• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2017 212 Limited S

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot on this forum and have learned a ton. Thank you all who contributed to that. I finally made the jump over the weekend and purchased a left over but new 2017 212 Limited S. I started out with an old Bayliner for several years and the family really enjoyed it so I thought it would be a good investment. I got a deal that I couldn't pass. I am super excited but have a good 3-4 months before I set the maiden launch. I will use this time to prep the boat but wanted to make sure I get everything prepared for the season. I have a somewhat short check-list with some questions below. I am seeking for suggestion or anything that I may have missed.

1. Fix drain issue in the anchor compartment (check).
2. Install PVC trailer guides for easy launch/loading (check).
3. Keel guard (is this really necessary? If so, what is the best for Yamaha boats).
4. Anything else?

Again, thank you all as this has been a great source of information.

Best regards.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome @Sonny Nguyen
Replace the bow roller with a orange Stoltz roller.
Purchase and install Boat Buckles.
Check to make sure ballast fittings do not leak.
Check to make sure the co pilot seat is not too high for your wife.
Check for cracked diamond plate just behind the rear wheels on the trailer.
Consider replacing tires with radials.

And send us pictures of your family having fun once you get it on the water.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't forget the safety equipment- you said you had a previous boat, so you probably already know - but you don't want to spoil a trip out by getting a ticket or worse
https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF
You may want to check any laws specific to your boating area too.
For other equipment, maybe some water sports toys - we keep adding, and adding and adding those!
We also switched from a prop boat to a jet - take some time getting used to the different handling - I find backing in particular very different than with all the prop boats I've run.
Enjoy the new boat!

Papa Erp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a brand new AR210 about 6 months ago. I was surprised how much metal and plastic shavings are in the bilge from the construction process. All that trash slowly works it's way down into tbe bilge and out of the drain plug hole eventually. It's so bad that you won't be able to re-install the drain plug unless you clean it out. The first time I tried to clear the drain hole "trash jam" with my finger and ended up with a cut from a sharp metal shaving splinter.

Anyway, I got sick of littering the boat ramp with shavings and eventually gave the bilge a good flush with a garden hose at home.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a brand new AR210 about 6 months ago. I was surprised how much metal and plastic shavings are in the bilge from the construction process. All that trash slowly works it's way down into tbe bilge and out of the drain plug hole eventually. It's so bad that you won't be able to re-install the drain plug unless you clean it out. The first time I tried to clear the drain hole "trash jam" with my finger and ended up with a cut from a sharp metal shaving splinter.

Anyway, I got sick of littering the boat ramp with shavings and eventually gave the bilge a good flush with a garden hose at home.
Yep. Either that or I used a shop vac. Some of these shavings are sharp enough and can damage the plastic bilge plug/seal.

--

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all for the responses.

@buckbuck, thanks for the recommendations, I ordered a set of BoatBuckles G2. I noticed that one of the buckles came off when I arrived home. Luckily nothing happened but I had an OS moment. I also noticed that the bow is all scratched up from the factory roller. This boat has 1 hour on the engines so it hasn't been launched before. Nevertheless, a Stoltz roller is on it's way. What ballast fittings are you referring to? Are you referring to the water ballast? I will also check on the other items tonight.

@Pappa Erp, In regards to the shavings inside the boat - the new boat sat outside for 2 days of rain (the dealer did not have the deluxe cover so it's on order). The drain plug was open and initially draining water. I went on the boat 2 days later and there was a foot of water inside the hull of the boat. Sure enough the drain was clogged by the shavings.

Water has all drained out but it covered the lower third of the engines. Is there anything I should do before I try to start them?

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You can check the air intake boxes on the very front of the engine to see if any water got into them. If there's no water in the intake boxes, it should fine. Use a wet vac to suck out the water out of the plug hole at the stern. I sucked a ton of crap out of mine that would clog the drain whenever I pulled the plug. Haven't had any problems since.

I don't think your keel guard is necessary, unless you're beaching your boat on sand bars when partying.

I think you should check out the new lateral thrusters that Jet Boat Pilot is selling. I bought the Cobra fins for mine and several months later, the lateral thrusters came out - DOH!

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would you still recommend the lateral thrusters in conjunction with articulating keel?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board, be sure to check out the FAQ at the top of the page for lots of great tips,

lateral thrust was an innovative product, cobra has fangs that are forward facing to increase reverse control and reduce tension with "power steering" and an available extra tie rod for the other pump while forward turning but since thrusters are new we've not had any comparison reviews between the two systems yet,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and update you profile with your location, You may be able to give me ride! it will also add you to the member map,

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you should check out the new lateral thrusters that Jet Boat Pilot is selling. I bought the Cobra fins for mine and several months later, the lateral thrusters came out - DOH!
Well, you can "upgrade" to Thrust Vectors! LOL.

Otherwise, try adding MEGAs - those are fantastic.

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Sonny Nguyen
I would run the engines for a couple minutes and then check the oil. If it looks like a vanilla shake then plan on changing the oil a few times until it clears. I am not that familiar with the 1.8 motors but water coming up that high on them would give me concern.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sonny Nguyen
I would run the engines for a couple minutes and then check the oil. If it looks like a vanilla shake then plan on changing the oil a few times until it clears. I am not that familiar with the 1.8 motors but water coming up that high on them would give me concern.
I agree completely. But with a boat that new - potentially damaged sitting in the boat yard - this sounds like an issue the dealer should handle, no?

--

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks again everyone. I finally had time today to work on my new boat. I did notice the co-captain’s chair is high. How do I fix that?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wish I could give you some specific suggestions. I just tend to take things apart until it becomes obvious. Please take some pictures as you do it to help the next 212X owner.

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks again everyone.

Update:
Engines seem to be fine with no water issues. No cracks in wheel fenders but I will call Carlisle to see if I’m eligible for a new set of radials. Mine is a 2018 trailer. Replaced factory bow roller with the Stoltz roller.

Do the boats come with fire extinguishers? I noticed several signs that say “fire extinguisher inside” but I have looked and looked and no fire extinguisher anywhere.

I noticed that the door trim on the starboard side has cracks around the screws. Do you think the dealer will replace this considering this is a new boat?

There also seems to be cracks around the screw on the floor in the cockpit area. Is this normal and do you think that the dealer would replace it?

Attachments

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealer probably forgot to install the fire extinguisher. I would take the boat back and have them install that and fix those little issues before the season gets underway.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They do NOT come with a fire extinguisher. A dealer may provide one, but it is not a factory item.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. I thought the manual states it has one. Well dumb they put the stickers on when they don't provide one then. Mine came with on so I assume they all do. For safety they should tho.