• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 242 Limited S owner - Michigan

chester2008

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been waiting to post here because I've already lost out on 2 boats that i thought we were buying this winter. However, next week I will be driving down to Charlotte NC to pick up a 2016 242 LS in white. This will be my first boat that I've owned but have shared a pontoon the last 3 years with a friend. My biggest worry is the drive back, roughly 11 hours towing a boat with the wife. I'll have standard tools, cordless impact, marine grease/gun and a floor jack packed. Anything else you suggest I should bring? Anything specific on the 2016's i should look for? Looks to be a well taken care of freshwater boat.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Congratulations and welcome! That is super exciting. I don’t have any suggestions beyond drive safely and enjoy the trip. I like to travel with an empty Visa Credit card and AAA (CAA in my case). We look forward to some pics 👍👍👍

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
:Welcome: and congrats on the new boat! You're one of the lucky ones. Please take and share pictures.

Notes:
  • Are you planning on taking it for a test drive? At Least start it before leaving.
  • I would bring a lock for the trailer cause you'll stopping at some point.
  • If there is no boat cover, you may consider storing the seats (unless they're hinged or locked down) in the towing vehicle.
  • Keep the boat a light as possible. Do not put a lot of gas in the boat.
  • Bring a spare tire for the trailer.
  • Should have straps to hold the trailer to the boat.
  • I assume the tag will be there while towing
  • Fold the tower down or remove bimini
  • Make sure your vehicle plug fits the trailer and the lights work
  • Correct size trailer ball hitch
  • Smile while driving her home
  • Good luck!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
  • Fold the tower down or remove bimini
Actually you're not supposed to fold the tower down when trailering unless you use the factory transport brackets which bolt into place. If you fold the tower it will bounce up and down when moving and damage the mounts possibly damaging the fiberglass or break the cables and damage the helm and tower.

Removing the bimini will help with wind resistance though.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Actually you're not supposed to fold the tower down when trailering unless you use the factory transport brackets which bolt into place. If you fold the tower it will bounce up and down when moving and damage the mounts possibly damaging the fiberglass or break the cables and damage the helm and tower.

Removing the bimini will help with wind resistance though.
You're correct, forgot to add that.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve done the tow from Ohio to Hilton Head with my 242 and back. In addition to the lists above, I’d add:
1) Check tire pressures before you leave, inflate to the full pressure listed on the sidewall. Seems like common sense but many people run theirs low and it causes premature wear and heating.
2) Check hub/bearing temp at every stop. I use a laser thermometer, but if you don’t mind getting your hand dirty, any hub that is much warmer than others is giving you your warning.
3) Not sure what cover you’ll have on your boat but if it’s the yamaha ratchet type, they have a tendency to chafe the gel coat at speed on long trips. Learned this the hard way. I do what several on this forum recommend and put blue painters tape from about the back of the tower to the aft corner on both sides where the bottom of the cover is.

chester2008

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for welcome and all the helpful info. We are taking it for a test drive and then may use it the following day if the weather is nice before heading north. The boat has the deluxe cover, and I do plan to protect the hull from the cover. I also plan to remove the Bimini as suggested. Is that a pretty simple task?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
inspect tire and replace with good year endurance if its too old. Some boat owner never replace tire cause they just tow locally or kept in marina and trailer tire rot in their backyard.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@chester2008

Congrats on the purchase and drive. So how did the drive go? You obviously made it lol... I havent towed mine nearly that far but plan on atleast a trip from GA to Destin FL this summer. That will be my longest tow.

BTW, Boat looks awesome!!!!

chester2008

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Drive went well. Little sketchy in West Virginia when construction had the lanes narrowed winding through the mountains. Definitely made you pucker just a bit. Makes me want to try for Florida next year for Bimini!