• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice, starboard engine (1.8L) stalling.

surfer212

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I'll take any suggestions or advice from the experts on this forum.

Boat: 2012 212X, 1.8 liter engines, approx. 170 hours accumulated.

Problem: starboard engine stalling occasionally, usually when at low rpm, near idle, or decelerating to idle. Yesterday it stalled when at 6000 rpm, first time that happened. The engine usually starts right back up. Only once, earlier this week, it would crank but not start - then started up a few minutes later. This stalling issue has never occurred until this year. The boat has been completely trouble free since new. Maintenance has been on schedule since the boat was new. Fresh oil and plugs at the start of this Summer.

Diagnostics: No blockage for cooling water. Checked engine compartment for loose wires, found none. My gut feel is that this should be an intermittent fuel delivery problem since there is no recognizable symptoms just minutes after a stall.

Any ideas or similar problems out there? (I saw the right engine stalling thread for the SR230 model but that is a different engine)

Thanks in advance,
BK

Steelerville

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Plugs won't make a motor stall. Im going with ur first thought, fuel. Sounds like bad fuel.. since its intermittent, hard to tell if pulling the fuel rail off to check the injectors would provide any info but its not hard to do. I still believe bad fuel, either water in the fuel or trash in their.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
wouldn't bad fuel affect both engines ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how often is "occasionally"? once a trip, once every three trips, every fifth time you use low rpms or can it be so random as twice in a row and no problems for 3-4 trips?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A failing lanyard switch would have your symptoms, each motor has it's own contacts activated by the one plunger. With the lanyard switch activated, the engines will turn over but won't fire. You can try cycling the lanyard switch to clean the contacts, doubt it will work but worth a shot. If the issue is still occuring, you can electrically disconnect the lanyard switch and the motors will still run, each motor has it's own connector. The electrical connections are behind the speaker at the driver right foot.

surfer212

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Good info everyone, thanks. Food for thought....

Scott, to your question: one day it will stall several times (5 - 7) when we are wakeboarding or surfing, over a half hour time frame, usually when slowing down or idling. It might not stall again the remainder of the day over several hours of run time. The next day it might not stall even once. Then go back to a random stall or two the day after. It is very random - no way to determine a pattern that will help predict the occurrences.

surfer212

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Thanks Andy, I'll try messing with the lanyard switch.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had this exact issue and when I changed the spark plugs the problem was solved. It usually happened when I was stopping for wake boarders etc. or pulling into the slip. There is also a POV I read that having the blowers run helps resolve some stalling as well.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@surfer212 when you say it stalls do you mean it dies? If so i would check you safety switches under the clean out hatch and make sure that they are adjusted correctly

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@surfer212 when you say it stalls do you mean it dies? If so i would check you safety switches under the clean out hatch and make sure that they are adjusted correctly
Wouldn't both engines cut out then? Also, it only happens at idle or deceleration....why would the switches act intermittently then and not during regular cruising? I still think it's most likely plugs. ... or maybe fuel injectors no?

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@rkgdmd Iwould check everything, safety switches included. It could be that just a slight bump or wiggle from a wave or change in torque with a switch just "in or out" of adjustment may cause the engine to shut down. Just my 2 cents. I am sorry for saying anything, I will just keep my mouth shut from now on and let the pros handle it.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@rkgdmd Iwould check everything, safety switches included. It could be that just a slight bump or wiggle from a wave or change in torque with a switch just "in or out" of adjustment may cause the engine to shut down. Just my 2 cents. I am sorry for saying anything, I will just keep my mouth shut from now on and let the pros handle it.
Whoa...sorry @Jebinok ....I was just thinking out loud. In no way did I mean to imply you didn't have a valid point. Sorry if I came across that way. I absolutely agree he should check everything. ..definitely can't hurt. I am definitely not an expert...nor do I pretend to be. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Steelerville

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bad fuel could affect only one motor. If the trash got up in only one fuel rail and has no where to go. I've just never experienced spark plugs stalling a motor. I guess it could if the coil is cutting out. I've had that happen but it would a couple or more to stall the motor.

surfer212

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I sincerely appreciate all the suggestions and the discussion points made. Thanks to all of you.

I cycled the lanyard switches a few times yesterday and have not had a stall since then. I will also check the cleanout port cover safety switches. I don't think it could be bad fuel since only the starboard engine stalls (it does completely shuts down). I don't think the issue could be the cleanout cover safety switch since that switch also locks out the starter for both engines. It always will turn over immediately after a stall.

Thanks to all the suggestions I will be checking on a number of possible problems. Probably finish with a spark plug change if the stalling persists.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It certainly could be fuel related as each engine has it's own fuel pump and as previously mentioned it might have picked up some trash and is in the filter or fuel rail but we don't see that happen very often,

The best bet is just to continue to try to eliminate things on the water while it happens, I had this same random stalling happen last year, it ended up being my ground wire on the battery wasn't tightened all the way down and only affected one engine, never had an issue since

surfer212

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Oops! Missed your post regarding bad fuel affecting only one motor Steelerville. Valid point without a doubt. I have only used ValvTect marine fuel since the boat was new. Generally this is great fuel but the tank its pumped out of is just as susceptible to contamination as any other.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't think it would be bad fuel as much as bad fuel delivery. An easy option is to swap the fuel pumps from one motor to the other. It also would not hurt to pull them and clean the intake screen when you do this. If that does not resolve it along with the other methods you tried then I would look at getting the codes read. You may have an intermittent relay or sensor.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah...lanyard or hatch kill switches would be where I would start. Spark plugs are usually bad running/rough running, not an outright stall (when the engine is running fine up until the stall).