• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Advice Buying SX230

random155

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I went to see an 07 SX230 yesterday, that I might think about buying. I'm hesitant because the guy is not the slightest bit mechanically inclined and he admitted that he really didnt do any upkeep on the boat himself. He didnt even know where the engines where... wtf. He owns a business and would just pay people to fill it with gas, haul it around and docked it in fresh water all summer. It sat at a maria on consignment all last summer, with no cover. All the upholstery needs to be re-done (ALL OF IT). Decals are faded to, almost white, small hull damage (above water line), trailer bunks need replacing, needs cover, didnt even open the bimini top, the whole thing is filled with water after left out in a rain storm. The engines look clean, with no leaks or visible problems, but he didnt have the hose adapter to run the engines out of water, so I didnt get to see/hear them run. Battery was also dead. I know everything depends on price, so the asking price is around 13,000... but he kept telling me that he just wants to get rid of it. To be honest, I'd be nervous even spending 5k on it, but would consider it. With the amount of money I need to spend, I'm not sure its a good buy. Now, before you say steer clear it needs too much work... I do like buying and fixing my cars/boats at a good price. I can do a lot of the work myself, but upholstery is way out of my league (unless pre-cut and I just need to staple on). So, is this a horrible decision? Im honestly thinking of offering the guy 3500 for the boat, knowing I'm going to have to put in at least 7k (making it a 10k boat).

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it's mechanically sound, and seaworthy, compression good all 8, oil is ok, and hours are reasonable. And you can take it out for sea trial and everything works as it should, top speed time to plane etc. I would bet you can fix all of the cosmetic neglect issues for 5k or less. Once you've fixed up it would likely sell for 15k or more.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it runs good and you can get her under 10k I think it would be a great purchase. I would NOT say it about any other boat, but those 2007-2009 230 Yammies are some of the most versatile and reliable runabouts ever made, overall.

I don't consider upholstery to be a DIY project, but some members here have done it fairly inexpensively with fantastic results.
Check out @MX71 post, he did a fantastic job on his 2005 230 and may be able to give you some pointers:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2005-sx230-upgrade-exterior-wrap-new-interior.9976/

Also check these out:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/time-to-reupholster.4936/

https://jetboaters.net/threads/upholstery-ques.9623/

https://jetboaters.net/threads/want-to-get-my-upholstery-redone-suggestions.235/#post-4449

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nicely restored you would have a greater than $20K boat. After confirming the engines are in good condition I would be willing to buy her for $10K. If you get her for less even better.

@Andy S has experience restoring a SX230 that he enjoyed for many years.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just to be clear though, you say she is a 2007. 2007s are the second generation with only one captains chair, a useable head compartment and without the storage compartments at the sides of the engines. The second generation typically sells for quite a bit more than the 2004 to 2006 230s.

random155

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes 2007. One captain chair and the other can be laid flat or upright.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely don't buy it without hearing the engines and if possible hooking up a YDS to view the stats on a computer,

you can bring a small battery jump starter and it is enough to start the engines, but I would then be cautious about old fuel,

Was he the original owner, if not I'd be even more cautious,
did you look under the boat at the keel or at the intakes/impellers for their condition?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The lowest price I have seen on a running 2007+ SX230 was $17,000. Most sell over $20K.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this boat runs okay, it could be an amazing deal at 10k.

--

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with Bruce on price, the 15k, would be a fire sale "I gotta get out today " price. If the boat it's in good mechanical condition, and you get boat for 10k or less you have redefined the term "Motivated Seller"

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
List your location.. there maybe a member close by with the yamaha software to read the numerous on the engines..

random155

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. I'm coming from an 18ft bayliner, and was really in the market for a sx210, but this just kind of popped up, a friend of a friend kind of thing. If it works out, I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@random155 you've already received a lot of good advice. In 2010 I purchased a damaged 07 Yamaha SX230 but my damage was just hull damage, luckily the upholstery was still in very good shape and I was able to hear the engines run on the hose before purchasing. After doing some research, that was before I found forums to ask questions, I came up with a purchase price that I thought would allow me to, if necessary, put money back in my boat and still not be upside down. I think this is something you and only you are going to have figure out, what is your threshold for risk. Since the boat is in bad shape and has been for sale for a long time, it appears that you will have time to due some research on the exact expense to re-upholster and repair other items. With 07 SX230 selling in the low 20's, you can back off the known expenses from 20k, then subtract a risk amount (cost associated with potential unseen problems) and this will give you the highest price you will pay for the boat. Since the owner seems desperate to unload the boat, I would push him as low as you can to create the biggest cushion to absorb unplanned fixes.

Like other have said checking out the motors, even on a hose, is a great way to evaluate potential additional expenses. Also, before even running the motors check the engine oil to make sure there is no moisture (doesn't look like chocolate milk).

Good luck and hope you keep us posted on what you decide.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. I'm coming from an 18ft bayliner, and was really in the market for a sx210, but this just kind of popped up, a friend of a friend kind of thing. If it works out, I'll let you know. Thanks again.
Do a compression test on all cylinders on both engines.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a LOT of work...Even a boat in good condition is a lot of work. Definitely invest in the YDS software. It will tell you exactly how many hours and every diagnostic code ever tripped.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it a fresh water or salt water boat? If it's salt water, run away and don't look back. Neglect that looks like that abused upholstery would be the same on the cooling system too. Also, how close to the water are you? I usually drive 4-5 hours to get to the lakes that I like to use and stay for several days. So a part failure will ruin a week long trip for me. But if you have access to the water just minutes away from the house, you probably could better handle a boat issue that would just spoil a days outing and it would be easier to work the bugs out.

Just plan on the following repairs:
1. Replacing both reverse cables
2. Replacing both steering cables
3. Inspecting and possibly rebuilding both pumps
4. Checking the thermostats
5. Make sure to have a second battery or starter pack
6. Replacing/inspecting every exhaust hose clamp

Good luck with your boat search. Hopefully you find one that works well for you.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3500 offer? Do it if he accepts. Then put your sweat into it. If the engines check out, this is a steal. Spend the money for the software. 60 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Outboard-Jet-Boat-WaveRunner-YDS-Diagnostic-cable-set-Plug-play-/330918278833?hash=item4d0c4436b1:g:PH4AAOSwux5YUQoy&vxp=mtr

The upholstery is a bear to do yourself, however. Go ahead and steal the boat, assuming the engines check out. The rest you can take care of yourself for another few grand exclusive of the upholstery.

random155

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I offered $5000, and have yet to hear back. I dont think that will do it, but we'll see how it goes.