• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

my upholstery replacement '07 AR230

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Similar to Beachbummer's link above, except he's charging me $2,600.

Seeing as my daughter keeps growing I figured I'd better get this finished before she got to big, moved out or just realized she could say "not interested", I bought her a battery powered ratchet (she really appreciated it vs. turning a wrench)

It took us about 2.5 hours last night to pull all the cushions, just some 1/4 nuts and a few had Philips screws at the bottom from the outside,

I had to remove both the forward and aft carpeted panels in the head locker, 9/10 screw covers cracked/broke, not surprised being 12 years old and never removed before.

One of the worst parts was the original insulation on the engine hatch. It has been deteriorating and dusting the engine compartment and now is falling off in pieces, I had to tear small spots off to access the nuts holding the seats/seat back on. (I'll be pulling the hatch and applying new insulation on it also this winter as well a thorough wash of the engine bay ).

I'll drop the cushions with Luciano in the next few days and update more

20191205_172131.jpg20191205_195541.jpg20191205_195516.jpg

.20191205_165916.jpg

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took out all of the front cushions detailing the boat right after we bought it. Had to do the same thing with my kid. I got in but it was A LOT easier sending a 10yr old in the helm to do the work & he thought it was fun

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That looks like a lot of work. Our boats are getting to the age where upholstery is going to have to be replaced. I'll be following your adventure.
So total cost for all is only $2600?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The removal really wasn't difficult and I probably could have done it myself,

Doing it again we could have done it in an hour easy, the hardest part is just not knowing where all the nuts/bolts are and especially on the rear seats having to go into the same compartment twice, The cell phone was wonderful as my daughter could take a video in tight spots and I could point out to her what we needed to do.

I'm going to take good pictures to document where each cushion has a nut vs a slide or a phillips screw,

The total right now is $2600.

I dropped the seats with him yesterday and he won't be done with it until maybe Feb. (he's doing it as a side job). The local shops around here were quoting $4-5k

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for documenting! I will be in the same "boat" very soon. I expect to start looking around my area to find some one to upholster next fall, hoping to get another season out of the original

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20200209_200622.jpg

Picked up my cushions today, they look very good for what I've seen, they're shrink wrapped and i was surprised to see he found the hammer tone top fabric, it will probably be a few weeks before we install them

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scottintexas Please, please, please, find out his source for that hammered grey vinyl. I found a lighter silver hammered vinyl at Great Lakes Skipper, used in Mastercraft boats. Yours, what I can see, looks awesome. Can't wait to see it all back together. Well done you two.

I can't believe I missed this thread's OP two months ago, bad zipper.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas Please, please, please, find out his source for that hammered grey vinyl. I found a lighter silver hammered vinyl at Great Lakes Skipper, used in Mastercraft boats.
Unfortunately he speaks just a touch more English than I do Spanish :oops: and we had to go to basic words in text messages to communicate.
He's a super nice guy I just don't think I could easily get the info from him,

@Beachbummer - could you maybe call him and ask the brand and style number of the hammered vinyl ??

I told him I wanted to stick with the original look but figured he have to go with a plain grey vinyl. I'm having second thoughts now and hoping the hammered is going to last longer than the OEM vinyl and that the "OEM sunburn" isn't a trait for all hammered styles.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
LOL, Hopefully not. So far the materials he used on mine have held up well. I've texed him with your question. I'll let you know what he says.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He doesn't have it handy but will ask at the location where he purchased it. He was greatly surprised to find such a good match at the store.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in the process of doing the seats in my boat also, except I was crazy enough to do it all myself, sewing and everything. Purchased a sewing machine specifically to do it. I was quoted 3k for a company to just copy the covers, and then I'd have to staple the covers back onto the seats, etc, or 5k to just drop the boat off, and let them do it all. I am currently about $1,500 into it, including the sewing machine, vinyl, tools and all. I figure this way I'll be able to make repairs at will, and besides, my brother has a boat too, and his upholstery is starting to show some wear, so it's a matter of time for him also. So far, so good.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice, that's quality work right there.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, I'm trying to make sure it's good, quality workmanship. I'm a little OCD about certain things, and I want this to come out nice. I'm trying to take pics as I go, but when I get rolling, I tend to get very one track minded, and forget all about pics along the way. But either way, I'll try to make a post about it, and document a little bit about the experience, just for fun.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm in the process of doing the seats in my boat also, except I was crazy enough to do it all myself, sewing and everything. Purchased a sewing machine specifically to do it. I was quoted 3k for a company to just copy the covers, and then I'd have to staple the covers back onto the seats, etc, or 5k to just drop the boat off, and let them do it all. I am currently about $1,500 into it, including the sewing machine, vinyl, tools and all. I figure this way I'll be able to make repairs at will, and besides, my brother has a boat too, and his upholstery is starting to show some wear, so it's a matter of time for him also. So far, so good.
Very nice! What machine did you end up purchasing?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice! What machine did you end up purchasing?
Well.... that's a story in and of itself, but let's just say I very strongly recommend the Sailrite LS-1 or LSZ-1. I don't need the zig-zag capabilities, so I went with the LS-1. It's more money than I had hoped to spend, but it just freaking works!! I was going to wait until I'm done to make an official post, but maybe I'll go ahead and get something started, and just update as I go. It really was a bit of a learning curve, but it was fun once I was able to get rolling.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well.... that's a story in and of itself, but let's just say I very strongly recommend the Sailrite LS-1 or LSZ-1. I don't need the zig-zag capabilities, so I went with the LS-1. It's more money than I had hoped to spend, but it just freaking works!! I was going to wait until I'm done to make an official post, but maybe I'll go ahead and get something started, and just update as I go. It really was a bit of a learning curve, but it was fun once I was able to get rolling.
Nice, my wife went with the LSZ-1 about a year ago, because of potential sail work. Funny, she has already made two sails. Talk some about it here. https://jetboaters.net/threads/sailrite-ultrafeed-model-lsz-1-premium.20397/

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice, my wife went with the LSZ-1 about a year ago, because of potential sail work. Funny, she has already made two sails. Talk some about it here. https://jetboaters.net/threads/sailrite-ultrafeed-model-lsz-1-premium.20397/
I recall reading that thread, but still continued on to make a bad choice that hasn’t yet been rectified. Wasted two weeks with the other machine, before I decided to cut my losses, and got the Sailrite. Got more done with it in one evening than I did with the other one in the two weeks I had it. Oh, had the prospect of dollars saved not clouded my judgement... I’ll try to make a post this evening that chronicles my early adventures, and then update as I get things done.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Unfortunately he speaks just a touch more English than I do Spanish :oops: and we had to go to basic words in text messages to communicate.
He's a super nice guy I just don't think I could easily get the info from him,

@Beachbummer - could you maybe call him and ask the brand and style number of the hammered vinyl ??

I told him I wanted to stick with the original look but figured he have to go with a plain grey vinyl. I'm having second thoughts now and hoping the hammered is going to last longer than the OEM vinyl and that the "OEM sunburn" isn't a trait for all hammered styles.

I was hoping to redo as original. Yours is the first grey hammered vinyl I have seen. I can get just about every other color as it was used on Mastercraft boats.

20200210_181923.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More details later, just wanted to share a picture of today's install (except engine hatch, still working on new insulation)

20200216_161219.jpg20200216_161201.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length