the port side tab and it will completely take the torque off of the wheel.
The main reason I wanted the tabs was so I could level out the boat, within reason, when too many people sit on one side. This usually works fine, but in certain conditions you can create unwanted torque on the wheel.
The only bad I see is that if you’re running a long distance like we were, and conditions change back and forth, you’ll find yourself adjusting the trim often. This isn’t that big of a deal, it isn’t from any ill effects from the tabs, you’re doing it because you want to, not because you need to. If you lower them slightly and leave them there, it’s better than what you had before.
The verdict? They’re worth every penny and I don’t see me ever having a jet boat without them.

This is on a Yamaha 242 with the lectrotab 9x16s.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice write up. I’ve thought about getting them but with only being in big water a few times a year I have a hard time pulling the trigger. The Mississippi can get choppy but nothing compared to the Gulf or Coastal waters & if it’s that bad I’ll probably not be going out anyways.
Thanks for the info.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Spot on! We’ve only put 4-5 hours on the tabs but thus far, I can’t remember how we went through last year without them.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Taking the torque off of the wheel was a game changer. There are parts of the local river that always have a cross wind and for about 5 miles, I'd constantly be battling the steering wheel. Now I let go of the wheel sometimes for miles. I did my tabs a little over a year ago. This is my third Yamaha and now I wonder why I never did it before. I'll never own a boat again without them.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anybody put them on a 21 ft boat? Think it would have a similar impact?

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has a profound impact. Total game changer in 1-3' chop. Anything less than 1', not needed. Anything more than 3', you will have reduced speed. I went with the LectroTab SLC-11 10"x14" per Russ' recomendation.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It has a profound impact. Total game changer in 1-3' chop. Anything less than 1', not needed. Anything more than 3', you will have reduced speed. I went with the LectroTab SLC-11 10"x14" per Russ' recomendation.
Great, thx. Did you install them yourself? How hard was it?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
At one point we were in 2-3s and I raised the tabs to see the difference and I almost threw one woman out the bow. Oops🤪

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know "the Look" I have seen it a few times when doing my own comparison. The Fleet Admiral says it was the best mod on the boat. No porposing of the bow. She loves to ride in the bow and not get bounced around. @Babin Farms Take a ride on one with tabs, you don't know what you are missing...until you know.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No wood. It is thicker in the outside area. I used some 5200 and slid a couple pieces of starboard back there. Messy but it worked. I felt the screws held solid through the fiberglass I just wanted to give is some extra and disburse the load. Probably not needed, but it is what I did.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
No wood. It is thicker in the outside area. I used some 5200 and slid a couple pieces of starboard back there. Messy but it worked. I felt the screws held solid through the fiberglass I just wanted to give is some extra and disburse the load. Probably not needed, but it is what I did.
So the screws went all the way through? I I’m looking at the Bennets too

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes the screws go through. I don't know anything about the bennets.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yes the screws go through. I don't know anything about the bennets.
Wow, I may go the bolt and nut route with a backing if there is access. That’s scary.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure why you would, but if it makes you feel better. I dont see you getting a nut back there.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Not sure why you would, but if it makes you feel better. I dont see you getting a nut back there.
Okay…one last Q…how long were your screws? Thanks

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont recall. I may have the instructions somewhere with the packing slip. 1.25 - 1.5 maybe just from memory