• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help getting wheel off riding lawnmower

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need help getting rear wheels off axle of jd155c riding lawnmower

Going to replace the transaxle unit,

Took dust cover off
Removed c clip and washer
Everything on internet says they should slide right off

This tractor was under water for three days and don't know if wheels have ever been off, at least not in the last 10 years

While still attached to the mower i beat on the backside with 2x4 and 5lb sledge, ALOT, REALLY HARD, didn't move so i decided to pull trans with wheels on

Tried to put a jack in between with 2x4 for some constant pressure and knock on the axle but it doesn't get a straight up pressure

Picture of new unit also and doesn't appear to be any attachment points at the inward

Going to spray it with some break free and let it sit tonight

Any other ideas to try ??

@zipper
@Babin Farms
@Bruce

20230512_195049.jpg20230512_195106.jpg20230512_195122.jpg

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need help getting rear wheels off axle of jd155c riding lawnmower

Going to replace the transaxle unit,

Took dust cover off
Removed c clip and washer
Everything on internet says they should slide right off

This tractor was under water for three days and don't know if wheels have ever been off, at least not in the last 10 years

While still attached to the mower i beat on the backside with 2x4 and 5lb sledge, ALOT, REALLY HARD, didn't move so i decided to pull trans with wheels on

Tried to put a jack in between with 2x4 for some constant pressure and knock on the axle but it doesn't get a straight up pressure

Picture of new unit also and doesn't appear to be any attachment points at the inward

Going to spray it with some break free and let it sit tonight

Any other ideas to try ??

@zipper
@Babin Farms
@Bruce

View attachment 199721View attachment 199722View attachment 199723
Heat is your best bet in that situation, it looks very rusted up. If letting it sit overnight with pennetrant doesn't work get the wheel part hot with a torch.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep spraying with penetrant for a few days but first clean the end of the shaft till it’s nice & smooth. Emery cloth is what I would use.
Do you have access to a press? If so you could try to press it out with hydraulic pressure. If not try to make a stand to have the rim sit on and either use an air chisel on the shaft or just a BFH and punch. Just be careful to not mushroom the end of the shaft or you’ll have bigger problems.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the clean then oil and torch ideas better than my own but if those do not work I would consider grinding off the part of the shaft that is beyond the wheel to see if that helps with removal. If not perhaps cut the axle and see if you can drive it out from the inside.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have an air hammer? If so, maybe try a smoothing bit to help your penetrant work mo betta, or break free anything that might help you in your quest. Like @Babin Farms said, be careful of mushrooming the head, maybe use a 2x4 between the smoothing bit and the axle, that way the wood will take the forces that will mushroom the end, while still letting the vibrations work their magic. Might take longer to break free with the 2x4, but it helped me remove a bed bolt from my F150.

If you've got the materials, maybe mix up some Ed's Red and try that in addition to the Break Free? I've had good success with Kroil too, but if it's not on hand, I dunno that it'll be worth the expense or time waiting for it to ship to you.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not much else to add. Heat is your friend. Don’t beat on the end of the axle. If you have to, do it with a brass punch. I’d say use a puller but I don’t know of one that will work with a tire.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Success !

Neighbor had an air chisel, it didn't really do anything, he had a hitch pin that fit nicely and after a hundred swings of the sledge one came out, just a slow back and forth hanging it off the tailgate

20230513_114849.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Success !

Neighbor had an air chisel, it didn't really do anything, he had a hitch pin that fit nicely and after a hundred swings of the sledge one came out, just a slow back and forth hanging it off the tailgate
Was it just that rusted in there? It didn't look like there'd be much holding it other than rust, but if it was all the way around, that'd be more than enough. Anti-seize to help with removal if it's needed in the future? Not a silver bullet, but better than nothing.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fixed !!

There was a fine layer of rust all around the axle on light roughness inside the wheel,

Cleaned the wheel with my wire brush and applied liberal amount of antiseize on the axle

Drove it up/down the street in the dark and it drove much faster, hopefully mow this weekend

It would have been a two hour job without problems but turned into about 6

20230515_204220.jpg

The old one, i may pull the hyro pump and see about lapping it
20230515_204238.jpg