• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New 2015 SX240 or new left over 2014 SX240?

seamew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Guys,
I'd like some forum device. I've honed my boat search down to a 240. I've been offered a great deal on a leftover 2014 SX240. However, I'm quite compelled by the upgrade/improved specs on the 2015 model year line mainly the signifficantly improved sound insulation, and active cockpit noise cancelling in the cockpit, which, from what I have read, makes an enormous difference. I also, like the prospect of a higher freeboard (6") and I really like the design of the new captains chairs to name a few.
However, between the heavy discount on the 2014 and the new increased pricing of the 2015, the difference is around $8,000. What would you do?

Go 2015. The differences are more significant than you know.
Cheap @ twice that $ difference.
Best Wishes and good luck ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

And welcome to YOUR new 'home' here ! Glad you joined us !

Welcome Aboard!

I prefer the 2015. I don't think I would want to take the hit to upgrade from a 2014 SX210 to a 2014 SX240.

Thank you, for your opinions thus far. I'm looking forward to more viewpoints on this!

Not my money but if in your shoes I would be be leaning towards the 15 for generational improvements that will be extremely nice to enjoy and IMO definitely matter when it comes to future resale value.

I also, like the prospect of a higher freeboard (6")

The 15' doesn't have 6" more of freeboard - the freeboard is the same. The 15' is 6" longer overall than the 14'. The 14' is 23' 6" - the 15' is 24'.

It's your money, only you can really answer this. But if it was me shopping - I'd take that 15' over the 14'.

Take the '15.

You must make the final decision, however for me it is a no-brainer. With ONLY $8000 difference, I would definitely go for the 2015. There are more differences than what meets the eye. Put the two boats side by side and then test drive them both. You will have your answer.

After you think you have your best deal ask them to throw in some extra's. deluxe boat cover and other items that dealers get at lower costs then you could buy comes to mind.

The 15' doesn't have 6" more of freeboard - the freeboard is the same. The 15' is 6" longer overall than the 14'. The 14' is 23' 6" - the 15' is 24'.

It's your money, only you can really answer this. But if it was me shopping - I'd take that 15' over the 14'.
I traded a 2013 for a '15 and it cost me a lot more than $8000. I don't reget it one bit. It's all the little things that you wish they would change and they did. Plus some Big things. so I say pony up and get the 15. Oh and yes it does have 6" more freeboard.

Oh and yes it does have 6" more freeboard.

Really? I can't imagine 1/2' more freeboard. My bad!
They had a 14' and a 15' sitting next to each other at the Hartford Boat Show - I crawled all over both - did not notice.
And here I thought my 212x was plenty deep.

I may be biased, but I say go for the '15. I loved my '07 and had not thought of making the move until the '15s. There are just so many things to love!

I traded a 2013 for a '15 and it cost me a lot more than $8000. I don't reget it one bit. It's all the little things that you wish they would change and they did. Plus some Big things. so I say pony up and get the 15. Oh and yes it does have 6" more freeboard.
@dancathy ! - X2 !

And Dan is not the only 1 here who has done the EXACT same thing.
The SUMMARY is this: For some strange reason, for which there are dozens of plausible explanations offered, Yamaha kept the same MODEL NAMES (numbers ?) from 2015 as in years past. However, by no means are they the same boat, except the engines are the same.

With the 24' lineup for 2015, Yamaha took a really good boats ... and made them FANTASTIC boats. Period.
Good luck in your decision, @seamew.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA+             CartoonWelcomeAboard 3 - seamew.jpg

Last edited:
I went with the 2015 also as my dealer had a left over 2014. I stopped him before he told me cost as I knew I wanted the 2015.

However, as others have mentioned, you have to make the financial desicion you are comfortable with.

15 is the way to go. The improvements are well worth it. Buy your second boat first and save much more than 8k.

Thanks again everyone for all of your comments... I guess the forum in unanimous and it's a testament to Yamaha, they've obviously listened well to their customer's and addressed some of the concerns of previous design generations rather than simply coming out with a "cosmetic refresh" that many other manufacturers do these days, they've actually made numerous significant fundamental design improvements in order to keep them ahead of the competition.

I'll keep you all posted on my decision!

I agree with everyone on the '15 call, if finances permit. For me, it would actually be the soundproofing that would be the most worth it. That affects so much (sound system, talking on the boat, fatigue at the end of the day, etc.) I think it is well worth the differential if it is half as good as they say it is now in the '15.

What would you all do if we are talking the difference in a new 2015 242 S and a used 2012 with less than 50 hours? (I am guessing the price difference would be closer to $15,000 different if not more.)

What would you all do if we are talking the difference in a new 2015 242 S and a used 2012 with less than 50 hours? (I am guessing the price difference would be closer to $15,000 different if not more.)
This is a difficult one to answer, as everyone's situation is different.
However, since the differences are so significant, and still not that many people understand or know that yet, here's my take:
IF you DO decide to purchase the 2015, not only will you have WAY MORE than $ 15000 worth of improved and enjoyable performance, but when it comes time to trade it in, you'll get it "back" then.

Like a Double Bennie ........ Far more enjoyable performance NOW and a better trade in later.

It's like the people who never made upgrade changes to their homes UNTIL they wanna list it. THEN they upgrade the kitchen countertops and put in new tile, and then sell quickly, having never been able to live with and enjoy the upgrades. I hope both this makes sense and helps you - Glad you're here and asking us. Sincere Best Wishes your way, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee. GA

Last edited:
I would think you could get the 2012 for closer to $20k less than a new one, certainly when freight, dealer prep and such is added to the new deal. I'd take the '12 in that case assuming its a nicely maintained boat.

Back