• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 165 Owner in Orillia

Sharked

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hello,

I just bought a 2019 165G, from a friend who is moving it had only 17 hours use and is in like new condition. I paid $25,000 for it, when I called the Scarab dealers they were quoting me mid $30's for a 2021 165G so I think I got a good deal? Is that a fair price for this model?

After doing some googling I have come across many posts about poor build quality of Scarab and engines issues with this model, so I am afraid now that I may have bought a model that has known issues. My friend had nothing but good things to say about this boat, he loved it, and had no issues. However I know next to nothing about Scarab boats, was just looking for something to spend afternoons on the lake with the wife.

The last boat I owned was over 10 years ago and was a traditional stern drive boat kept in a marina, so the smaller boat and using a trailer is all new to me!.

I am located in Orillia, Ontario so this would be used on Lake Simcoe and Lake Couchiching.

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
25k for a 150HP 165, yeah, I'd say that's pretty standard in Ontario with that many hours. I paid almost the same with 21h on it when I got mine in 2017 (2015 model).

Don't worry about reading of horror stories. It's not that they don't happen, but like anything on the internet, people come to complain when they have a problem, not when things go well. My 165 now has over 200 hours and the engine has been fantastic. Obviously boats require maintenance... ALL brands do. Things wear out, more vibrations than a car, etc. So you have to keep on top of this to have a good experience. Ignorance is not an excuse. You need to read and learn about your boat. Read the Scarab Manual, read the Rotax manuals, etc. You'll learn a lot.

This forum is great for help.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me any time. I'm in Ottawa, 165 150HP owner as well. I do all my own maintenance. I can probably help you on a lot of stuff as you learn. If you want faster back and forth, Facebook Messenger: Luc Lafrenière

Sharked

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi Luc, I have read some of your posts and seems like I have lots to learn about these boats, I am a computer guy by trade so engines are not really my comfort zone!

I am going to take it out this weekend and get my feet wet so to speak, I do know I want to add some kind of chart/fishfinder screen but other then that I have no idea yet of what I need!

I used to do quite a bit of ATV's with friends and would always keep tools on the bike in case of issues, even if I wasn't the one doing the fixing at least I had everything there.

With this boat, I am afraid of being out in the middle of the lake and having engine issues?
Do you have a list of tools that you keep on the boat? wrench/socket sizes for example? or other common spare parts?

My buddy has not found the owners manual yet to give me so I need to figure out what oil and other fluids I need to keep as well.

My other worry is with sucking up something, how careful do I have to be? Can I go in the shallow water? or beach the boat to get out? My last boat over 10 years ago was a stern drive, so I would just raise it up so its barely in the water and push the bow into the beach.

25k for a 150HP 165, yeah, I'd say that's pretty standard in Ontario with that many hours. I paid almost the same with 21h on it when I got mine in 2017 (2015 model).

Don't worry about reading of horror stories. It's not that they don't happen, but like anything on the internet, people come to complain when they have a problem, not when things go well. My 165 now has over 200 hours and the engine has been fantastic. Obviously boats require maintenance... ALL brands do. Things wear out, more vibrations than a car, etc. So you have to keep on top of this to have a good experience. Ignorance is not an excuse. You need to read and learn about your boat. Read the Scarab Manual, read the Rotax manuals, etc. You'll learn a lot.

This forum is great for help.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me any time. I'm in Ottawa, 165 150HP owner as well. I do all my own maintenance. I can probably help you on a lot of stuff as you learn. If you want faster back and forth, Facebook Messenger: Luc Lafrenière

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Check your PMs.

I'm also a computer guy... kind of. Learn a lot over the years. These things are mostly pretty simple to maintain. You'll learn. Just make sure to try :)

For shallow water, it all depends on the type of bottom. Little sticks, be careful. Little pebbles, be careful. Berock, usually not an issue. Sand/mud, usually not an issue. I bought this boat because I needed a shallow draft. I regularly idle across about 2ft of water (sometimes less). It's not recommended but doable in my parts. They recommend 3ft or more to run the engine.

Sharked

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
My 1st trip out on the 165 was successful, the reverse steering takes some getting used to as does having very little steering control when entering a docks at the lowest possible speed. I found if I sped up I had much better steering control around other boats, but was getting some angry looks as I appeared to be going faster then everyone else!

It was a very expensive day however, as I was doing a few higher speed circles, my spouses iphone went flying off the little tray behind the steering wheel over the side and down to the bottom of the lake!

For other 165 owners, where do you keep your important things such as car keys, wallet, phones, etc?

There seems to be very little dry storage on this boat?
Even my ATV has a little drybox built in that is great for keeping phone and car keys, wallet. Disappointed that Scarab didn't think about where the boat operator is supposed to keep his things dry and safe!

I was looking at the larger lockers, but I would need to get a bag or something as I can't just put a phone in there loose, and even those lockers seems to have water on the bottom, so I don't think they are 100% watertight anyhow?

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Ouch! lol That sucks. I have a phone mount personally. But I also own the older style of 165 that has a closing lid in front of the driver. So I don't have that issue.

Yes, steering is directly related to power. BUT, you get the benefit of being to change angles in neutral, which you can't do in any other boat without side thrusters. It will take some practice but you won't need to power up as you go through marinas.

Agreed on dry storage. I have a dry bag to keep such things. The best dry storage we have is inside the engine bay. Basket especially. Otherwise, I recommend dry bags. None of the lockers are dry. So yeah, don't trust them for watertight storage. Dry containers are a must in my opinion. Agreed, it wouldhave been nice to have at least one spot that's kept dry and sealed.

Glad you had a reasonably successful first outing (minus the phone). Maybe this will happen to you: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cell-phone-recovered-from-harrison-lake-1.5937753

Sharked

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The previous owner has a phone mount added as well, however that's where I put my phone, the other 3 phones ended up in the tray above the steering wheel, and the phone on top slid off and over the side. Seems like a very stupid design for that spot, the sides should be closed in so that space is secure and nothing can fall overboard!

Ouch! lol That sucks. I have a phone mount personally. But I also own the older style of 165 that has a closing lid in front of the driver. So I don't have that issue.

Yes, steering is directly related to power. BUT, you get the benefit of being to change angles in neutral, which you can't do in any other boat without side thrusters. It will take some practice but you won't need to power up as you go through marinas.

Agreed on dry storage. I have a dry bag to keep such things. The best dry storage we have is inside the engine bay. Basket especially. Otherwise, I recommend dry bags. None of the lockers are dry. So yeah, don't trust them for watertight storage. Dry containers are a must in my opinion. Agreed, it wouldhave been nice to have at least one spot that's kept dry and sealed.

Glad you had a reasonably successful first outing (minus the phone). Maybe this will happen to you: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cell-phone-recovered-from-harrison-lake-1.5937753

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Agreed. That's why I'm happy with my design. Closed off. lol

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
When you are going slow and need to turn fast, turn your steering wheel full, and give a bit of a blast on the throttle. You'll find that boat will turn much more than it goes forwards.