• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Yamaha 255xd experience so far......

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So i just got my boat back from my 2nd first delivery. I had to bring it back not 30mins after picking up and signing the paperwork because the jet nozzles were adjusted wrong and pointed incorrectly. Dealership had to put a warranty claim in for this repair and it was a complete redo to the steering system setup and cables/steering piston as they were set correctly from the factory at all. SMDH. No big deal they got it handled and i took delivery of my boat again today. Just got it home now and am doing a "closer" inspection on EVERYTHING.

My thoughts so far.....

Yamaha quality control is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.
The lack of craftmanship on assembly is astonishing. Ive started at the tail of the boat so far and i havent even gotten to the middle yet with numerous cosmetic blemishes, trim loose and flapping, gel coat not polished. Scratches on surfaces the should be scratchless for a new damn boat. Im beyond sour right now after nutting up 93k for this thing and it def doesnt give me the warm and fuzzy feel thaat i got my moneys worth. What i feel i got is a boat assembled with quality parts by inferior workers and or quality assurance teams that easily saw this shit and said FUCK IT.....send it.

I have interior panels that arent even attached at various points, no big deal...ill fix it myself. CANT this stuff has to be pinned or bolted up when the boat is first being assembled. You cant even get to some of these spots. Port and Starboard side trim on opposite ends just flopping around. Surely going to make racket on the water! Videos provided, because the pictures dont serve justice. Look at the starboard back speaker panel. The damn bolt isnt even secured. Keeps popping out like this after pushing it back in.

Thats my update for now....im not even done thoroughly inspecting it, i had to walk away before i loose my shit.

Attachments

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Does anyone have the right contact info as to where i should accelerate this up to. The more I think about it, this is unacceptable. Im just not going to go thru the motions and keep dropping off to the dealership for them to fix these fuck ups as i uncover them and not try and go to the higher ups to try and make a change. NO ONE deserves to spend their hard earned money like this and get subpar quality.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
You need to go through the dealer. When you take delivery of a new boat there are always items. I agree these loose panel are just shitty craftsmanship and poor qc. Inform your dealer that you have items that needs addressed. Run the boat for a few weeks and make a punch list. After your done schedule it with your dealer and have them work off the list. Thats usually how it works. Some big boats take a year to work out all the kinks. These boats are small and simple though. A few outings and a good detailed going over should be good. Put round orange stickers on everything before you drop it off

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is truly unacceptable, i would be just as pissed if not more. I have heard so many problems with these boats since the Covid hit and ruined our world. After hearing all the Q/C and other problems I would think long and hard at purchasing a boat till things are back to normal

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wicked92 You have every right to bitch about all these QC issues. That’s terrible for a boat that expensive. There’s a lot of us that paid half that money for used and had less parts falling off If any. Sorry to hear. Still a beautiful boat once you get these items fixed. Good luck

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Does anyone have the right contact info as to where i should accelerate this up to. The more I think about it, this is unacceptable. Im just not going to go thru the motions and keep dropping off to the dealership for them to fix these fuck ups as i uncover them and not try and go to the higher ups to try and make a change. NO ONE deserves to spend their hard earned money like this and get subpar quality.
The dealer is supposed to QC all that shit. That's what the 3K in dealer prep is for. I had issues with mine too. Just fixed it myself. Have you check for debris in the bilge yet? My pump was buried in metal and fiberglass shavings. Total joke.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what i undertand this is commonplace for Yamaha. I have been cleaning debris out of different spaces everytime I go in someplace new. Totally agree it isnt right.

But I wasnt going to give up the boat for weeks for the service department to get it squared away, and probably not up to my standards so I did it myself.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is funny in the sense that if you read anything or google about the manufacturing process, Yamaha brags about all the automation and QC.

But you have to remember, the world shut down for a while. Now, so many can work the system and make more on unemployment than they can working, so Yamaha has to have the same issue as everyone else... unskilled labor. Not to mention new model changes. Always issues for a few years..

With all that said, they should pay SOMEONE a nice salary to do QC and not send out garbage. And if dealers are charging for prep, they should prep. They have to have time since they dont have any damn boats to sell..

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure that makes sense. But why would they? They dont have to to sell every boat that is made. I am in total agreement with you, but if the consumer deasnt set the bar, things tend to ease off, with a lot of businesses. Its unfortunate. It is becoming a concerning trend more and more. Profits over quality and allowing substandard management

Klover

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I noticed a couple things on ours when we took delivery -- the biggest issue that was noticeable was a crack/chip in the gel coat under the left windshield near the tower and also some scratches/rub marks on the bow hull -- nothing huge, but none the less, shouldn't be there. They took pics and documented it and said they have a guy that can fix it -- he did some gel work for us on another boat and does great work. I did notice the side vinyl panel to the right of the captains chair near the throttle is loose as well. I agree though -- when you drop $100K you'd expect the boat to have better quality control.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It shouldn't have anything to do with the what you spend. Whether is is 20k or 100k on a product. Of course the materials and finishes are better in the higher price points with more features, etc., but the consumer is spending their hard earned money and should have at the bare minimum a totally finished product that they bought. Regardless of what you spend a seat cushion as an example, should be aligned properly and secured properly. And thinking that you are entitled to better quality control when you spend more is really something I don't subscribe to. Everyone works hard for their money and is entitled to a quality, safe boat. All of the boats should be QC'ed properly through a standardized functional program. That is where Yamaha is dropping the ball, but as we all are hungry for their product it doesn't force them to raise the bar.

If my staff turned out code and programs that where not QA Tested, I would lose my job fast, with my staff. .

My boat doesn't have a nice stereo or ballast bags or 1.8's, etc, and all the frills, so is the message that I will be cleaning shit out of my bilge and my misaligned engine hatch, seat cushions not fastened properly, hose clamps not secure, scupper hose loose, etc. Cool because I didn't drop 100k?

Also, of course I am going to bitch about it, but I have the skill set to correct most of it, which I did. What about those who don't? These type of purchases are not trivial for some people, but they want to enjoy their boat with their family none the less without blatant lack of follow through by the dealer and/or Manufacturer. And some just are not mechanically inclined.

What are they saying..... "Thanks for buying a mostly finished Yamaha, that you will be paying on for 15 years, good luck?"

Last edited:

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
And before long, karma and poor ethical business practices come back to haunt you..

Buy yes @HangOutdoors, consumers need to set the bar and take a stand.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
i appreciate everyone feedback good and bad. While i can accept some of these issue as par for the course.....some i cant. Im lost honestly. While I wanna give benefit of the doubt i honestly am looking at his boat as a fucking shit show going forward. The stuff that was overlooked is so blatant it makes me question everything. I already had a boat that would have NEVER tracked straight due to the steering fiasco....what i am to expect for the rest of the build quality? Can i live with a few dealer fixes....sure. but its always going to be in the back of my head that this was a friday boat when finished. NO ONE takes accountability anymore. My HIN # should be flagged and anyone involved with the prep and or build of this boat held accountable. My money paid in turn is what pays these peoples paychecks. If you have shit employees with no care for quality you need to clear house now and get the garbage out otherwise you will have continuous issues going forward.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This is funny in the sense that if you read anything or google about the manufacturing process, Yamaha brags about all the automation and QC.

But you have to remember, the world shut down for a while. Now, so many can work the system and make more on unemployment than they can working, so Yamaha has to have the same issue as everyone else... unskilled labor. Not to mention new model changes. Always issues for a few years..

With all that said, they should pay SOMEONE a nice salary to do QC and not send out garbage. And if dealers are charging for prep, they should prep. They have to have time since they dont have any damn boats to sell..

i can accept covid woes but anyone with a brain knows that with unskilled labor comes issues, So take the steps to insure your qc process catches everything so this shit doesnt end up out in the wild. The higher ups still on the payroll should be taking up the slack during the trying times to ensure a quality product worthy of the yammy name is shipped out. This is just lazy period and disrespectful to the people that put down the cash for any of their products. I didnt sign up for a boat with a * that says may "have loose fitting parts and or stuff not up to standard protocol"

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yamaha boats QC problems go way back before covid.

Their boats were put together with great engineering and care until about 2008/9.

My 2012 190 was a project. My 2016 240 was worse. Took me over a year and many trips to sort it out. Love it now, but it has been a long process, and there is a lot of blood and tears dried up on the insides of her thin FRP hull, lol.

The basic models are still great value for a very versatile boat. The more expensive new models - not so much.

I have a brand new 130+k Parker that was put together in NC last year - literally at the height of the pandemic. That boat is freaking awesome - put together so well, I'm in awe every time I check or inspect anything, it is built like a tank, everything is just tight and sealed properly, etc., almost no glitches. So far anyway. Far, far cry from Yamaha marine.

--

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
So i just got my boat back from my 2nd first delivery. I had to bring it back not 30mins after picking up and signing the paperwork because the jet nozzles were adjusted wrong and pointed incorrectly. Dealership had to put a warranty claim in for this repair and it was a complete redo to the steering system setup and cables/steering piston as they were set correctly from the factory at all. SMDH. No big deal they got it handled and i took delivery of my boat again today. Just got it home now and am doing a "closer" inspection on EVERYTHING.

My thoughts so far.....

Yamaha quality control is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.
The lack of craftmanship on assembly is astonishing. Ive started at the tail of the boat so far and i havent even gotten to the middle yet with numerous cosmetic blemishes, trim loose and flapping, gel coat not polished. Scratches on surfaces the should be scratchless for a new damn boat. Im beyond sour right now after nutting up 93k for this thing and it def doesnt give me the warm and fuzzy feel thaat i got my moneys worth. What i feel i got is a boat assembled with quality parts by inferior workers and or quality assurance teams that easily saw this shit and said FUCK IT.....send it.

I have interior panels that arent even attached at various points, no big deal...ill fix it myself. CANT this stuff has to be pinned or bolted up when the boat is first being assembled. You cant even get to some of these spots. Port and Starboard side trim on opposite ends just flopping around. Surely going to make racket on the water! Videos provided, because the pictures dont serve justice. Look at the starboard back speaker panel. The damn bolt isnt even secured. Keeps popping out like this after pushing it back in.

Thats my update for now....im not even done thoroughly inspecting it, i had to walk away before i loose my shit.
Sorry about your new boat issues. It’s not a happy feeling to have something you want to be so proud of, but instead have one thing after another disappoint. I’ve had a few minor issues with my 212XE. I’ve fixed them myself because I don’t want to be without the boat for weeks at a time. The table bracket spacers were on upside down, so when the table was attached it leaned to the other side of the boat instead of sitting level. Also, the rear transom stereo control head was loose and floppy. You’re also going to find out that there is no EQ in connext for the sound system. They had it on previous years, but forgot it in 2021. I called Yamaha, and they said “It shows an EQ in the manual, but it’s not installed in the system for some reason. This has been called to our attention before”. They said they would check into it and call me back. That was in March. I haven’t heard from them. I’ve had enough stainless steel screws, washers, and aluminum come out of the drain plug hole to open a hardware store. All that being said, I still love the boat.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Sorry about your new boat issues. It’s not a happy feeling to have something you want to be so proud of, but instead have one thing after another disappoint. I’ve had a few minor issues with my 212XE. I’ve fixed them myself because I don’t want to be without the boat for weeks at a time. The table bracket spacers were on upside down, so when the table was attached it leaned to the other side of the boat instead of sitting level. Also, the rear transom stereo control head was loose and floppy. You’re also going to find out that there is no EQ in connext for the sound system. They had it on previous years, but forgot it in 2021. I called Yamaha, and they said “It shows an EQ in the manual, but it’s not installed in the system for some reason. This has been called to our attention before”. They said they would check into it and call me back. That was in March. I haven’t heard from them. I’ve had enough stainless steel screws, washers, and aluminum come out of the drain plug hole to open a hardware store. All that being said, I still love the boat.
Sorry about your new boat issues. It’s not a happy feeling to have something you want to be so proud of, but instead have one thing after another disappoint. I’ve had a few minor issues with my 212XE. I’ve fixed them myself because I don’t want to be without the boat for weeks at a time. The table bracket spacers were on upside down, so when the table was attached it leaned to the other side of the boat instead of sitting level. Also, the rear transom stereo control head was loose and floppy. You’re also going to find out that there is no EQ in connext for the sound system. They had it on previous years, but forgot it in 2021. I
Amen to that. I have a 212SE and have had some issues that I fixed myself. Haven’t tried the table yet, but now I will. How does your boat fit on your trailer? Mine is about 3” too far forward, having issues launching.