• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a Chartplotter, looking for advice.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As the title states I am looking for a new chart plotter. I am looking for a 7 inch display and I don't want a touch screen. I have almost no knowledge, so any input is greatly appreciated.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As the title states I am looking for a new chart plotter. I am looking for a 7 inch display and I don't want a touch screen. I have almost no knowledge, so any input is greatly appreciated.
Can I ask why you do not want a touch screen? I really like the navionocs maps I think my next one will be a unit that uses those. What are your must have features on a chart plotter and main uses that will help to narrow the field down some?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Rob9550 many pros use Navionics on tablets these days - the key is to get a mount that won't fail, such as RAM or Seasucker etc.
Several guys here use those - Check out @greg @sstegh @shane hric

--

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It really depends on how you plan on using it. If you're just looking to chart different route, that I would try out the Navionics app on your phone first.

I bought a RayMarine dragonfly but I found out that using my phone was a lot easier.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I ask why you do not want a touch screen? I really like the navionocs maps I think my next one will be a unit that uses those. What are your must have features on a chart plotter and main uses that will help to narrow the field down some?
I am only getting this for the Bimini trip. I don't want touchscreen due to the risk of getting scratched. I will also use in the future when I go to new lakes and I don't know the depths etc...

I have a Tablet that I could use but its 10" and I am worried about the ability to mount such a large item in a boat that could see larger seas. I don't fish so I don't think I will need the transducer since the boat already has one.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My fat Italian sausage fingers have been all over my Simrad G07 and not one scratch. The screens on these new touch screens are durable.
You can always put a protective film on it

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I really like the dragonfly 7 pro. same as one you are selling but bigger.

it was least expensive one with navionics. I think it can be had for around $450 or less.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went to a few stores today and checked out the Garmin 73dv, Lowrance Elite-7Ti and the Simrad GO 7. After using each, I think that I like the Lowrance the most. Anyone have any experience with the Lowrance?

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe Out On The Reef has the Lowrance Elite 7. I have a Garmin 741xs. After a year I'm still very happy with it. Garmin offers a 7" non touch screen that has the same graphics. They all look good while standing around lurking in West Marine.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually wound up getting the 5in Garmin and ordered the coastal maps. I just didn't see the need for the 2 extra inches on a boat that I won't use the chartplotter all that often. It was also on sale at Anchor Express for $349.

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just purchased the Dragonfly 5 Pro from Defender for 279.00

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
when you buy a chart plotter whether it me a garmin or dragonfly do you need to install the transducer or is the depth sounder on board sufficient thanks

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased the Dragonfly 5 Pro from Defender for 279.00
That's w/o maps though, correct?

EDIT: Well, I'm waiting for a Dragonfly 5M (no sonar/transducer) from Defender except I paid exactly $100 more.
Seems like what you are getting comes with the same Navionics+ maps, the same unit PLUS sonar and transducer. What am I missing? lol.

I still want a simple chartplotter though.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when you buy a chart plotter whether it me a garmin or dragonfly do you need to install the transducer or is the depth sounder on board sufficient thanks
It totally depends. In my current boat the depth gauge is FANTASTIC (knock on wood) - works 100%, any speed, very shallow depths etc. It is also a true through-hull (not in-hull). I decided I have no need for an extra sonar and have been using iphone/tablet based Navionics, and now getting the Dragonfly 5M (chartplotter only) for a permanent install (w/Navionics+).

--

Nickp98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I am only getting this for the Bimini trip. I don't want touchscreen due to the risk of getting scratched. I will also use in the future when I go to new lakes and I don't know the depths etc...

I have a Tablet that I could use but its 10" and I am worried about the ability to mount such a large item in a boat that could see larger seas. I don't fish so I don't think I will need the transducer since the boat already has one.

It looks like you might have bought one already but I use an iPad mini 2 with a lifeproof case and a ram mount with the Navionics app. It works great and have no issues with it moving at all. IMG_1895.JPG

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My fat Italian sausage fingers have been all over my Simrad G07 and not one scratch. The screens on these new touch screens are durable.
You can always put a protective film on it
Do you have any photos of your mounted G07?