• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2018 Yamaha 212X ........quality control and design issues

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I have a brand-new 2018 212X that I bought a couple weeks ago. I head out to Lake Powell for my first trip and there I discover some of the quality-control issues or the lack of attention to detail on my Yamaha boat. first off the USB will not recognize any media source including an iPhone, an android phone (galaxy S9) and formatted USB drive in NTFS format or FAT32 format. I had to lift up the engine cover to take a look inside and all the foam from the factory is hanging down. I also discovered that my windshield no longer shuts, The centerpiece won't fit in between the two windshields. When I'm leaving the lake it is mandatory to go through a federal mussel inspection. Lake Powell is currently infested with mussels as is Lake Mead and pretty much most of the lakes around here require a mussel inspection either before you go when for the ones that are currently infested and for an inspection when you leave for the lakes that are.

When I'm directed to the lane for boats of ballast I start to realize the engineers at Yamaha are asleep at the wheel. First off I discover to be able to fill the ballast (inspectors hook up host with connector to ballasts) Yamaha unlike the other boat manufacturers requires you to run the motor. I then discover the biggest design flaw, the bunk on the trailer completely blocks the rear ballast intake. To keep my boat from being impounded into quarantine I had the National Park Service remove the quick clips and manually fill up the tanks from inside the engine compartment. Then I thought I could just Trick the boat into thinking the ballast is full by filling it up hundred percent on both sides and then dumping it. Needless to sa that didn't work after almost 45 minutes of running the boat out of water and constantly filling it up to 100% and then dumping the ballast I still was halfway full with water inside the tanks. Now I run the risk of being quarantine going to another lake that requires an inspection upon launch because my ballast still contain water.

I started to tell the service guys at the dealershipand they pretty much completed my sentence and said the bunk blocks the ballast right? then he went and told me that this is been an ongoing issue for over three years. I am super pissed that they wouldn't even tell me about this issue when I'm buying the boat and they are well aware of all the inspections in the area. I called Yamaha and told them about the issue and basically they don't give two shits and then they told me that they're not even sure that the USB for the radio is supposed to allow music and maybe that's not feature on the 2018 model. let this be a warning to anybody that's looking at this boat model or even Yamaha boats there is not a customer service element within Yamaha.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You know your in trouble when you go to remove a cup holder and the screws are almost sideways

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cbpagent72 Sorry to hear about your troubles!
I would have to agree, the Yamaha ballast system is a bit of a joke. Can be done so much better aftermarket.

The USB issue has been brought up before, I believe some have managed to get it to work by tightennign the connections under the helm. I know... not what you think when trying to enjoy a new boat, but maybe easier than a visit to a dealer.

--