• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need input please buying 252se or 255xe

Riviotta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Need help choosing. If you are an owner of either a 252se or a 255xe I’d love to know why you bought either
Family of 5 want to towing ski wake board

like 252se storage capabilities but fear it will be under powered

255xe like the appearance package and like the idea of supercharger

please provide thoughts on better option I don’t want to regret the purchase

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Are you hanging out more or towing more? That's about it.

Each boat offers many features the others don't, and that question will answer your question.

In regards to power, the 252 does not lack it by any means.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Need help choosing. If you are an owner of either a 252se or a 255xe I’d love to know why you bought either

252 = 87 octane fuel, 255 = premium fuel. Seeing as how $100bbl oil is on the horizon, not sure if that makes a difference to you or not.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
252 = 87 octane fuel, 255 = premium fuel. Seeing as how $100bbl oil is on the horizon, not sure if that makes a difference to you or not.
At 100k for a boat, I doubt he cares lol but good point. The SC also require more maintenance.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
252SE owner here. We chose it because we're not into wakesurfing (at least not yet, our kids are still a little too young) and like you said the storage capabilities are significantly higher. We also like the swim up seating, which you lose on the 255XE. I think the 252SE has plenty of power; we can hit high-40s but rarely have any need to go that fast, we're typically running <30 mph. Plus, the supercharged engines take premium gas vs regular gas on the NAs (I do use non-ethanol since I have easy access to it, but it's not required). The styling of the 255XE's is a little more hip and modern, which is kind of cool, whereas the 252SE is more subdued but still classy.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
At 100k for a boat, I doubt he cares lol but good point. The SC also require more maintenance.
I dunno, I paid ~53k for mine, but fuel costs were part of my budget.

Riviotta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Definitely a good point on fuel not my biggest concern at this point

Riviotta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
252SE owner here. We chose it because we're not into wakesurfing (at least not yet, our kids are still a little too young) and like you said the storage capabilities are significantly higher. We also like the swim up seating, which you lose on the 255XE. I think the 252SE has plenty of power; we can hit high-40s but rarely have any need to go that fast, we're typically running <30 mph. Plus, the supercharged engines take premium gas vs regular gas on the NAs (I do use non-ethanol since I have easy access to it, but it's not required). The styling of the 255XE's is a little more hip and modern, which is kind of cool, whereas the 252SE is more subdued but still classy.
You’re rights 252 does look a little classier. We have 3 pre teens I feel we would grow into wake surfing

the power thing on the 252se just has me concerned. Are you mostly a small lake person or have to taken your boat out into rougher waters

are you wishing or wanting any other features since you purchased

Riviotta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Are you hanging out more or towing more? That's about it.

Each boat offers many features the others don't, and that question will answer your question.

In regards to power, the 252 does not lack it by any means.
intent would be to go out andenjoy tubing ski wakeboard ect but at times relax and float for sure so maybe 50 50 or 6040

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
We just got a 255XE coming from a 242XE. Only had it out once so far so I'm not really in a position to give a full opinion. Here is what I have noticed so far. With the 242 same engines as the 252 I think. Most of the time I felt it had plenty of power but there were a few times with enough weight on the boat it felt a little sluggish out of the hole. Having said that it's still faster up to speed and on plane than any prop boat I have been in. I've only had 4 people on the new one but that 255xe is quick. The power is impressive with those SHVO engines. Having the auto deploy of the wake wedge is nice too and one less thing to carry in the boat. Either one will make a nice boat for you.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You’re rights 252 does look a little classier. We have 3 pre teens I feel we would grow into wake surfing

the power thing on the 252se just has me concerned. Are you mostly a small lake person or have to taken your boat out into rougher waters

We're in inland NC. So far only lakes though we'll take it to the coast eventually.

For me personally, there really aren't any features I wish it had that it doesn't. Power hasn't been an issue, boat will easily go high 40s and my wife and kids don't like going over about 40. Our usual cruising speed is mid-to-high 20s.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

I will say I’ve been in some pretty good chop (Gulf of Mexico) in the 252 and it handles great. I always get compliments on how well it rides.

Riviotta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
We just got a 255XE coming from a 242XE. Only had it out once so far so I'm not really in a position to give a full opinion. Here is what I have noticed so far. With the 242 same engines as the 252 I think. Most of the time I felt it had plenty of power but there were a few times with enough weight on the boat it felt a little sluggish out of the hole. Having said that it's still faster up to speed and on plane than any prop boat I have been in. I've only had 4 people on the new one but that 255xe is quick. The power is impressive with those SHVO engines. Having the auto deploy of the wake wedge is nice too and one less thing to carry in the boat. Either one will make a nice boat for you.
Thank you for taking the time to reply congratulations on the new boat keep us updated!

nosterka

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length

Do you mean the 255 XD or 252 XE? The XD has the supercharged engines and auto deploy wake booster, where as the XE seems to be entry level wake, same engines as the SE, and ballast. Anyways I did consider the wake series but didn’t like giving up storage space for ballast. We wanted an all around boat and not a huge wake or ski family so we ended up with a 252SD. It will do all that we need and we cruise around high 20s low 30s and top out 42/43, which is plenty for us. As a do it all boat it works, but if you really are looking for a specific boat to fit a need might not be the best. The Yamaha may make a good wake but will probably never match what a dedicated wake boat can do.

nosterka

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Never mind I did not realize they had a 255XE as well, did not catch that before.

Riviotta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Do you mean the 255 XD or 252 XE? The XD has the supercharged engines and auto deploy wake booster, where as the XE seems to be entry level wake, same engines as the SE, and ballast. Anyways I did consider the wake series but didn’t like giving up storage space for ballast. We wanted an all around boat and not a huge wake or ski family so we ended up with a 252SD. It will do all that we need and we cruise around high 20s low 30s and top out 42/43, which is plenty for us. As a do it all boat it works, but if you really are looking for a specific boat to fit a need might not be the best. The Yamaha may make a good wake but will probably never match what a dedicated wake boat can do.
Dedicated wake is not necessary the D drive mode is also not necessary. I think on paper I see 360 and 500hp. I just don’t want to feel under powered if we have a full boat

Shipbuilder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was thinking that I wanted a 255 XD but found out yesterday that they don't sell them in California so now the choice is 252 SE , 252 XE, or go used on a 242 limited S or E. I was definitely willing to go $95 - $100 for the extra horsepower but if the horsepower is not available I am leaning towards used.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If your worried about ride go with 252 over 242, completely new design, and I’ve heard the 25 rides significantly better. If your thinking 255used……. Hope your ready to wait a few years lol.

lowd77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I've had 10 people on my 252sd and pulls wakeboarders and tubers no problem. Didn't have much of an interest in surfing so it was an easy choice for me. If you even think you may want to do surfing in the future get the X boat.