• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Help! MR1 Starter Motor Replacement - 2009 Yamaha SX 230 HO

Hallz17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can anyone out there please help with some step by step instructions, tips, or a diagram / pics on swapping out the starboard side starter motor. I have a 2009 Yamaha SX230 HO. Thank you

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not done this yet but what leads you to believe the starter is bad?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My question exactly usually it is a locked up pump impeller and liner keeping it from cranking over or a bad ground wire or a fuse or relay so eliminate those first

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree make sure it is really the starter and not the relay or the jet pump... i have done it with the engines out of the boat and no exhaust on the stbd side of the engine... I'm not sure how you would do it with the exhaust on you cant see the starter under the header and i don't think you can even get a wrench on it... ill look today more closely however i remember thinking as i was building my HO engines for the repower... there are some things that are not gonna be easy to get at... 🤔

Hallz17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not done this yet but what leads you to believe the starter is bad?
Most of this boating season the starboard engine didn’t start the same as the port side engine. The Port side engine was very quick and prompt to start every single time the key is turned. The starboard side engine sounded very long and drawn out and sounded like it was working very hard to get the engine started but it would always fire up until last week and now all it does is clicks. I replace the starter solenoid with a brand new Yamaha OEM part but that did not fix the problem it still clicks

Hallz17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My question exactly usually it is a locked up pump impeller and liner keeping it from cranking over or a bad ground wire or a fuse or relay so eliminate those first
Thanks for this advice

Hallz17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree make sure it is really the starter and not the relay or the jet pump... i have done it with the engines out of the boat and no exhaust on the stbd side of the engine... I'm not sure how you would do it with the exhaust on you cant see the starter under the header and i don't think you can even get a wrench on it... ill look today more closely however i remember thinking as i was building my HO engines for the repower... there are some things that are not gonna be easy to get at... 🤔
Thanks for this. I have read mixed reviews about doing this. Some say easy. Others say it’s very difficult. Just looking for some more feedback

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
make sure the cables and connections are not corroded Salt Water Boat?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed, I would check all the contacts and grounds before attempting to change the starter.

Hallz17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Used to be about 5 years ago. Its been fresh water since then

Captn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you ever find out what was wrong?