• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help with 2005 Toyota Sienna thermostat not opening

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE, 192K miles.

Recently I noticed the coolant reservoir was empty and I refilled it. I day later half had disappeared. I looked closer and found my water inlet fitting had the clamp on to tight and it crushed the flange causing a leak.

#13 here
http://toyotapartsestore.com/2005-toyota-sienna-xle-gas_3.3_v_6-transaxle_automatic_trans_speeds-engine-engine_parts-8530040/

upload_2017-3-29_20-43-21.png

I ordered a new one and installed it today following these great instructions,
http://www.shareyourrepair.com/2014/12/how-to-replace-thermostat-on-2004-2006-toyota-sienna.html

Everything went great except when I disconnect the inlet wiring harness (step 8A in the link above)

Half of the clamp broke when I took it off. When I reinstalled it I just kind of shoved it on there not really understanding what it's function was but it definitely had a wire or something connected because it stayed around and didn't fall to the bottom.

I put everything back together, ran it around the block, it runs with no leaks but the engine became very hot, all the way to the red about the time I turned it off.

Both of the radiator hoses were cool to the touch leading me to believe the thermostat isn't opening.

Any idea what that wire harness does? I looked over the internet but couldn't find anything I thought the thermostat worked independently.

It will take me about an hour to disassemble everything to get a better look at it again.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's likely just a temp sensor. Not causing your issue now.

Blind guess without seeing it - you have an air pocket in the cooling system. Google around to see if there are any tricks to "bleed" the coolant system on that particular model. I use a vacuum filler, makes life easy but likely not worth the cost if you aren't doing it every day. Before that, I used to pull a coolant sensor out on the back side of the head and fill until coolant started coming out that hole. Same basic principle you'll be doing - you just need to open something at the highest point while filling.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @veedubtek
I bought this 35. Funnel with radiator adapter

Got a couple good burps and it took about 2 more qts of coolant and works great now

20170330_151635.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad to hear it!