• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Neutral is not Neutral in 2019+ Boats

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3 years ago my wife and I purchased a 2019 190 with directional reverse buckets. During trailering, I go get the trailer and my wife trailers the boat. This is usually the only time she drives the boat, which has been a little hard on the learning curve for this boat. After go through many calm discussions :D we came up with the theory of the issue. One thing really hard to get is that neutral is not neutral and has a direction with the 2019+ buckets. I believe you should consider that the boat is being steered by thrust in neutral because the reverse portion of the thrust has an additional direction to it and that the forward thrust does not. I also think this thrust is in opposition to your anticipated steering. So even with fins, you can't get a small speed up and put it into neutral and simply steer with the "rudder" the last few feet. It is much better to leave in idle and short burst into reverse for any slowing and adjustments needed. I know the short burst is standard procedure to slow speed jet boat steering, but thrust steering in neutral is not usually anticipated. Thoughts?

When I saw Lateral Thrusters 2.0 and the redesign of the TVs, I thought that this would accentuate the steering effect in neutral and something that people coming from other boat types really need to understand. I also think that the current fins block the lateral reverse thrust so that increases the rudder effect when in neutral.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found that adjusting the bucket got me to a true neutral (very very close). But… I actually had to cut the rod to get a bit more adjustment up. My boat had always pulled in reverse quite strongly from the factory setup and Made steering hard docking as the reverse thrust kept pulling the back left / right… I measured the gap and reviewed the shop manual and my bucket wasn’t really close to spec. After the adjustment, now the boat tracks fairly straight even in neutral I can affect the outcome using mostly rudder. The bump in and out of neutral definitely controls he steering in docking the best.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think it's a 2019 issue. This is a jet boat trait for the most part. Because direction is controlled by mechanical redirection of thrust and not by reversing rotation of a screw, it just kind of is what it is.

@haknslash wrote an exceptional post on how to use NWM and TDE to maintain control around the dock. I adopted that practice and dock like a champ now, it's not a silver bullet for realigning your thought process to drive a jet vs a car, but it's a damn fine start.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent thoughts and references and I do recommend the new boater read it. I guess I wanted to emphasize that in steering in neutral is not recommended especially for the 2019+. Not only is not as effective but actually might be counter to what you would expect. For instance, you are steering to over come wind as you approach the trailer in NWM and you want to glide in while still steering. When you go into neutral your rear end drifts the opposite to the expected direction. While turning in neutral your AK and resultant jet thrust actually fight each other. If you are going fast enough the AK and fins easily win the battle.

I my wife's case it was a downward spiral. She lost confidence so she would go slower making steering less predictable. So I convince her to stay out of neutral, come in hotter and not worry about it as much, which worked. Our other challenge, definitely not unique to 2019+, was hitting the reverse too softly. I had to convince her to really hit the reverse hard if she wanted to stop.

She has it now, but we spent a lot of years and hours boating with an I/O and breaking old habits are hard when you don't do it more. We will both be retired next summer so we should get much more practice.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't think it's a 2019 issue. This is a jet boat trait for the most part. Because direction is controlled by mechanical redirection of thrust and not by reversing rotation of a screw, it just kind of is what it is.

@haknslash wrote an exceptional post on how to use NWM and TDE to maintain control around the dock. I adopted that practice and dock like a champ now, it's not a silver bullet for realigning your thought process to drive a jet vs a car, but it's a damn fine start.

I believe you are a Mech E, can you draw up a force vector diagram. ;)