• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2004 SX230 owner. First boat few questions?

doodguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello,

I am the new owner of a 2004 SX230. I want to get this thing some TLC and get it fixed up.

1) What do you guys do with the boat if you have to work on the trailer? I need to replace the axles, brakes wheels etc on the trailer. Trailer body is great wheels and axles are junk.

2) I am pretty handy, and want to install a 2nd battery. Any tips on what kind of battery to get? Also tips on where to get the battery holder, which dial to get (don't know the name) that lets you turn from 1, 2, or both? I'm worried about drilling holes into the floor of where current battery is, but maybe self tapping screws are fine for battery holder?

3) I bought a 7" garming GPS/Fish finder. Where would be a good spot to mount this, and would it be a bad idea to mount the sensor myself? Do you typically run the wire drill a small hole and fill it with a marine grade caulk?

4) The previous owner installed a wakeboard tower, and had a custom top made for this. There are 2 parts to the top, a front before the windows and rear covering the windows back. Somehow he lost the front piece. It has snaps. I can't just find this somewhere my only option is to go custom right? First quote I got was $250. Working on other quotes.

Thanks all! I'm sure there's other questions. Will be working on this all weekend. Just want to get things together.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@doodguy here is my answer for your question 1 and 3

1) What do you guys do with the boat if you have to work on the trailer? Jack up the trailer and put blocks/jack stand under the frame. Here is a picture of my old boat when I was up dating the rims and doing brake work.
Trailer.jpg

3) I bought a 7" garming GPS/Fish finder. Where would be a good spot to mount this, and would it be a bad idea to mount the sensor myself? Do you typically run the wire drill a small hole and fill it with a marine grade caulk? Checkout this thread, https://jetboaters.net/threads/mounted-my-ray-marine-dragonfly-with-ram-mounts-today.1644/page-2#post-85504 . I'm still using the seasucker and ram mount on my new boat, fantastic setup.

doodguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length