• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New '17 24-x Battery Drain

b-rad g

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Seems like lots of great folks here full of knowledge.

I picked up a brand new 2017 Yamaha 242-x in April.
I've had nothing but disappointment and problems ever since.
The start battery is regularly depleted to a point where it shows negative polarity.

The dealer can't find a problem - they want to finger me as not setting the switches correctly.
for the record - I always remove the key from the boat and set the start battery off.

I keep the boat in a well fully covered. I've tried leaving the house battery on and laving the house battery off.
I can't seem to get a straight answer which is correct. But - I have not had any problems with the house battery. I don't really see how that can drain my start batter - and I can't imagine the boat is getting that much water.

As it so happens the boat sometimes sites for 1 or 2 weeks without being used.

I would hope that a brand new boat would not need a battery charge after 2 weeks.

I have two solar chargers on the tower.

Any suggestions what to check - the dealer has had the boat back and says they can't seem to find a problem. they are really kind of saying it's me not turning the switch off.

Frustrated & disappointed.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems like lots of great folks here full of knowledge.

I picked up a brand new 2017 Yamaha 242-x in April.
I've had nothing but disappointment and problems ever since.
The start battery is regularly depleted to a point where it shows negative polarity.

The dealer can't find a problem - they want to finger me as not setting the switches correctly.
for the record - I always remove the key from the boat and set the start battery off.

I keep the boat in a well fully covered. I've tried leaving the house battery on and laving the house battery off.
I can't seem to get a straight answer which is correct. But - I have not had any problems with the house battery. I don't really see how that can drain my start batter - and I can't imagine the boat is getting that much water.

As it so happens the boat sometimes sites for 1 or 2 weeks without being used.

I would hope that a brand new boat would not need a battery charge after 2 weeks.

I have two solar chargers on the tower.

Any suggestions what to check - the dealer has had the boat back and says they can't seem to find a problem. they are really kind of saying it's me not turning the switch off.

Frustrated & disappointed.
upload_2018-7-9_12-24-50.jpeg

Are you sure this is connected? I know that I’ve read this has been overlooked by dealers in the past.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Please post if you find a solution

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The voltage on the context screen only reads from one battery that's the first thing to sort out even though the voltage reads slightly different it could be do to voltage drop on the wires and gauge calibration if there is any

link below describing what the voltage reading is on the connext screen

Buy new batteries when they run that low they usually have issues

what type of battery charger and how is it hooked up ?

Get a volt meter so you can read the voltage at each battery you are getting some type of parasitic draw with the volt meter you can see if its from the house battery or starter circuit do not combine the batteries

Change the bilge pump to a float type the one in the boat will run every few minutes sensing for water

Last edited:

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, I thought the bilge runs from the house battery, not Start? I don't think the bilge would cause the start battery to drain...

You say you bought a 2017, new, in April, 2019? Any chance the batteries were installed and sat for 2+ years at a low start of charge? You didn't list your location, but low temps with low SOC (state of charge) will kill lead acid batteries in a hurry.