• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help picking my boat

noboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Convince me to buy a Yamaha boat 195 or 210. Tell me why I would buy this over an I/o or A v-drive. We will pull tubers some ski not sure about wake board but wake surfing looks fun but never done that. Please help!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Budget? How many people Max do you plan to take? How many most of the time? Where/how do you plan to store the boat? Are you ok with a top speed close/under 40mph?

What's your lake/ocean areas like? Do you need low draft?

These will help answer. The best boat for you is the one you enjoy the most that you can afford.

noboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry I should have put more info in there lol
1. Budget under 40,000 but closer to 30,000 if I can
2. People my family is 4. At most one other family so 4 adults and a total of 5 kids. Maybe once or twice a year 8-9 adults no kids.
3. Storage at a dealer or family farm friends over the winter.
4. Top speed not much of a concern. Just not slow like 25 top
5. Minnesota lakes I will pull to different lakes. We don’t have a cabin or plain one that any time soon. Also Minnesota lake are mostly nice clean and not that shallow.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to throw a wrench in there.. Unless you are very set on a new boat, also consider 2003-2009 230 series boats. Very comfortable for seating 8+, and priced Right.

Jet vs Prop, lots of prior posts on this board, but lower draft and more simple maintenance vs I/O and dual engines available were the big selling factors for me. Two engines, twice the maintenance, (which is pretty simple) but 99% more reliable to come back always under your own power. Layout is great.

Best of luck on your hunt, I'm sure others will chime in with specifics on the boats you asked about.

noboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! I should have also mentioned I am totally fine buying used. Although I was hoping for a little newer than 09. I was hoping for 2012 or newer if I could

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can tell you from experience you will want a larger boat with those number of people. In my mind my 192 sx was only good for about 4 adults, once I got past that it was very cumbersome and crowded. I had 6 adults on it once and it was not happy, getting on plane was a pain and very slow to maneuver, plus very crowded.

I had 6 adults on my 24' two weeks ago and it was nice, no issues. I would feel comfortable with about 8-9 people on my 24'. The capacity says 12 people, to be that would be way to crowded....

19' - 4 adults
24' - 8 adults

I guess that would leave:
21' - 5-6 adults
23' 6-7 adults

this is just my opinion and only backed by my brief experience, many on this site forgot more about these boats than I know....

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome from a fellow MN boater.

When I was shopping this spring, I come to find that Minnesotans don't get as many hours as those that live in the warm coastal areas. So the good used boats are out there, but they also know what they want for them.

I was in the same price range, so what I found was 2012-2013 Yamaha 212x boats with 100-130hrs for around $31-$33K. AR190's in the $20K-$25K range used.

You will find plenty of I/O's in the 18-20ft range but you will never safely surf behind one. You will find plenty of 20-23ft V-Drive boats, but you will never touch one under $40K, or at least one that will surf decent. Old Supremes or Supras or older Moombas may fall into the market, but they may not have good surf systems. Keeping in mind, that a 5 year old 212x is not a dedicated surf boat either.

A 210 would be in that range easily, but if you do want to surf, or you want the more powerful engines, go 212x and don't look back.

The final point is your tow vehicle. This conversation should revolve around what you are capable of towing as you mentioned you will not be on any one lake. I don't blame you, exploring all the lakes we have is the best part of MN.

Good luck!

PS: talk to the folks at one of the River Valley sports locations. They are the Yamaha Guru's in MN. (and update your location, someone local to you may have a lead)

noboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey thanks!
I have a 2012 ram half ton. I should be fine with most boats we use here in minn.
and I will give them a call

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You are golden with that truck for sure! Watch C-list and Facebook Marketplace. When a good Yamaha pops, they don't last long.

I had a lead on 3-212x and 2-242LS that I could not get to in time before they sold. My budget said a newer 190/210, but my mind said go get a low-hour 212 or 242 so that I could get the 1.8ltr engines and better performance. It's your call, they are all fun.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Convince me to buy a Yamaha boat 195 or 210. Tell me why I would buy this over an I/o or A v-drive. We will pull tubers some ski not sure about wake board but wake surfing looks fun but never done that. Please help!
I/O vs jet maintenance a no brainer. Had an I/O for 18 years. Replaced the lower unit 4 times....and I take care of my things....gears sheared, prop hitting debris, seals gone bad. And then there is the yearly maintenance....Lower unit gear oil change, bellows change, u-joints serviced/replaced, impeller pump replacement, just to name a few! With the jet....you flush, lube your control rods/cables, fog your engines, change you oil/filters and that is it. (BTW....you have to do all of this with an I/O also.) Not saying the I/O doesnt have some advantages, but if you dont want to have to spend money/time constantly on maintenance, and put it into other things like upgrades, jet is the ONLY way to go!~

noboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what would an I/o have over a jet? It’s getting hard to think of something. And a tow boat can tow and make a great wake but that seems to be it

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So what would an I/o have over a jet? It’s getting hard to think of something. And a tow boat can tow and make a great wake but that seems to be it
Manuvuring in reverse is better with an I/O or O/B. Stock jetboats need mods in steering and controlling the reverse thrust in order to back into areas, like a slip, when a cross wind kicks up. Install the mods. and accuracy is enhanced.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I/O's will have more bite in the water with a prop. I had an I/O with a 210hp V8 and a 4 blade prop and it pulled tubes and skiers better. When I pull a 3-4 person tube the object is to whip them around hard enough so I can look to the side of me and see them next to me crying in fear right before they hit a wake and get launched 8 feet up. Even with the 24 foot boat, a center keel and TV fins I feel the boat get pulled off center a little and sometimes it will cavitate when accelerating in a hard turn. An I/O just had better bite being 3 feet under water, where the rocks, logs, weeds and everything else wants to mate with it. For lakes and rivers I wouldn't go back to an I/O for the maintainance and reliability and safety factors especially with kids. Just my .02.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with the AR195 due to my desire to fit two cars and the boat in our garage. Our typical load is 4 adults and the boat is great for that. We had six normal size to small adults on board last weekend and it was fine, certainly no issue getting on plane as the boat still threw everyone back in their seats. That being said, if we had the space I would have gone for the 21' boat because the price difference between a AR 195 and AR 210 is pretty minimal, but I am completely happy with the size of the 19' for our needs.

We went from a slightly larger i/0 (2006 20' Sea Ray) and everyone comments how the Yamaha "feels bigger." It certainly handles rough water better and never seems to "crash" over big waves. Some people complain about noise, but I don't think our Yamaha is any louder than our old boat. Maybe Yamaha has made some changes over the years to quiet them down. I can't really think of any real disadvantages of the jet propulsion other than the risk of sucking up sticks when idling through a debris field, but the clean out port makes that pretty easy to remedy and that may or may not be an issue depending on where you boat. The numerous advantages and lower maintenance outweigh that risk for me.

Keep in mind these boats have great resale value. If you get the smaller boat you could always trade up in a few years!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for adding your location. I'm in Dilworth, and we keep our Yamahas on Little Pine North of Perham. If you ever care to come check it out, please PM me. We are there Friday-Sunday each week.

As far as I/O's go in the FM area, we have tons of dealers for traditional boats, and very few for Jet. But as others have mentioned, maintenance is easy to do yourself. And service can be done by a waverunner dealer as long as you don't expect warranty work.

But I/O service is everywhere. And that is why we have a huge assortment of used I/O's in our region. Our lakes have no issues with props. So that makes your decision easier. You can now base it on what you plan to do with it, and what sort of layout you like.

I helped our friends sell their Four Winns Horizon 180. This is a very common layout for entry level I/Os. The Four Winns is a better quality boat IMHO, and it was an easy sell for around $14K. You will find tons of options in that size with a 190hp I/O for under $20K. Many have a similar layout. If a prop is not an issue, those are good options. That boat towed tubes like a boss, and 190hp on a prop is no comparison to a similarly powered jet. The torque out of the hole is amazing. This is the reason we have to have so much more hp to perform the same. My 240hp jet would out run it on top, but it had nowhere near the power out of the hole.

As stated above, if you want to do your own maintenance, and get more space for your buck, then a jet is a better choice. Your choices in this region for new will revolve around prop boats either I/O or V-drive/Inboard. You can travel to Bismarck or the Metro if you care to shop yamaha Jet.

PM me for my cell number. I am always in the mood to show off our boat. The weather will be hit or miss this weekend, but that is what a bimini or the canopy over the lift is for!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in a non-supercharged 19ft. My typical load is similar to yours. Usually 2 adults 2-3 kids, sometimes 4 adults 3-4 kids, and rarely 6-8 adults. 6 adults is fine, 8 adults is cramped for space. 4 adults and 2 kids, and 2 teenagers was sneaking up on crowded. Even with 8 full size adults getting on plane is no problem at all. Top speed was down to 37 or so from 43 with a light load. Overall storage has never been a problem, as we have never filled every compartment. I think you have to bring absurd amounts of "stuff" to get this boats storage areas really filled up. My intention is to keep this boat until the normal load breaks 6. Basically once it's my wife and I, the two boys (currently 6 and 2mo), and two friends on a regular basis we'll look at a bigger boat. Until then, this one is plenty big for us. Keep in mind a bigger boat incurs more ancillary costs (fuel mileage on the tow goes down, storage fees go up, etc) beyond purchase. We keep our 190 in a relatively small garage, and it tows with a relatively small SUV. I think one guy is towing his 19ft with a minivan. Going to a 21 or 24ft adds to those considerations a bit, and should not be overlooked.

I'm on the fence about power in this boat. I don't ever feel like I don't have enough power to get on plane, get a skier out of the water, or otherwise "do" anything. I would have liked a bit more top speed, or at least more consistent top speed with load variations. Buddies 24ft Tri-Toon with a 150 runs 35 with 10 adults aboard, and 37 with just him. It's not fast, but it's very consistent which is nice. I would appreciate the ability to run 40 on a regular occasion, which has my current setup at WOT, where a supercharged boat wouldn't be worked quite so hard. Although I'm not sure that I've seen any ill effects from that WOT running yet.

Watersports are great for me in this boat. Plenty of power to yank me and my buddies out of a deep water start on a wakeboard/skate. I'm sure there is plenty of power to ride a foil whenever I get one (Oh, I will get one). Tubing is not a problem either in terms of power. I've had some cavitation issues that I've tried to resolve with some mods (L13 Cone, pump sealing), but I think I might just be asking too much of the jet drive itself. When there is some weight in the tube it's no problem at all, when it's two 6yr old boys, I have to work pretty hard to get them outside the wake.

I bought a jet because of layout and simplicity of powertrain. Had an I/O before and disliked the special tools needed to work on the lower unit myself, and I've not found a local dealership for I/Os that doesn't have a multi-week backlog year round. The safety of a jet is a psychological effect in my opinion. I've cut my foot on the keel of a jet and the prop of a boat the same number of times in my 30+ years of boating. Once each. You know a prop exists so you are consciously aware of it and stay away (like a chainsaw). The simplicity of the driveline is worth it alone. I didn't have to "winterize" this year. Just drained as much water as I could and stuffed it in the garage. No outdrive to mess with and all that mechanical doodadery to make that work (bellows, impellers, trim cylinders and pumps, etc). Speaking of trim, no trim to deal with when launching/retrieving, you'll never leave the outdrive down and drag it up the ramp!

Get a boat with a tower. Even if you don't do watersports. It's a cleaner look, and easier to deal with the bimini when not deployed. Helps resale value a little (if not value then at least time on market is reduced). Also keeps the anchor light up and off the fiberglass. Makes a great place to hang a fender, as well as something to hold onto at the dock without stooping down. Lots of little things make the tower a nice to have that is worth it even if you don't do water sports at all.

IMO, if you want to surf, these are not the boats to get. They all require adding ballast, and various other products to get the wave shaped nicely and be large enough. A dedicated wake boat is where it's at for surfing without throwing extra ballast bags all over the place. In the $30k range that will be tough though. That a somewhat specialized sport, and requires the right equipment or a good deal of mods to get there.

Overall.........and I say this alot when asked the question about what boat someone should get........Go sit on as many different boats as you can. No two of them are going to be the same. The boat show is a great place to start. Spend a day there. Take notes. Take time to crawl all over the things. Go home, drink a beer, and reflect on the day. Then pick the one you dream about that night, or the one you like the best. None of us can tell you what you LIKE. We can tell you what works and what doesn't for our situation, but it's all just conjecture.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Overall.........and I say this alot when asked the question about what boat someone should get........Go sit on as many different boats as you can.
I love this quote. Keep in mind.... Dealer boat shows are in the Winter, go pay to get pitched. Owner boat shows are in the summer, go listen to what owners like or dislike. Of course they will all be heavily biased like we are.

In our area, go to any bar with a dock, and go walk the dock. Talk to owners as we all love to talk about our boats. Many will let you come aboard and check them out, some may offer a ride. We love pulling up to Zorbaz, ordering some food and eating in our boat. The conversations are endless. Sorry you don't have a boat now, as getting to a sandbar and walking around, you really get to see the boat show. I think I fell in love with my first 242LS on a sandbar!

Good luck!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you have any questions about the storage capacity of a Yamaha, watch this. ...it is a 19 footer!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Leo is the man! Those chairs and tables were impressive! As well as the grill.