• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New 2020 SX190 owner - CJS VIPER AK19 w/ top fangs installed!

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all! First post but have been lurking for a little while and learning a lot from everyone here so thanks for all the info. Not to be insensitive but I was able to use our current situation to finally convince the wife we "needed" a boat. Perfect social distancing activity for us and the baby! Really wanted a center console but had to compromise with the wife who really wanted something more family friendly. I was quickly convinced when I saw how amazing a value the sx190 is. No other brand new boat for $30k could come close. 1.9% financing from Yamaha can't be beat either!

Had an old Seadoo speedster but that was almost 20 years ago. Even with twin engines (no independent F/R) slow speed maneuvering was always a disaster. After seeing everyone here go with the jetboat pilot or CJS system I decided on the AK19 system with top fangs for it's high speed influence as well (plus they're local to me). Even with the new keel and rudder the first couple times out I was very disappointed in high speed turning inherent to to all jetboats.

Installing the AK19 was a little more difficult than advertised and I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Not sure if something changed for the 2020 but I definitely could not install the bottom bolt without removing the "ride plate". Tried every way possible so I didn't have to break the seal on the ride plate but it was impossible. Should have just removed it and save myself an hour. Didn't reseal the plate yet and haven't noticed any increased cavitation from it. But HOLY SHIT it's a completely different boat now! Honestly the high speed tracking/planing advantages of the system are way better than the slow speed benefits. Anyone else with a newer 190 should immediately add this..

IMG_4352.jpg

Also added that Stoltz roller per everyone's recommendation, the gray hull was scuffed after the first use from the stock roller! Our "Hey hey" stray loves it too lol.

IMG_4354.jpg

First mate loves it too! Obsessed with being on the water:

IMG_4327.jpg

Last edited:
:Welcome: Great looking boat, you all are going to love getting out on the water with the sun and wind! Enjoy and congrats!

Must be a lot more complicated than the AK19 Super Ultimate. It took me about 19 minutes including the remount of the anode. I had looked over the instructions and watched Jeff's installation video. Boat handles better than a stern drive or outboard now. Crosswind tracking, at speed, was improved 10 fold. I had to turn the wheel half turn to keep it tracking straight in 15 mph breeze before. Now I don't notice the wind.
IMG_20200506_165455261_HDR.jpgIMG_20200506_165245937_HDR.jpg

What's the popular opinion on these v thirst vector wake?

Isn't that the Viper setup, looks same as my 2018 and I just added the top fangs but our weather doesnt allow for boating so far.

Must be a lot more complicated than the AK19 Super Ultimate. It took me about 19 minutes including the remount of the anode.

I never meant to imply it was complicated sorry. Super easy just the bottom bolt doesn't clear the ride plate since it's longer than the original bolt. My system is different than yours but yes I agree crosswind tracking is amazing now!

I guess it's the VIPER AK-19?

1589149994728.png

I think your right I just checked his site, looking forward to seeing how the top fangs work as I added them over the winter, best of luck on your new boat!

What's the popular opinion on these v thirst vector wake?
First off I have not compared the 2 brands on the boat, so anything I say is subjective on what I have.

When I did research I decided on the Cobras (model that I bought) because they appeared to be more adjustable. Plus you could set them to stay down during higher speed. It would be really nice if someone came up with a servo actuated unit so the fins would be adjustable at speed. Humm, I've got a 12V electric screw jack in the garage... We do like the extra control at speed and if someone driving (non jet boater) goes to idle thrust they have some control. Just my observations. I'm sure someone with lots of cash has tried both systems so do a search. I read for hours and never found this person. I'm happy with what I got so now I'm what they call "brand loyal" because none of us won't to feel like we made a wrong decision. This is why the word "Accident" was invented. Makes you feel like there was no causal factor when you screwed up.

I believe if you place the bolt and hardware in the hole up in the front of the plate first and slide it all forward together it will slide up to the bottom nozzle hole without messing with the ride plate, If you try to slide it all in after the plate is in place it won't fit. It is similar to installing the two tie rod ends to the rudder on a 24 foot keel boat you have to place everything together and tilt it to get it to clear the hull directly over the rudder.

Do they block the sideways thust of 19+ bucket? Its hard to tell from pictures, but it looks like they may allow for a sideways path. I would be very interested if that was the case. I have the AK 19 super ultimates and they block the sideways flow when in the down position.

do you have the latest style fins

Attachments

• super ultimate ak-19 deluxe.JPG
    super ultimate ak-19 deluxe.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
No there is an open space below the lateral thrusters:

IMG_4357.jpg

I did try sliding it in with the bolt and washers already in place but was having trouble getting it threaded due to the angle. I must have been doing something wrong. For me it was just way easier to remove the ride plate (only 4 bolts) then you have all the space you need.

69 dollars for both to upgrade

Did you want the new planing surface as well $35 and it just replaces your existing side force stabilizer

Attachments

• new super ultimate ak-19 single with the deluxe side force stabilizer planing surface installed.JPG
    new super ultimate ak-19 single with the deluxe side force stabilizer planing surface installed.JPG
    852.7 KB · Views: 67
Hey all! First post but have been lurking for a little while and learning a lot from everyone here so thanks for all the info. Not to be insensitive but I was able to use our current situation to finally convince the wife we "needed" a boat. Perfect social distancing activity for us and the baby! Really wanted a center console but had to compromise with the wife who really wanted something more family friendly. I was quickly convinced when I saw how amazing a value the sx190 is. No other brand new boat for $30k could come close. 1.9% financing from Yamaha can't be beat either!

Had an old Seadoo speedster but that was almost 20 years ago. Even with twin engines (no independent F/R) slow speed maneuvering was always a disaster. After seeing everyone here go with the jetboat pilot or CJS system I decided on the AK19 system with top fangs for it's high speed influence as well (plus they're local to me). Even with the new keel and rudder the first couple times out I was very disappointed in high speed turning inherent to to all jetboats.

Installing the AK19 was a little more difficult than advertised and I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Not sure if something changed for the 2020 but I definitely could not install the bottom bolt without removing the "ride plate". Tried every way possible so I didn't have to break the seal on the ride plate but it was impossible. Should have just removed it and save myself an hour. Didn't reseal the plate yet and haven't noticed any increased cavitation from it. But HOLY SHIT it's a completely different boat now! Honestly the high speed tracking/planing advantages of the system are way better than the slow speed benefits. Anyone else with a newer 190 should immediately add this..

View attachment 118433

Also added that Stoltz roller per everyone's recommendation, the gray hull was scuffed after the first use from the stock roller! Our "Hey hey" stray loves it too lol.

View attachment 118434

First mate loves it too! Obsessed with being on the water:

View attachment 118435
Thanks for the info ! Ordered mine today for my XS 190...!

Back