• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New '20 AR240 owner - ideas for mods?

Karma_Train

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around the forums for years and finally pulled the trigger on a new 2020 AR 240 at the MN boat show in January. Now that ice is out I'm about to take possession and I've got a couple of mods planned right away but wanted to pick your brain to see if there's anything else obvious I should do right away.
Here's what's already bought and pending install:
  • Cobra Jet Steering w/Fangs (Thanks @Cobra Jet Steering LLC !!)
  • Thetford porta-potti for the head compartment (we'll have 2 kids aboard) w/industrial velcro hold downs
  • Opt7-Aura light kit
  • 4WG power run from house switch to helm fuse block from bluesea. Initially powering the opt7's but room for expansion
  • Wake tower flag holder from Tower Flags
  • GoPro large tube mount for the tower - hoping to mount a Hero7 on a Karma grip

I'm planning on a few of the head compartment storage mods floating around the forums as well but haven't picked up any materials yet. I'm holding off on an amp and speaker purchase install for now - I'll likely upgrade the stock speakers to JL's and add a JL amp with a dedicated power run later on. Also holding off on wakeboard racks for now - once the kids are a little older we'll pull that trigger.

Any essentials I'm missing? Other useful/fun mods I should consider? I'm coming from a 19' Larson so I have an existing anchor, fenders, lines, etc. I'm a little iffy on my current anchor but my use case is all inland lake boating on a large chain of lakes so I'm not going to immediately move to a larger anchor.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Love the Karma idea. What about chart plotter. I currently use my phone with Navionics app but thinking of a 5 or 7 inch plotter. Super needed for inland boating? No. Fun? YES!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I bought a danforth anchor to put in the anchor well, it was too small, so because I needed another anchor, I purchased a box style anchor. Will be testing that out soon. You may consider some stretchy dock lines - I've got four of these and they work really slick when docking for an hour at a restaurant. Another hack I found was go to your local big box hardware store and look for land anchors. Buy the tallest ones you can get and you can use those to screw into the sand at a sandbar and run your stretchy dock lines to them. Nice, easy way to keep the boat secured, and cheaper than the $100 per anchor kits on Amazon.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! I approve of the lists of mods so far. I've got a 2016 AR240 myself and gets a few mods to consider.
I'm sure I'll think of more...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You didn’t say how old the kiddos are, but one of my favorites is the permanently mounted 12v high volume air inflator for blowing up the tube and floating island. Every time we stop for lunch we blow up the island and kick the kids off the boat while we prep the food.

I also have a trash can mounted inside the door above the toilet paper roll. It’s on the small side for paper plates and Gatorade bottles, but works great for snack wrappers, etc.

In another week or so, I’ll be adding usb charging ports in the bow for phones.

Lastly, take a good look at your existing fenders. When I moved up from my 19’ I/O, I found that these boats are much taller and my fenders were dinky. Ended up getting all new ones.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You didn’t say how old the kiddos are, but one of my favorites is the permanently mounted 12v high volume air inflator for blowing up the tube and floating island. Every time we stop for lunch we blow up the island and kick the kids off the boat while we prep the food.

I also have a trash can mounted inside the door above the toilet paper roll. It’s on the small side for paper plates and Gatorade bottles, but works great for snack wrappers, etc.

Lastly, take a good look at your existing fenders. When I moved up from my 19’ I/O, I found that these boats are much taller and my fenders were dinky. Ended up getting all new ones.
what island do you have?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
what island do you have?
It’s the airhead gangplank. 6’x10’. Has zippers on all sides so multiple can be zipped together. Occasionally Amazon has great deals on them. I bought it from one of the “deals” announcements here and got it for around $60. Regular price might be more like $150

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

What and where did you mount the inflator?? You peaked my interest, I am tired of carrying around fully inflated toys, they take up too much room.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ll need to look for some pics, but the air pump itself is mounted inside the starboard rear wet storage hatch on the swim deck. Same location @Mainah used and has posted pics. The output port is on the swim deck in the same location other model boats mount the wash down sprayer, next to the rear speaker. I put a throughhull wash down port and attach the air hose to it. Then use some hose adapters and mount to the hose that came with the pump with all of the attachments.

I ran power from a toggle switch in the starboard storage compartment next to the engine bay. I keep the hose in there anyway. So just flip the cushion up, and get the hose and leave cushion up.

I keep the island in the rear compartment on the swim deck. I get it out, unfold and throw the end in the water, attach the hose and have one of the kids in the boat hit the switch. When done, kid shuts off switch, disconnect and put my hose back in under the seat.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ll need to look for some pics, but the air pump itself is mounted inside the starboard rear wet storage hatch on the swim deck. Same location @Mainah used and has posted pics. The output port is on the swim deck in the same location other model boats mount the wash down sprayer, next to the rear speaker. I put a throughhull wash down port and attach the air hose to it. Then use some hose adapters and mount to the hose that came with the pump with all of the attachments.

I ran power from a toggle switch in the starboard storage compartment next to the engine bay. I keep the hose in there anyway. So just flip the cushion up, and get the hose and leave cushion up.

I keep the island in the rear compartment on the swim deck. I get it out, unfold and throw the end in the water, attach the hose and have one of the kids in the boat hit the switch. When done, kid shuts off switch, disconnect and put my hose back in under the seat.
Found my write up with some pics.

Here’s pics of the switch that I didn’t put in the other post.

BDBB05EA-F002-48B2-9C40-C3507250F4F2.jpeg665BCEE4-49AD-49C9-97A4-DF47740C695C.jpegEC9967E6-E241-49ED-8E99-C10ABF003D5F.jpeg

Karma_Train

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love the Karma idea. What about chart plotter. I currently use my phone with Navionics app but thinking of a 5 or 7 inch plotter. Super needed for inland boating? No. Fun? YES!
I've been thinking a lot about a chart plotter but I wasn't sure if it was worth it considering the 2020 Connext has the GPS map and depth built in. Is it worthwhile?

Karma_Train

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Kiddos are 2 1/2 and 5 - we've got the advantage of a permanent lake "home base" with our cabin so most of our inflatables are stowed and towed from there. We have an existing island but usually don't bring it on the boat with us since it's one of those foam style jobs instead of an inflatable and pretty bulky as a result. Love the trash can idea and good call on the fenders - I'm going to hold on to my dinky ones but fished a larger 6x22" Taylor Made out of the lake last year and just bought another one to match - I'm hoping the bigger size should cover me.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been thinking a lot about a chart plotter but I wasn't sure if it was worth it considering the 2020 Connext has the GPS map and depth built in. Is it worthwhile?
Unless something has changed, for inland lakes... the built in nav is fine with one exception. If you’re using the breadcrumb trail to go to dinner (so you can follow your way back in the dark) as soon as you turn the key off... it loses the trail. So starting back up after dinner and it’s dark, your trail is gone. Super annoying on my ‘19. I’ll be using Navionics on a mini iPad for these occasions this year.

Other than that, I mostly know where I’m at on the lakes that I frequent and the gps is fine for a quick reference and depth.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Honestly I really dislike the built in nav unless the 2020 is different. It can only have north up rather than heading up, can't search by locations (restaurants, marinas), won't save breadcrumbs or locations.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Honestly I really dislike the built in nav unless the 2020 is different. It can only have north up rather than heading up, can't search by locations (restaurants, marinas), won't save breadcrumbs or locations.
2020 nav is also pretty useless. Might be nice to have on an unknown lake, but for actual navigational duties, nope. Reminds me of what auto navigation was when they first came out.