• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

my wiper fluid pump is leaking

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20181003_183218.jpg

1994 F350

My wiper fluid pump stopped working. I took the old one out and the impeller was frozen, it had a lot of corrosion on the outside so I'm assuming water made it inside and rusted it up.

I bought a new one and it went in very easy,the notch lined up, I was in a rush, thought it was secure, filled it up and it pumped fluid. Then I notice the puddle under the truck, it was leaking like a sieve.

Today I pushed the seal ring in further with a 1" socket and also pushed with a flat head screw driver. The leaking slowed down but it's still dripping.

The instructions said to put some dry graphite on the seal but I didn't have any and just put it in dry.

Anybody have experience with this? do I have to have dry graphite ? should I try some plumbers tape or a bead of silicone?

@buckbuck @Neutron @gmtech16450yz @Bruce @veedubtek

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always keep an aerosol spray can of tire shine handy for making installation of rubber parts easier.
If you try silicone sealant you most likely need it to dry completely before adding fluid.
Did the pump come with new seal?
Did you clean out the surface where it goes in?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the pump has a soft rubber seal attached to the end of it, the "seal ring" goes on top of the pump and secures it in the plastic hole,

I gave it a quick cleaning to get the big stuff out, it's clean enough I thought it was ok but I'm sure I could wipe it again,

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Brake cleaner on a rag might help clean it out.
I have installed a few of that type before. Its an odd setup for sure.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
To lube rubber parts where residue is not desired, use glycerin. If you can’t locate glycerin, then plain KY jelly will do it. Glycerin or KY washes completely away with water, it’s what we use in NSF systems to lube rubber o-rings.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
fixed, thanks for the help,

The pump housing on the inside had three scratches that were probably cracks,
I silicone it all up and let it dry and it doesn't leak,

side note, I put a VERY thin drip of silicone around the gasket and it overflowed onto the impeller causing it to seize up, I had to pull the pump dig the impeller and the seal of silicone out but it all worked,

20181004_170004.jpg