• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new Home Reciever-Onkyo SR-TX707 DIED!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My dual zone HDMI Onkyo Reciever no longer works on the main zone (zone 2 works fine). I've looked this up, and apparently Onkyo had issues with this amp and back in 2012/13 they were repairing them. I'm not even going to bother calling them in 2017.....but I'm not sure I'll be buying anything more from Onkyo!

So who's happy with their Reciever? I need something with:

• Decent power
  • Dual zone audio
  • HDMI pass through

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been doing a bit of research on receivers since I am going to need a new one for the the house (old one staying in the media closet at the old house). I like a website called The Wirecutter for electronics reviews and their sister site The Sweethome for appliances etc.

Their top pick for a home theater receiver for most people is the Denon AVR S720w and its in sale at Amazon right now.

I currently have a top end pioneer that I bought for the features it had and the competition did not years ago and have not had amy issues eith it.

I have also had a Onkyo die on me and won't go back. Their stuff use to be more top tier but when they went after the mass market segment their quality went to heck.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got an Onkyo receiver that is a year 2000 or so vintage that is still going strong, but lives in the camper. It would still be in the living room if it had HDMI. When I upgraded the house system to HDMI I stayed with the Onkyo family, but went to their premium line Integra. I've been very happy with it and it's a solid performer. It took a little time to fine tune it, but once I got it dialed in its been great. I like their amps in their receivers, they are underated on the power that they really put out.

I wish I had a different recommendation for a different brand, but I don't @Julian. This is the brand that I found and liked. If you want a different brand, and this is what I would do, is go to a Best Buy that has the premium branch, called Magnolia here in Dallas. Shop their higher end brands and talk to a knowledgeable salesman. They usually have them in those stores. I'd also go to a home theater store to shop around. Sometimes you can luck into some sweet deals on some awesome equipment at those type of stores.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have Denon and Onkyo receivers running HT setups. I like them both, but the Onkyo has a much, much better UI for setting things up that the Denon. My Denon is a few years old now (maybe 8 yrs?), so maybe they have made that better since so check into that if you do look closer at Denon models. I remember even looking at a 'Denon to English' translation website when I first bought my Denon so I could figure out all the options. :confused: I have also had good luck with higher end Pioneer models.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've had 3 Yamahas over the past 20 years and they have all been excellent. Other than one that had a video card replaced under warranty, they all still work flawlessly. I currently have a rx-v779 (Last year's model), which has dual hdmi out, pass through, and (true, not just a limited # of inputs) 2 zones, among all of the other typical features (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi control, etc.). My use sounds similar to yours, I output to tv and/or projector, and can remotely control non theater room house speakers via 2nd zone.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well I went out shopping yesterday and impulsively bought a Sony STR-DN1070 on sale at Best Buy for $449 (from $599), and while I was at it I grabbed a couple of Klipsch R-15M book shelf speakers. Set them up last night and am happy so far. I looked and listened to the Denon and Yamaha's and they were nice, but I had a Yamaha die on me last year in our media room, so I shied away from it. The Denon and Sony sounded close enough, and the sale won out on the Sony. BB also matched Dell.com's sale price on the R-15Ms ($199).

Already used the Bluetooth on the Sony....glad I got that!

So tests at home are good and I think we will be ready for the next dance party (New Year's Eve was the last one)....

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had bad luck with Onkyo. The HDMI board in mine went out but there's some information on the web about replacing capacitors to fix that issue. I tried the fix, and it worked. A few months later the receiver died. I was pushing it pretty hard because we were all acting like we were in college again but I feel an amp should be able to be cranked every once in a while. My friends have also had bad luck with Onkyo. HDMI issues on two, and one just wouldn't turn on. I bought a Yamaha and have been very happy since. The UI and settings are pretty boring and a little unfriendly to navigate, but it's been reliable and has all the features I wanted. When my friend's Onkyo wouldn't turn on, Amazon replaced it. I convinced him to pay the extra to get a Yamaha and he still thanks me for that recommendation.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've had bad luck with Onkyo. The HDMI board in mine went out but there's some information on the web about replacing capacitors to fix that issue. I tried the fix, and it worked. A few months later the receiver died. I was pushing it pretty hard because we were all acting like we were in college again but I feel an amp should be able to be cranked every once in a while. My friends have also had bad luck with Onkyo. HDMI issues on two, and one just wouldn't turn on. I bought a Yamaha and have been very happy since. The UI and settings are pretty boring and a little unfriendly to navigate, but it's been reliable and has all the features I wanted. When my friend's Onkyo wouldn't turn on, Amazon replaced it. I convinced him to pay the extra to get a Yamaha and he still thanks me for that recommendation.
Yeah....when I was researching my Onkyo issue there was tons online about HDMI boards going bad. The Sony has one of the best UIs I've seen on a Receiver so far. Lets hope it can handle cranking up the volume a few times a year!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had several Yamaha receivers. Every one of them have worked great and lasted a long time. My oldest one lived through my college days when we would rattle the walls of the whole apartment building. I haven't had a Sony in a while, but these days I assume everyone is probably using the same components anyways.