• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help with a motor issue

Jhicks401

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 2002 sugar sand boat won’t go in neutral. Any suggestions as to why? It just stalls

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does it have shifter and a throttle lever? If just one putting it in neutral will move the bucket down and lower the throttle so the issue could be with fuel delivery in idle rpms.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
My 2002 sugar sand boat won’t go in neutral. Any suggestions as to why? It just stalls
Need more info. I'm assuming it starts in neutral? Or are you pulling out the throttle warm-up button and starting it above idle, then pulling it back to neutral? Does it stall on the hose too, or only in the water (under a load)? Warm? Cold? Have you checked the timing/throttle adjustments against the OEM manual? The more specific you can be, the more clues provided to help diagnose. BTW, I read elsewhere you have a Mirage. They've since added that selection to the menu so your profile can be updated if you wish. (Thanks, moderators!)

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Need more info. I'm assuming it starts in neutral? Or are you pulling out the throttle warm-up button and starting it above idle, then pulling it back to neutral? Does it stall on the hose too, or only in the water (under a load)? Warm? Cold? Have you checked the timing/throttle adjustments against the OEM manual? The more specific you can be, the more clues provided to help diagnose. BTW, I read elsewhere you have a Mirage. They've since added that selection to the menu so your profile can be updated if you wish. (Thanks, moderators!)
I'm thinking this one is fixed. His original post was a week ago.

Jhicks401

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi, thank you for your reply. To start the boat, we have to pull the knob out and push the throttle forward to start. It is left in neutral to keep it running. When pulled back to neutral position it stalls. It will not start in neutral position. We changed the spark plugs and fuel filter, the boat will stay running as long as we are in forward on the throttle. The water is cold temp. When done on the hose it’s the same thing. Is it an adjustment? Any tips are helpful.
Boat is sluggish on takeoff

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This statement below was posted by @4x15mph on another thread trying to help someone out with their throttle issue, although it was a different issue. Maybe you could look into adjusting your throttles just to see if it helps?

1) for the throttles, you can remove the assembly and there are allen bolts that tighten up each throttle. I removed them and put some semi-permanent (blue) thread locker before tightening down. I also added some velcro (loop side) on the underneath of the plastic cover that goes over the throttle assembly before tightening that down. It helps so that the throttles don't slip

Jhicks401

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are very helpful! Thank you!
Another question...why is the boat sluggish on take off and then the boat takes forever to plane? We have noticed the trim plate has been lowered 2 inches. Not sure if previous owners did that for wake boarding to create a bigger wake or it comes that way? Any suggestions?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jhicks401 - You say you have to pull the knob out... Are you talking about the Choke? Is your throttle a single lever with neutral being in the middle? If so, you may need to adjust your idle setting and RPM's in neutral might be in the 1200/1300 rpm but you will need to refer to a manual.

Jhicks401

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes it’s a single throttle. Thank you for your help

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
The problems with your shifter could be related to the sluggish performance, in neutral the reverse bucket should be roughly 1/2 way over the nozzle and when you shift to forward it must completely clear the jet stream or performance is going to be affected.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Another question...why is the boat sluggish on take off and then the boat takes forever to plane? We have noticed the trim plate has been lowered 2 inches. Not sure if previous owners did that for wake boarding to create a bigger wake or it comes that way? Any suggestions?
From the clues provided I'm quite certain your problem is engine performance, not the shifter. Does it stall while out of the water running on the flushing adapter, or only in the water?
When going from idle to WOT, this boat should push you back in the seat and come on plane VERY quickly. It should do a minimum of 40+ mph. The tach reading at WOT must be 5000-5500. As said elsewhere - a tach is diagnostic in a jet; too high means a slipping jet drive, too low means poor engine performance. The trim plate has been messed with.
BTW, I'm a firm believer in Sea Foam - many first-hand accounts of it remedying carburetion issues. It wouldn't hurt to run a tank thru. 1 oz. per gallon of fuel.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
From the clues provided I'm quite certain your problem is engine performance, not the shifter.
To clarify – the “shifter” in this application performs only two functions: control the throttle and raise or lower the Split Reverse Bucket (SRB) or “reverse gate” if you will. The engine is always connected to the impeller through a set of bevel gears in the drive. As long as the engine is running, the jet is producing forward thrust. In “neutral”, the SRB covers about ¾ of the jet outlet and directs it forward to counteract the forward thrust of the uncovered portion, thus keeping the boat from moving in either direction (more or less). The “warm-up button” you pull out only allows you to start and run the engine above idle without raising or lowering the SRB from its neutral position.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I know this is from last year, but I am curious what fixed your problem.
I have the same problem getting the boat to plane, right now it bounces A LOT!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When was the last time you had your carburetor cleaned? I found with varying quality of fuels and ethanol, I was replacing carbs every 3 years on my carburated boat, just too painful to repair correctly and the price was OK ($200 on my rotax engine vs $75 and several hours to rebuild, with low success rate for myself) I think your engine has 3 carbs total, so may not be economical to just replace, but I bet even cleaning would go a long way. What does your fuel filtration look like? Do you have Spin on fuel filter/water separator? These help prolong carb life. When the low speed circuit on the carb is plugged these symptoms you are reporting are common. Your powerhead is somewhat common, so many shops may be willing to rebuild your carb, or you could buy a kit and do it yourself.

Best of Luck!!!

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
All three were cleaned about 3 weeks ago. Engine RPM performance did improve but getting to plane is still the problem.