• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Naples, FL

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We (family of 5) will be heading to Naples, FL between Christmas and New Years and are considering bringing the boat (or jetskis).

Anyone in the area who can help us decide if:
1) In your opinion, is it worth it to drag the boat (or jetskis) 1400 miles each way
2) If it is, which one would you do for a family of 5 (Yamaha 230 or a pair of FX Cruisers)
3) Another option would be to rent a boat for a (couple of) day(s)

If we decide to bring it/them, I would be appreciative of advice on where to put in, where to go, places to avoid, etc... If we decide to rent, where would you rent?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let’s start with where will you be staying? Will you have a dock?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also depends on where you live. If in the great north with a winterized boat and salty slushy roads, I would be much more likely to rent than if coming from somewhere like Texas. I have a family of 5 and would personally bring the boat over skis so everyone enjoys the time exploring comfortably and together.

Jon Burns

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Never stayed in Naples but a few summers ago we towed the boat from southern Maryland to Marco Island just south of Naples. It's about 1100 miles each way and was completely worth it. I calculated average fuel costs with and without the boat and compared that against the rental costs in the area. Rose Marina is $385/full day (8 hours) and Naples Bay resort is $379/full day for deck boats. The additional fuel costs of towing were not nearly that much. If we used the boat once in a 2 week period we'd save money.

We rented a house on the north side of Marco that had a lift and canal that opened to the river. This was ideal as we could just drop the boat in and have a short no wake zone before opening to the protected river. Many homes in Marco are waterfront and even have lifts but they are located well inland and/or open to the gulf. Besides long transits in no wake zones, you'll also have to contend with the Gulf if it gets choppy. Staying on the north side allowed us to run the river up to Naples, over to Keewaydin Island and down to Goodland.

I would bring the boat over the skis as the boat allows for more gear and longer range. Regardless if you stay in Naples or Marco, you'll want to make a day out of Keewaydin Island. Many people bring tents and grills. Also head down to Cape Romano to check out the Dome House.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses so far. Let's see:

1) We do not yet have accommodations booked (mainly because I am debating whether to get waterfront with a dock or not)
2) We live in WI, but may just leave the boat in FL until spring (at my sister's home in Naples) if we do bring it so we do not have to tow it back and put it away (again)
3) Gas differential towing for us pays for 2 days on the boat, as we would take the Tesla (free "fuel") if we don't tow the boat

How is the boating at the end of December? Worth it?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boating at the end of December is great weather wise. It will be warm but breezy and the water too cold for the natives and long term transplants....but you great white northerners will be sweating and jumping into the frigid waters!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
^ the weather is about 80, and the water is ~70 IIRC. It's perfect boating weather, a typical summer in WI if I had to guess.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
^ the weather is about 80, and the water is ~70 IIRC. It's perfect boating weather, a typical summer in WI if I had to guess.
Lol, I love how people think we are up near the Arctic Circle.

It was 90° and sunny today (real feel of 95°). Water temp is in around 80° depending on where you boat.

Unfortunately my kids will balk at 70° water temp (maybe we'll bring 2/3mm dive shorties).

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
lol. Guilty as charged.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We rented a house on the north side of Marco that had a lift and canal that opened to the river. This was ideal as we could just drop the boat in and have a short no wake zone before opening to the protected river.
Mind sharing a link to the place you rented, if an AirBNB/VRBO type? We're considering moving to SW Florida in the next 5-7 years, and will plan an extended vacation there in the next couple years to explore the place. Checking out the boating scene is a must as well!

Jon Burns

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mind sharing a link to the place you rented, if an AirBNB/VRBO type? We're considering moving to SW Florida in the next 5-7 years, and will plan an extended vacation there in the next couple years to explore the place. Checking out the boating scene is a must as well!
http://www.rentmarco.com/Unit/Details/68777

Looking at the photos, it seems they took out the boat lift. But in the description outdoors it says boat lift. Anyhow that's the property.