• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need recommendation on VHF Radio.... Bimini in mind

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would like some recommendations on a medium level VHF in prep for Bimini 2019.

Right now I have a Uniden UM380 and a Cobra MRF45D in my cart on Amazon. I know next to nothing about these...

I have a couple assumptions.
1. I am connecting to 8' antenna mounted towards the top of the tower
2. I need an external speaker or headset
3. It will get wet, a LOT

Am I on the right path or am I scimping tooooo much?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went with the Standard Horizon GX1700. It's not significantly more expensive than the models you're looking at, but has built in GPS which can automate a distress call should the need arise. You can get an external speaker to go along with it. Mine's installed under the dash, it's never seen a drop of water, though it is waterproof.

Tim Chies

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sean - where did you mount the antennae mast - I just bought the same unit and an 8' mast. Wondering about running the cable I have a 2018 242 Limited. Hows the leg room?

Thanks

Tim
twchies@gmail.com

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I havent installed my antenna yet, but I'm gonna run it towards aft of boat. Will have a ratchet bracket so I can loosen and lower for bridges that might have clearance issues.

If you ever do run from pinnopolus locks to chsrleston or the other way will most likely have to lower it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the Standard Horizon GX1700 for the 2017 crossing. It took a lot of biting and the only complain I have about it is that the screen is too small to try to navigate with it.

I had a 8 foot antenna ( $40) which I mounted on the rail behind the captains chair ( see pictures).
Trim Tabs & fixed radio with 8 foot antenna were my favorite mods for the crossing.

on my next crossing ( probably 2020), I am planing on upgrading to a top of the line 8 foot antenna (~$200) with fixed radio that can connect to my chart plotter. My next crossing will cost me $2,000+ in electronics.

Note: on my return and inside the channels I hit a bridge with my antenna. I had a very loose fitting with a zip tie on the very top and it just got a bit scratched. Oversize it was fine.

Attachments

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sean - where did you mount the antennae mast - I just bought the same unit and an 8' mast. Wondering about running the cable I have a 2018 242 Limited. Hows the leg room?

Thanks

Tim
twchies@gmail.com
Legroom is fine, I don't sit and drive all that much, but have never knocked my knee on it. I followed the very good instructions that @Mainah generated: https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-trip-down-the-vhf-antenna-rabbit-hole.16678/

Here's a photo of my install: