• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Naval air station Key West

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So @wallacerb @tim h and my self are heading down to Naval air station Key West at the end of July and wondering if anyone knows any good places around there to take the boats?

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And scuba dive!!!!

CBF0112

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Snipe point and Marvin Key are the most beautiful sand bars I’ve seen. Check Google Earth, you’ll see them on the North side.

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I live on Sigsbee (NAS Key West housing) and from the ramp to Jewfish Basin it's less than 7 miles and takes me about 15 min. Gorgeous water. Smooth sand bars. Just have to remember there is some "skinny water" down here.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Better late than never (see 2018 post date...), however I am headed there, virus gods willing this July so I am more than happy to hear anything you have to saw about boating in the Keys. Gonna be staying in the Gateway Town home rentals on Trumbo. Any pointers on best place to launch if you have a military ID?

\\\Wolverine///

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
At the Trumbo townhomes you can park across the street in the grass with the boat. Most military and DoD here launch on Sigsbee at the Marina. Two ramps into a protected cove. Bait, center console rentals, fuel dock (I just get gas at the NEX before launching), restaurant and bar open after like 1600 most days (MWR)
I've never launched at Boca Chica but they have a ramp and large Marina with a restaurant and bar.
Water is shallow. Consult charts because what may looks like open water depending on the sun angle to the outsider is a foot deep. I'm still learning the best routes to the spots I've discovered.
With Atlantic and Gulf, one side is generally calmer than the other, currents can run strong in areas during tide change (usually only 1-2 foot swing)
My best friend has been NOAA charts and Google satellite view to find places to check out

Fabio2020

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
going to key west at the end of July also. Would love to hear about ramps and storage for the trailer while I’m there. My rental doesn’t allow trailers

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sadly the base Commander cancelled all leisure stays at the lodging there for July and said Aug may also get canceled as well. Gonna have to put my trip off till next year. Looks like the spike is drawing some reactions, Keys are still open for now but who knows how the things will evolve over the next few weeks and months. Good luck with your trip, if you go post pictures and info, hopefully we can use it next year for planning!